Question about Summer Time

Cian

Hi,

The clocks go forward in Ireland and the UK this weekend. Unfortunately, I have a recording starting in the middle of the night (Australlian Grand Prix to be precise!). At the moment, the EPG is showing programs starting "misplaced" an hour out.

I know that I just have to put an extra hour either side of the recordings as a buffer, but how does DVBViewer cope - does it adjust the recording start times on the programmes in the timer list, or does it just "ignore" the time change. If so, does this mean that depending on the start time of the recording and the time of the computer adjusting the clock, I could potentially "skip" the recording start time, thereby missing the recording completely.

Thanks for any info,

C.

Hi,

The clocks go forward in Ireland and the UK this weekend. Unfortunately, I have a recording starting in the middle of the night (Australlian Grand Prix to be precise!). At the moment, the EPG is showing programs starting "misplaced" an hour out.

I know that I just have to put an extra hour either side of the recordings as a buffer, but how does DVBViewer cope - does it adjust the recording start times on the programmes in the timer list, or does it just "ignore" the time change. If so, does this mean that depending on the start time of the recording and the time of the computer adjusting the clock, I could potentially "skip" the recording start time, thereby missing the recording completely.

Thanks for any info,

C.

DVBViewer and Recording Service always mess up when summer/winter time arise. i am used to it now and i handle it manualy. But it would be nice if they could handle it from the program.

Info: last winter, just before change to wintertime, all schedulerd recordings went wrong, nothing was recorded at the correcet time, it was a mess!!!

DVBViewer and Recording Service always mess up when summer/winter time arise. i am used to it now and i handle it manualy. But it would be nice if they could handle it from the program.

Info: last winter, just before change to wintertime, all schedulerd recordings went wrong, nothing was recorded at the correcet time, it was a mess!!!

To be fair, I'm not sure how easy it would be to handle it from within the programme. First it would depend on knowing how your EPG handled the change. As for the timer, an hour would have to be added for all recordings add to the timer for programmes after the change but added before - unless it was a repeating programme, in which case it should stay the same (assuming that your EPG was showing the "wrong" time) and then ......

At least this way we know that we have to sort it out ourselves :blink: !!

C.

The EPG was correct, in my case. In my country (Denmark) the change are going to happen 27/3 at 2:00. So the EPG correctly say that "Programme" starts 27/3 7:00 in the morning, which means 7:00 after the change. Windows automatically change the systemtime to 2:00, so it should be easy to implement that the scheduled "Programme" should start to record 7:00 Windows time, but it dosen't

I'm not sure how easy it would be to handle it from within the programme.

Not that easy. I've implemented a new standard/daylight saving time handling in the latest DVBViewer GE version (see members area, read the ReadMe!). Internally all dates / times are stored and processed as UTC, thus not being affected by the change, and translated to local times when it comes to displaying them in the UI.

However, this translation requires consideration of time zones and standard / daylight saving time periods. DVBViewer GE must be able to find out whether a certain UTC time falls into a standard or daylight saving time period. Since Windows provides the transition date/time (see here), it can be calculated.

There are four main difficulties:

- The internal UTC representation requires changing the date/time handling throughout the whole program. It was a lot of work in DVBViewer GE, and it will be considerably more work in DVBViewer Pro and the Recording Service.

- The correct handling of local dates/times in the UI is quite tricky because there are invalid times (e. g. standard -> daylight transition at 2:00 am, 2:30 never occurs) and ambiguous times (e. g. daylight saving -> standard transition at 3:00 am, 2:30 appears twice). In the latter case it has to be signalled somehow whether a time is standard or daylight saving (DVBViewer GE uses a coloured background, cyan = standard, yellow = daylight saving). Furthermore, when the user enters an ambiguous time, he additionally must specify whether it shall be interpreted as standard or daylight saving time. Invalid times must be rejected... quite a lot of programming hassle.

- In the southern hemisphere the standard -> daylight transition occurs in (our) autumn, and the daylight saving -> standard transition in spring (just the other way round), requiring additional case distinctions.

- The code can only be tested twice a year ;)

Nevertheless I've tried... and used a kind of simulation for testing, which made DVBViewer GE believe that there was a standard -> daylight transition e. g. at December 12th, 2:00 am, and back at at December 13th. This worked so far (unfortunately the wheather didn't conform to it...), but it has not been tested "in the wild" up to now. Maybe you can try and tell me how it works. If it works well, it will probably be adopted for DVBViewer Pro and the Recording Service, sooner or later...

Easy if, like me, you use recording service and most of your recordings are added by autotimer.

On Sunday morning (or Saturday night after your last recording) just delete all your timers.

Then the next Autotimer after the clock change will pick everything up at the right time.

For the GP, try adding an autosearch timer for it, then set an autosearch to take place at 4am Sunday morning.

That should add it at the right time.

Easy if, like me, you use recording service and most of your recordings are added by autotimer.

On Sunday morning (or Saturday night after your last recording) just delete all your timers.

Then the next Autotimer after the clock change will pick everything up at the right time.

For the GP, try adding an autosearch timer for it, then set an autosearch to take place at 4am Sunday morning.

Great advice, i will try that, thanks! (it is now in my Outlook schedule for this summer and fall, hope then the problem will be fixed)

When daylight savings time change I always had problems, recordings ended early or start later, the EPG records have been bad times or double items. I'm looking forward to it might be better in the future.

... but you don't seem to realise that I am an incredibly awkward person incapable of doing things the simple way when there is a hard way :wacko: I am actually trying to record the whole of the interactive streams transponder which is on no EPG anywhere :blush: (But thanks for the tip - I was not aware of the Autotimer feature - must investigate :biggrin: )

Now i am confused. As i understand it, there was only made changes in the GE version to handle summer/winter times, not the PRO version, but jhrdlicka reported that the change worked fine. I can't confirm, that because i went up 4:00 and deleted all timers. And 5:00 they was all reprogrammed by the autotimer.

So the question is: Are there any change in the way Recording Service handle summer/winther dayligth time, so that i don't need to wake up 4:00 two times a year to handle it manually?

DVBViewer media server:change DST i had almost OK in all pages, except <Search EPG> where I had the bugg , search EPG sometime returns double items with 1 hour shift. I had delete epg.dat to fix this problem.

jose

• 7 months later...

DST moved time and i have the same problem now , in EPG some items are duplicated with a shift back one hour. Other items are OK. What I can do it?

post-18671-0-01983900-1320001377_thumb.jpg

Edited by jhrdlicka