Stability problems with DVBViewer and Terratec Cinergy HTC USB XS

AlexanderM

Hello,

I'm enduring major stability problems with DVBViewer 4.6 and a Terratec Cinergy HTC USB XS. Windows 7, latest Terratec drivers, multiple complete reinstalls of hardware drivers and DVBViwer itself over the span of almost a year. I frequently run into one of the following problems:

1) DVBViewer just suddenly starts freezing the picture, only updating it once every 5 minutes or so. Sound continues without a problem.

2) DVBViwer just freezes up completely, often when attempting to perform a channel change.

Additionally, when killing DVBViewer after one of these two things have happened, it'll stay in the task manager and be unable to be killed completely. I have to wait several minutes for the hardware to release, or something like that. Sometimes when I restart it after having waited a few minutes, it'll complain that no hardware is available, or just never be able to tune, just sitting there doing nothing when I choose a channel.

It happens very often and is super annoying. :(

Are there some settings I could toy around with in DVBViwer, or is my tv tuner card just poor? Should a USB tuner work as well as a PCI tuner?

Thanks

support.zip

I was having the same problem, made worse by increasing numbers of discontinuities and a blocky picture. The cure (for me) was to uninstal all unused video players, all codecs and tuner drivers, reinstal only the codecs that I needed and the tuner drivers, reinstal DVBViewer over the top of the original instal and it's all running sweet again.

I think the main problem is having too many codecs installed, including the ones supplied with some of the video players.

Edited by mr_chaela

I pretty much just have CCCP installed. I know it includes a lot of codecs, but I need them for video watching.

I'm particularly confused by all the various renderes and decoders you can choose in DVBViewer. Which ones are you using now? I'm talking about all the options under Options->DirectX. I have no idea what's best or worst. :)

Edited by AlexanderM
I have no idea what's best or worst.

@AlexanderM, by installing a codec pack you've made a decision for the worst option. Pls. add a support.zip

Video:

Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder for H264

Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD10) for all others

EVR Enhanced Video Renderer

Audio:

MP3 Decoder DMO for mp3

Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder for all others

Default WaveOut Device as Audio Renderer

AC3Filter as Audio Postprocessor (to enable AC3Filter for file playback as well as live TV)

and CCCP as default install to enable mkv files

This gives me good results on live TV and on the more difficult mkv's

I think you will really have to try all combinations to find what's best suited for your hardware.

Edited by mr_chaela

have you done an search on this forum?

This tuner rock. Install terratec home cinema( google for terratec ftp, in folder Terratec Home cinema), download latest version, because it contain latest cyberlink codecs.

Choose cyberlink terratec for video and also for audio.

Right click on DVBViewer window, go to View-Filters-DvbSource, look at 2 settings, one is with 300ms, another with 500ms.

If you have others valors exchange them.

Uninstall CCCP and install K-lite( google it).

I also have these freezes, but rare IF i use Cyberlink Terratec Codecs.

I have 3-4 freezes/day, but my win7 is crap, from 3 years ago, i update any beta version over and over, then RC, then win7 final.

On another PC( client PC), i have 1 freeze/day.

How do i resolve this?

When freeze appear, i close and reopen DVBViewer, or soemtimes i just change channel to another one, then back to previous channel.

If i use AC3 filter, or fddshow for AUDIO, freeze are very often.

Microsoft-same problem as ac3 filter.

Use cyberlink for audio

Edited by bogdan1980

Video:

Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder for H264

Cyberlink Video Decoder (PDVD10) for all others

EVR Enhanced Video Renderer

Audio:

MP3 Decoder DMO for mp3

Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder for all others

Default WaveOut Device as Audio Renderer

AC3Filter as Audio Postprocessor (to enable AC3Filter for file playback as well as live TV)

and CCCP as default install to enable mkv files

This gives me good results on live TV and on the more difficult mkv's

I think you will really have to try all combinations to find what's best suited for your hardware.

Just did a reinstall of CCCP, latest version. When I tried to start DVBViewer, nothing worked. Reinstalled completely and configured from scratch as per your instructions, and it froze after 5 minutes of watching. Now I can't even kill nor restart DVBViewer, it just hangs forever.

Sadly, this is pretty much the most unstable piece of hardware/software I've ever used. :(

Edited by AlexanderM

Sadly, this is pretty much the most unstable piece of hardware/software I've ever used. :(

I really dont think you can blame hardware/software in this case. Installing codec packs of any kind is nothing more than abuse of the directshow system and not surprising you are having problems. Directshow is a delicate thing and very easy to corrupt beyond repair. I would not be surpised if only solution for you is a complete format and reinstallation of windows.

Why is a codec pack so bad? CCCP is well regarded and is merely a collection of codecs (as far as I know at least).

I've given up on DVBViewer and am back to the crappy Terratec Home Cinema, which is at least stable. Guess I'll have to play more with the decoder options.

Edited by AlexanderM

Why is a codec pack so bad? CCCP is well regarded and is merely a collection of codecs (as far as I know at least).

I've given up on DVBViewer and am back to the crappy Terratec Home Cinema, which is at least stable. Guess I'll have to play more with the decoder options.

Well, if google "problems with codec pack" you get over 30 million hits. Should be proof enough, but here is the long version:

http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/Why_Codec_Packs_Are_Bad

i think your computer is the culprit.

You could try trial version of dvblink, progdvb to see if it's working.

In DVBViewer, you could try VMR9 instead of EVR

I give you some instructions previous post, have you read them?

You could also post here screens with your settings in DVBViewer to help you.

You do not know what is a real unstable tuner, a one that give you blue screens every time you use, and when is working you get squares on images.

And after 3 years and new drivers, tuners is ok....after 3 years...( leadtek pvr 3000)

Some of users( including me) could help you with Teamviewer, remote desktop connection, conecct to your comp and look into DVBViewer( in this time you see all that is doing on your screen and also you could disconnect in any time remote conecton)

Edited by bogdan1980

also it seems that arcsoft video codec has problem with HD channels, crashes and freezes appear when watching hd channels,and they appear in any directshow app, dvbdream, winfastpvr2, hauphhagge wintv,etc,do not use it.

http://www.arcsoft.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8431&title=arcsoft-codec-problems

You could also try to disable hardware acc in codec when you watch dvbviwer to see if it working.

How to do that? Set Cyberlink Terratec video codec for mpeg2 and h264 in DVBViewer.

Go to an sd or hd channel, click on view-filters- cyberlink terratec video codec.

But, before you click on cyberlink terratec video codec you must HOLD "CTRL" and then click on cyberlink terratec video codec.

If you do that in cyberlink some hidden settings will appear.

Disable :Use DxVA, then close and reopen DVBViewer( or click on view-rebuilt graph) and see how it's doing.

Also you could try an older driver( you will find it on their ftp), i told you to write on google terratec ftp , find your tuner folder, and download the drivers( diferrent version)

Must be your system setup because I've used this tuner a lot and its great.on windows 7 I only installed the AC3Filter and no other codecs or the Terratec software and had no problems,on vista I used the arcsoft codec and no probs either.The HD I was watching/capturing was mpeg2 HD from cable though so that might make a difference? I do a lot of viewing on satelite cards and never touch codec packs,IMHO there not needed.

I appreciate all the replies :)

I've been holding back on trying anything out because I'm not sure what I'd do without a codec pack. I have videos in all sorts of obscure formats and codecs that I need to watch.

Sadly, I can't reproduce this easily, but I'll try some of the suggestions and let DVBV run for a while over the next couple of days and see.

I also have DVBV running on a 2nd monitor, maybe that makes a difference? I also frequently play a 3D game (World of Warcraft) while watching TV.

• 2 weeks later...

do more testing with v4.8, terratec cyberlink codec for video and audio, best stability.( from terratec home cinema)

tried them all

Just wanted to say that I took your advice and uninstalled CCCP, the codec pack. I simply use ffdshow now, and to my surprise, it plays everything. :)

I turned off DirectX in DVBV, and used Cyberlink codecs where possible. Haven't had a freeze or crash yet!