MHEG (no bugs any more)

uglyned

Hi,

tested MHEG today on UK Freesat and Freeview and it just kept crashing the whole DVBViewer.

Also when MHEG is used to change channel,sometimes the channel changes OK (sometimes it crashes) but even when it does change, the MHEG software disappears. For example when I switch to the sports multiscreen channel, I have options 1-6 for which sport I want to watch. But when I choose, say, 3 and press it, it just changes to channel 3 like normal.

Video seems to freeze quite a lot while MHEG is running.

iPlayer didn't seem to be available.

Just to watn you - judging by the first few minutes testing, MHEG is going to take a lot of work before it behaves properly.

support.zip

Edited by uglyned

Hi,

it only crashs if the key is not correct. Please make sure that the CRC inside the eMail you received is equal to the one shown by the key tool.

Again: You have to type in the correct key into the key tool, otherwise it does not work. The engine does not verify the key, so if its crashing, the key is wrong.

Christian

PS: You can send me an eMail (no PM) and we can have a look together on it..

Also, when tuned to a channel that has MHEG stream, not many normal OSD functions seem to work.

OSD menu brings up MHEG text, not OSD menu.

OSD OK, up down etc don't do anything.

Some channels have 2 different MHEG entry points - 'text' - teletext equivalent, then the 'red button' that brings up a more context sensitive menu. At the moment, both 'OSD Menu' and 'Red button' seem to do the same thing. Or crash.

Just a bit more on the video freezing.

It seems to happen when the MHEG app fills the full screen, with no opacity.

Most MHEG screens fill some of the page and you can see some of the original video still playing in the background.

Some, like the full weather maps on BBC, remove all background video and the full screen is taken up with the MHEG screen, and no opacity.

In these cases, when I return to the video by exiting MHEG, the video is frozen. Changechannel / rebuild graph works OK, so nothing serious goes wrong.

The behaviour is correct, if the Mheg Application takes over command, the remote actions are sent to the application. If the key has been accepted the OSD wont receive the command. All regular STB's act in the same way, and i did not found a solution to handle the regular OSD and the Mheg5 Display in the same time.

Do you have a page on BBC which causes this behaviour? You might try to open this page, when the DVBViewer is in debug mode (-debug)

Christian

You mean something like this?

page.jpg

I only have a few outdated streams here, but it works like it should. Can you provide a ts dump of it (could be done via Transedit)?

Christian

I am experiencing lots of crashing too

DVB-S Astra/Eurobird 28.2°E

Pinnacle 7010ix driver version 6.0.3.9

Gibabyte GA-770T-USB3 (rev. 1.0) F4 Bios

Sapphire HD4830 1GB 11.2 catalyst drivers

support.zip

Edited by dodge135

You mean something like this?

post-1-0-22731100-1303323215_thumb.jpg

I only have a few outdated streams here, but it works like it should. Can you provide a ts dump of it (could be done via Transedit)?

Christian

That screenshot is from DVB-T. I can't even get DVB-T to load at the moment - crash straight away.

The crashes were on DVB-S BBC 1 and BBC 2.

Attached debug.log - started DVBViewer, went to BBC2 (Satellite), loaded MHEG, saw some screens, exit MHEG. Then went to change channel and crash.

Now getting crashes just when changing channel to / from MHEG - not even when trying to load MHEG.

Having read the first two posts, I think it's likely that my problems with MHEG-5 are a result of not being able to enter the key correctly. In its present condition my set-up crashes every time, unless I un-install MHEG-5.

The new key-manager starts by declaring that I have no administrator rights, which in untrue. (The old one didn't.) It lets me "Run as..." and, if I run it as myself, it then thinks that I do have administrator rights! But, to get this far I have to tick a box that says "Protect my computer and data from unauthorised program activity....". I suspect that this protects me from adding the key data to the registry! It certainly stops me from deleting my main DVBViewer Pro key, because Delete is greyed out.

After that I enter the right key with the right e-mail address and I get the right checksum. I press Save, I get no error message, but Unlock is not greyed out. I run DVBViewer and it crashes the moment it tries to display MHEG-5 stuff.

What am I doing wrong?

Someone help me please?

support.zip

Hi,

i had spent almost the half night to fiddle out which kind of problem you have. Maybe it is just because of the lack of sleep, but i have absolutely no idea what went wrong. The engine should only crash, if the key has been entered not correct.

@John D: What happens if you restart the key tool, once you typed in the mheg key? Does the key appears in the unlock subwindow?

@Dodge: I tested the stream but the mheg application works without any crash so far.

bbc.jpg

Christian

Is there any more information I can provide to help solve the problem?

I have tried re-installing DVBViewer 4.8 , and MHEG but it is the same, lots of crashing.

The keys/checksums are correct, and I have no problems when MHEG is not installed.

Thank you

I'm having the same problems.

The keytool says:no admin rights (WIN XP SP3).

I can't enter the password.

When I switch to a BBC-channel, the volume goes up to 100%.

I get an error-message when I use the remote.

useless

All i can say is that we are working on it, so please give us at least some hours...

Christian

PS: We found a problem with the key and try to fix it. I keep you informed, so far don't panic - just wait a bit until its fixed. Then you should be able to redownload the app and everything should run like intended. :(

We reuploaded the DVBViewer setup and everything should run fine now. The keytool should no longer display the "Missing Admin Rights" under XP and the key is stored like it should.

We reuploaded the DVBViewer setup and everything should run fine now. The keytool should no longer display the "Missing Admin Rights" under XP and the key is stored like it should.

My Key problem with XP SP3 is solved and the MHEG seems to work so far with BBC.

Has anyone else reported a problem with Cinergy HTC USB XS HD DTT stick? It works fine under TransEdit, and is seen as a device by DVBViewer but won't lock on to any channels when doing a scen and so won't work under 4.8. I reinstalled the drivers, but with no luck. I noticed that there were some updates for other Terratec cards so I wonder did this mess it up for my particular one.

P.S. Christian - Your first e-mail got caught by a spam filter, so I could not reply - Sorry.

The new Keytool is now working for me. Many thanks. I feel very bad that I kept you up all night.

With limited testing, so far, everything is working.

There's one little problem which I think I should report. On DVB-T radio, not TV, the sound cuts out as soon as MHEG-5 starts. I have found a work-around. In the View menu I turn on Audio/Video Disabled and then turn it off again. The sound comes back and all is well until I reload DVBViewer. (This is not a problem worth staying up all night!)

Thanks again.

The Sound issue is not a bug, because mheg is able to change the Volume and the Aspectratio of a Stream. I did not have had a radiostream here to test, but i am open minded in every good idea how to improve the handling. But step by step, because Iplayer and so on have higher priority :)

Thanks Christian - much more consistent now.

Noticed an odd thing on satellite.

When I press red and choose sport multiscreen,the channel changes (to one of the STREAM channels) as I would expect. However, after the channel change, the MHEG application has disappeared.

If I do the same thing on terrestrial, the MHEG application remains, like would expect.

This might be a fault at the BBC end, as their sport multiscreen is still in development I think.

Anyway thanks for working MHEG. Now I can find out how many goals my football team have lost the game by, without needing to go and find a laptop.

Hmm, good question. I can not receive it here without installing a monster dish on the roof :) I probably have to assemble some sort of laboratory with sample streams in order to get it working. Maybe if there is someone with a bigger online connection able to create some sort of ts dumps of the required transponders? I'm also in need to get a few larger dumps from australia, this takes a longer rat tail with it - once you started implementing such a thing. Even if there are standards and specs, everyone interprets them different..

Christian

The behaviour is correct, if the Mheg Application takes over command, the remote actions are sent to the application. If the key has been accepted the OSD wont receive the command. All regular STB's act in the same way, and i did not found a solution to handle the regular OSD and the Mheg5 Display in the same time.

Just a little more on this. If you do ever have any ideas about how to keep MHEG in the background on an MHEG enabled channel so that regular OSD commands still work it would really help with usability. Something like teletext - let the user know there is an MHEG stream there, but don't engage it until they press the relevant button. If it's not possible, never mind.

One workaround I found, if I'm on an MHEG enabled channel and I put the guide on then off, that disables MHEG. I can't re-engage MHEG til I change channel but at least I have OSD control back.

(PS This might be a bug but please don't fix it!)

Still got the full screen issue on BBC MHEG on satellite only.

Any page that goes full screen, like those weather pages or page 7001, stops the video stream, and sometimes the audio stream too.

Needs a channel change or rebuild graph when exiting, to resume video and audio.

Just a little more on this. If you do ever have any ideas about how to keep MHEG in the background on an MHEG enabled channel so that regular OSD commands still work it would really help with usability. Something like teletext - let the user know there is an MHEG stream there, but don't engage it until they press the relevant button. If it's not possible, never mind.

One workaround I found, if I'm on an MHEG enabled channel and I put the guide on then off, that disables MHEG. I can't re-engage MHEG til I change channel but at least I have OSD control back.

(PS This might be a bug but please don't fix it!)

I was about to ask if it were possible to temporarily disable mheg. This workaround works fine. Please don't get rid of this 'feature'.

btw. mheg is working fine on my win7 x64 system.

Video scaling

I'm not sure that video scaling is working properly.

On DVB-S, if I open MHEC and select news, MHEG goes full scren and a small window appears on the left which is like a window on a full screen video. If DVBViewer is running in windowed mode, or in full screen after being windowed (ie after double click), the video scales properly.

But if I open DVBViewer in D3D exclusive, the video does not scale.

I tried in non-D3D exclusive full screen, but video was a bit jerky when MHEG was present.