Launching apps from Recording service II

illsat

Hi,

As this did not work for me (do not know why) and some crazy stuff happened when I launched the sender script, I have written two small Java programs which will basically accomplish the same task but use a simple socket communication on any port on the machine. I have to say that it is very very simple right now but it is enough for what I need. Currently it cannot even deal with parameters for the applications to be started. You can always post here if something goes completely wrong, I do not want to put too much time into it, but I am always happy if I can help ;)

There is a server which is responsible for starting the apps and must always be running and a client which will contact the server for telling it what app to run.

You need to have Java installed on the computer where the two programs should run!

1) Inside the zip file there is a folder for each part, server (cmdServer) and client (cmdClient). Just extract the files to any location on your PC.

2) Edit the batch file in the cmdClient directory and edit the path to the javaw.exe and the path to the client program to reflect your setup.

3) Edit the batch file in cmdServer dir and edit the same information there. Also change the port if you want, default is 1234 in the batch file

4) Change the application.properties file with any text editor and enter the apps you want to start. There are two examples in the file. You will need the key in front of the equation sign for the parameter to pass from the recording service task.

5) Create a shortcut to the server batch file and place it in your startup folder.

6) Open the recording service configuration and add a new task for each application you want to start from the web interface. There is a screenshot in the root of the zipped file!

For the parameters, first put the port the server is listening to (step 3), the second parameter is a key in the application.properies file. You can also put a full path to an application here if you do not want to use the properties file.

Thanks to the moderators I was now able to attach the file directly to this post (I cannot edit the misspelled title though :biggrin: )

Till

post-97798-0-37179500-1295478107_thumb.png

Programs.zip

Edited by illsat

Hi illsat!

Did try your java script and didn't get it to work. I'll try it again when having more free time on my hands. I have corrected a code misstake in the original Launching applications from Recording Service script. This was probably the cause you wasn't abled to get it to work the first time tried. Might be a nice addition if you ever wanne execute apps with parameters.

:bye:

Hi majstang!

Thanks for your feedback! If you find something out, let me know, maybe the description is just wrong as it works fine for me :)

The reason why I am using it is because I can also do some things with another PC from the internet. The "server" part has a very simple text interface and uses a socket so I can use Putty to start programs or shut down the PC on which the recording service does not run.

I will try your changed script, but not in the next view days as I do not want to touch my recording machine right now ;)

:bye:

Edited by illsat