Channel Chang gets darn slow after update

Mostly Harmless

I use DVBViewer 4.5.0.0 (this was the current version when I purchased the program)

When DVBViewer 4.6.0.1 came out, I updated to it. From that point, the change between the channels became very slow (5-10 seconds), even Windows signaled "DVBViewer is not responding")

I restored the old 4.5.0.0 and it worked fine again, so I guess it's not a hardware issue.

Now when 4.8.0.1 released, i tried again. And this one produces the same error. 5-10 seconds for every channel change, and "not responding" warnings from windows.

I put back 4.5.0.0 again but i guess there is another solution.

(I attached support.zip. For some reason it says I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS, but in fact I have an Nvidia GTX560. The 8800 gts was long ago.)

support.zip

• 2 weeks later...

from 4.5 and up, channel switch is slow, live 3-5 sec on same transponder( SD), 4-8 sec on other transponder, and 8-14 sec on HD...

Progdvb change channels in 1-3 sec on different transponder including HD.

Right now, even Dvblink change channels faster then DVBViewer.

I use DVBViewer 4.5.0.0 (this was the current version when I purchased the program)

When DVBViewer 4.6.0.1 came out, I updated to it. From that point, the change between the channels became very slow (5-10 seconds), even Windows signaled "DVBViewer is not responding")

I restored the old 4.5.0.0 and it worked fine again, so I guess it's not a hardware issue.

Now when 4.8.0.1 released, i tried again. And this one produces the same error. 5-10 seconds for every channel change, and "not responding" warnings from windows.

I put back 4.5.0.0 again but i guess there is another solution.

I have same problem. Slow channel change after update.

TV-card: TerraTec Cinergy HTC USB XS HD with 5.09.1202.00 driver

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P and Intel P45 chipset with 9.​2.​0.​1030 driver

Graphics card: Gigabyte GV-R485MC-1GH (Radeon HD 4850) with 11.5 catalyst driver

support.zip

• 3 weeks later...

I have same problem. Slow channel change after update.

TV-card: TerraTec Cinergy HTC USB XS HD with 5.09.1202.00 driver

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P and Intel P45 chipset with 9.​2.​0.​1030 driver

Graphics card: Gigabyte GV-R485MC-1GH (Radeon HD 4850) with 11.5 catalyst driver

support.zip

I have the described problem too. Different hardware, but same TV-card, TerraTec Cinergy HTC USB XS HD. I noticed that from 4.5 to 4.8.1 the the name of the cabletuner (in hardware settings) change from "Cinergy HTC USB XS DVB-C Tuner (3)" to "Cinergy HTC USB XS DVB-C Tuner (2)".

Edited by Berni
from 4.5 and up, channel switch is slow, live 3-5 sec on same transponder( SD), 4-8 sec on other transponder, and 8-14 sec on HD...

Here it takes 1 second or less (SD, Hauppauge Nova S2 HD, SkyStar S2, TerraTec Cinergy T2). Dunno what you have done to make it so slow...

However, the Cinergy HTC USB XS DVB-C Tuner and other EMPIA based hybrid devices are a special thing. There were several reports saying that channel switching often doesn't work at all. Eventually we found out that the drivers can't cope with a modulation (like QAM 64, QAM 128...) specified by DVBViewer. So we changed the internal EMPIA handling by passing Modulation = Auto to the drivers regardless of the channellist settings in order to avoid the problem. Unfortunately the hardware is not really able to auto-detect the modulation. So the driver tries the modulation values one by one, until it gets data. That's what makes switching between transponders so slow.

The EMPIA handling is triggered by the following entry in the file hardware.xml (see configuration folder):

<entry name="Vendor">28</entry>

You can try to disable it by setting the value to 0 while DVBViewer is closed. Dunno what it will do - I don't have such a device, so I can't test it. Of course the modulation settings in the channel list must be correct in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not have <entry name="Vendor">28</entry> in hardware.xml

i only have:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<settings>

<section name="@device:pnp:\\?\usb#vid_0ccd&pid_00ac#100302001397#{71985f48-1ca1-11d3-9cc8-00c04f7971e0}\{7c8095ab-c110-40e5-9f4d-310858bbbf64}">

<entry name="HasCI">1</entry>

<entry name="UseHardwareFilter">1</entry>

<entry name="NoStandard">1</entry>

<entry name="useMSNP">1</entry>

<entry name="Name">Cinergy HTC USB XS DVB-T Tuner (5)</entry>

<entry name="TunerType">2</entry>

<entry name="Status">0</entry>

<entry name="InstID">Cinergy HTC USB XS DVB-T Tuner 4</entry>

<entry name="DeviceNr">5</entry>

<entry name="Priority">2</entry>

<entry name="Tag">0</entry>

<entry name="ClassID">{EAFB3270-65C7-4662-99D6-C06D5E009FA3}</entry>

<entry name="Groups">255</entry>

<entry name="Retune">5</entry>

<entry name="SkipComponents">0</entry>

</section>

Also, why Progdvb change channels fast? Like 1-3 sec on differents transponder, sd or hd?

I notice that progdvb, dvbdream change channels fast compare to DVBViewer, but they do not have rec service....

Edited by bogdan1980

In progdvb my tuner settings is :

[Modules]

CurDeviceFile=BDA.Device

CurDeviceID=-61571168

Caption={BDA} Cinergy HTC USB XS DVB-C Tuner

CurDeviceCount=3

StartDevice=1

EnableCI=1

[bDA]

DiseqRepeats=2

DiseqDelay=200

SetIsNotStartMoreOneDeviceAtOnce=0

UseTuneRequest2=1

DemuxRequest=1

SymbolRateInKS=1

bda 2885 tvtuner c~=0

Maybe progdvb and dvbdream use other settings for this tuner, that makes channel switch very fast.

<entry name="Vendor">28</entry> in hardware.xml is only in 4.8, in 4.5 or older this entry do not exist.

Even if i change it to 0, ch switch is the same for me with 4.5, 4.6 or 4.8:

on same transponder, 1-2 sec on sd, 3-5 sec on hd.

on different transponder, 4-5 sec on sd, 4-10 sec on hd

All are free channels, not encripted.

Second, i post here 2 videos, one is with channel change in DVBViewer, other with channel change in progdvb,

HD Channels that switch in 8-10 sec on DVBViewer they change in 2-3 sec on progdvb.

SD channels that switch in 4-5 sec on DVBViewer they change in 2 seconds on progdvb.

progdvb video: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2V8A3UOI ( download link)

http://www.esnips.com/doc/143310d1-1e26-47c1-95fc-af2d17e94df8/capture-DVBViewer ( live video)

DVBViewer video: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1X2CTPTP ( download link)

http://www.esnips.com/doc/81634a6e-a16e-4b47-af24-f794c769d1fe/capture-progdvb ( live video)

Edited by bogdan1980
Even if i change it to 0, ch switch is the same for me with 4.5, 4.6 or 4.8:

Try <entry name="Vendor">4</entry>. Any change?

Second, i post here 2 videos,

Useless. As long as we don't know what is causing the difference, thousand videos won't help.

I tried Vendor>4 , same situation, HD channels switch are over 6-10sec.

I tried with or without rec service, but rec service does not influence switching channel time.

I tried Vendor>4 , same situation, HD channels switch are over 6-10sec.

Vendor = 4. It is supposed to disable the special EMPIA handling in DVBViewer described here. What I want to know is the behaviour of these drivers/devices without any special measures. Unfortunately none of the developers is able to receive DVB-C, so even if we had such a device, we couldn't test it, and it's all up to user feedback.

Anyway, is the DVB-C modulation in your channellist set to the correct value? If it is set to "Auto" you will get the same results with all vendor values.

Modulation is AUTO, i will try with 256 an 64.

With vendor to 4, and modulation to auto, i have 15sec on some hd.

EDIT: i set corect modulation, vendor 4, but ch time is worst, like 15-20 sec on hd, and sometimes signal is 0 on my channels.

vendor 4 is worst for me.

With modulation to AUTO, some channels switch on same transpodner are fast, like 1.5 sec, but with modulation to manual( 64 and 256), those channels that switch in 1.5sec became 4 seconds now.

I will stay with auto modulation till now.

Edited by bogdan1980

Anyway, is the DVB-C modulation in your channellist set to the correct value? If it is set to "Auto" you will get the same results with all vendor values.

in my case, modulation has been set to QAM 256, and it didn't help.

Find something strange:

Install DVBViewer, rec service, set everything with my terratec cinergy htc xs hd, and let's say i enter portal and get new DVBViewer version.

Install this, delete tuners from options-hardware, scan devices, set them in DVBViewer and rec service.

Now i have black screen on DVBViewer, i know this bug for 1.5 year at least. If i delete my tuner, and unicast from hardware and scan devices again in DVBViewer and rec service, live-tv dissapear.

And i found the fix....Enable Use internal network provider filter.

If i install DVBViewer on a fresh window, use internal network is disabled, and is working.

But if i delete my tuners and add them again, i must use internal network( in this situation channel switch is very slow).

All the options are the same.

This is the crazy bug, and i could reproduce this over and over.

This stupid bug cost me a lot of time, maybe weeks...because after an update live-tv not working, till i found the fix, yesterday.

Edited by bogdan1980

Have you tryed this

The Default settings from the DVBViewer are selected in a way to work in all situations.

In most cases you can tweak the settings for a faster zapping.

But if you have trouble first check if it works with the Default settings.

Here the settings which may increase the zapping speed:

Options > DirectX

Video Renderer = Overlay

Audio/Video Format Detection disabled.

Options > TV + Radio

Fast Channel Switching enable

Channel Switching Delay disable

Options > Hardware

Stop Stream while tuning disable

New tuning method enable

View > Filters > DVB Source

Max. Queued Audio (TV/Radio): 250 ms

Max. Queued Audio (File): 0 ms

Latency: 20 ms

(if I use lower values i get trouble with some channels)

Change DiSEqC = None in the Channel Editor if you did not need it.

Sorting the channels in such way that channels on the seam frequency are in a row.

And remember some settings do not work with all channels/decoder/hardware. If you get trouble go back to the default settings.

Its in this board somewhere

Regards wikings1

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to come back to this topic (sorry, a bit late, but there were a lot of other things to do...).

I did some researches concerning the "slow channel switching" issue with TerraTec HTC and other EMPIA based DVB-C USB devices in the meantime, digged through old forum posts, compared the current code with the DVBViewer 4.5 code etc. There are hints for a possible reason, but Idon't know for sure because I can't test it.

However, if there are experienced people who are willing to participate, we can try some things with TransEdit test versions here. First of all I'd like to know the scanning behaviour of the current TransEdit 3.7.2 release.

The expected behaviour: Due to the slow switching between transponders "Scan All" (scanning the whole transponder list) takes a long time. Results from at least some transponders may be missing, because the time until data arrives exceeds the PAT timeout (see Settings -> Scanner2 tab). If yes, try to increase it to 10000 ms.

okay, i downloaded transedit and started a full scan. it is indeed slow... i started the scan at 12:24 local time, now it's 12:31 and so far it has found the first 24 channels... the scan progress is 70 / 324.

27 minutes total

That's really slow. :blink: Here a full Astra 19° East scan (84 transponders) takes less than 3 minutes with a Hauppauge Nova S2 HD. Are there some frequencies in your transponder list that deliver no results? Please tick Settings -> Scanner 1 -> Mark transponders without signal, repeat the scan, save the transponder list and attach it here (it is located in the configuration folder, see Info menu), so I can see how many transponders are involved.

Attached: The first TransEdit test version 3.7.2.12. It is a restricted version, but Scanning and Preview (if DVBViewer is installed) works. Store TransEdit_Test.exe in your DVBViewer installation.

Basically I reverted to the DVBViewer Pro 4.5 handling of EMPIA devices. That means:

1) No forced Modulation = Auto. The driver will receive your modulation settings.

2) TransEdit tries to set an additional parameter called Spectral Inversion. It's non-standard for DVB-C (not supported by BDA, requires a vendor specific interface). Some time ago we got a message from TerraTec saying that applications don't have to handle it anymore, because the driver will do it automatically. So we dropped it - maybe not a good idea ;). Anyway, if TransEdit gets no signal with SPECTRAL_INVERSION_NORMAL after 500 ms, it tries SPECTRAL_INVERSION_INVERTED.

Now let's see what it does... preferably use Settings -> Hardware -> Use internal Network Provider filter on, because that seems to be more promising ATM.

TransEdit_3_7_2_12_Test.zip

probably i screwed it up, because i didn't find european cable standard, so i chose blind scan...

now testing with this new transedit_test stuff...

ok. done.

it run for 7 minutes. found all channels.

transponder list attached.

CableQ256_1.ini

probably i screwed it up, because i didn't find european cable standard, so i chose blind scan...

A Blind Scan always takes more time.

it run for 7 minutes. found all channels.

According to the X marks in your transponder list you've no used "Scan All" successfully, right?

What about the Preview function (launched from the Scanner Window, after the scan is finished)? Does the test version improve the tuning speed significantly?

I need a lot of very precise feedback for finding the best solution.

According to the X marks in your transponder list you've no used "Scan All" successfully, right?

i did use "scan all" and found every digital channel.

there are empty transponders in the transponder list because the digital channels are mixed with analog channels.

What about the Preview function (launched from the Scanner Window, after the scan is finished)? Does the test version improve the tuning speed significantly?

yes, it does, if you ask that i can change channels in the preview window.

I need a lot of very precise feedback for finding the best solution.

i do what i can but i don't promise anything. :)

• 1 month later...

I just test TransEdit_3_7_2_12_Test, not working at all for me, no channel are found, but with the same settings, i could use transedit 3.7.2 from user/pass section.

I will test also TransEdit 3.8.0 to see if that sees some channels.

I also have installed rec service, but from what i see transedit could scan even if rec service is started.

Edited by bogdan1980

EDIT, just tested 3.8 transedit and 372 test, it works, it get channels but i need to set AUTO at modulation, with 64 or 256 is not working.

If i have an transponder with 0 modulation, like 14=474000,0,6900 is owrking.

It takes 1 minute to scan 14 transponder that are with my channels, but channels scan is the same, 3 sec on same transponder, 5 sec on other transponder and 6 or more for hd.

This is crazy, because some guys say that with modulation to auto tkey have 30 sec for HD....but not me.

Edited by bogdan1980
but i need to set AUTO at modulation, with 64 or 256 is not working.

That's the problem. Some users experience the same, for others it's only working with a specific modulation like QAM64 or QAM256, otherwise tuning takes up to 30 seconds.

I think in your case HD transponders take longer, because with auto-modulation the driver performs a "bottom-up" search for the correct value, and QAM256 ist the last one in its list ;) I have no idea why the driver can't tune when it gets the correct modulation value from TransEdit (I've checked it. The modulation is passed correctly via a standard BDA interface). No other DVB-C devices are behaving like this.

Anyway - I hope I can find someone who knows more about the internals of these devices. If not, there is nothing left but providing a "force auto-modulation on/off" hardware option. A questionable solution, that won't make tuning faster in your case.

Well, because i am a big big genius, i have found the fix for Empia chipset.

After many many many many months( maybe 1.5 year) of testing, searching, trying, and gets my brain out, I FIND THE FIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For channel switch slow time problem on empia chipsets.

Little tutorial for empia users( Terratec, Haupphauge, MSI DigiVox, Sundtek, etc,etc,):

My case, let's say i have 2 transponders, one with QAM 64, and other with QAM 256.

Scan my channels, are found, but channel switch time is awfull, well, you only need to go to DVBViewer Menu, Channel List Editor, and here we have in the left the channels, and in the right some info and options, you just need to set modulation in the right, from AUTO to 64, or 128, or 256, WHAT SUITS YOU.

How do you find if the fix work?

If i set 256 qam, click apply, and go to that channel to preview, if it's open in 1 second, then it's the right qam set, if not, change it to 64, or 128..If it not open at all(black screen) set another qam option.

You need to choose an channel, click on it in the left, then on modulation in the right, choose right qam( 64, 256), and click apply, if you go to next channel to set qam without clicking apply on first channel ,then modulation get back to AUTO.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/462/rightqam.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/ek3gar.jpg

Now, even if i click on an HD channel, that are on another transponder, switching time is <2seconds...impressive, huh?

What strike me back was that on dvbdream, dvblink + mce, or only mediacenter, progdvb, those switch channel in 1-2 seconds, even HD.

Now we have fast channel switch in DVBViewer as well....

Now, if you need a newer driver for empia chipset, install manually this driver:

http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/drivers/IC_drivers/2010VIDEO/BDA_UAC_WHQL_082010_Setup.rar ( this is from empia chipset producer)

It work on all empia chipsets, like Terratec H5, H6, Cinergy HTC XS HD, Haupphauge 930c, MSI DigiVox, Sundtek , etc + a lot more, it's a generic one.

After that scan again in hardware the new tuner, it's called BDA 2885 or something.

Now, for Griga, we need a new option in channel editor that set for all channels in the list the good qam, example 64, instead of auto .

Because for me, with 120 channels, i get one by one manually to set the qam.

Let's say i have 100 channels, 80 are on 64, 20 on 256qam, its better to have an option to set 64,256, for ALL CHANNELS, i click on this option, all my channels are now on 64 qam, and the rest of 20 channels i could put manually to 256.

Do i receive an prize for the finding? :) an viewer licence for my nephew?:)

Do i receive an prize for the finding? :) an viewer licence for my nephew?:)

unfortunately, no. :)

in my case the modulation is set to QAM256 from the beginning and channel change is still slow with the 4.6 or higher versions...

still, I will try this new driver what you've found.

Edited by Mostly Harmless

If channel change is slow with 4.6 and up, use 4.5 till a new version appear that fixed this.

Also, you could try this driver as well, http://www.sundtek.de/media/sundtek_driver_windows_110718.rar

But only for 32 OS, its not signed.

With this driver my problem is fixed.

Also, there are 2 situations when channel switch is slow:

1.In any DVBViewer version youl have switch channel slow, 4-10sec, till you set the "good" qam in channel editor.

2.Only in 4.6 and up, but with 30sec or more, this one will be fixed , from what i heard from Griga, they change something in newer version, but they could also get back to old settings(like in 4.5)

Edited by bogdan1980

Confirm that setting corect modulation instead of AUTO it work also on my TUNER MSI DigiVox mini Trio and Haupphaugge HVR930C.( all use same hardware)

For all 3 of my tuners, Terratec, Haupphauge, and MSI i used sundtek latest driver from http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/45551-channel-chang-gets-darn-slow-after-update/page__st__30__p__343677#entry343677.

I do not test with official drivers , but maybe i will.( i do not have enough time)

Now, with cyberlink drivers v9,v10,v11 for video, and fddshow or other for sound, i have 1-2 sec on all channels, SD, HD, cripted or not.

If i use microsoft for video, channel switch time grow with 1 second, i have maximum of 3 sec.( and also image appear much latter on screen compare to cyberlink, and i have a black screen till channel is change)

For now i tested this fix with v4.5 of DVBViewer and 4.81, workin on both.

tried this new unofficial driver, it works, but channel change still the same slow if i change channels between transponders.

within the transponder, channel change speed is normal.

tested with 4.8.1 and qam256 setting.

reverting back to 4.5 again...

Do more teting today, and guess what, with terratec driver and terratec tuner, not working, modulation change to manual has no efect.

With msi tuner and msi driver, not working.

All my tuners are working with Sundtek driver, not with their oficial driver, and not with generic driver from EMPIA.

If all of use use sundtek driver then is working, in 4.5 and 4.6 channel change is fast<2sec, and in 4.8 are <5 sec on all channels.

If i use terratec driver with terratec tuner, and change modulation to 256 for example, macroblock appear on image, signal is 20%( with red) and image is freezing, i could not watch an single channel with modulation to manual.

I tried with all qam, like 32,64,128,256, not working at all on any, except for auto( but then channel change time is worst).

And i was uninstall old driver, restart, install new driver, refresh hardware on rec service and DVBViewer....

CONCLUSION for empia users: use sundtek driver if you want channel switch fast.

If you use sundtek all dvb app are working with it(dvbdream,progdvb,etc), except Mediaportal( do not see the tuner).

Also with sundtek, dvbc is working by default in mediacenter, without DVBlink.

This means that sundtek modify something in empia driver.

I know that about 1 year or so, Griga tell me to change modulation to manual, but at that time was not working...now know why,

Edited by bogdan1980
tested with 4.8.1 and qam256 setting.

That's useless as long as DVBViewer 4.8.1 handles the device as EMPIA tuner, because in this case it internally forces auto modulation, or with other words, your modulation settings are ignored. Please read this again.

However, it should be possible to disable the EMPIA handling e.g. by changing the vendor value in the file hardware.xml from 28 to 4 while DVBViewer is closed (to 0 as suggested earlier possibly doesn't work, I have to ask Lars about it). After that DVBViewer should handle the device as a normal DVB-C tuner without special quirks. Please note: Performing Options -> Hardware -> Scan Devices restores 28.

So please try a patched hardware.xml, optionally in combination with the driver suggested by bogdan1980.

Let's summarize: There are two groups of users encountering different kinds of issues with these odd DVB-C tuners:

1) Tuning only works with modulation set to to auto (not very fast, however). No go with a specific modulation like QAM64 or QAM256. That's why the "forced auto modulation" was introduced in DVBViewer. bogdan1980 belongs to this group (and one of our beta testers). According to bogdan1980's report the sundtek driver fixes this issue.

2) Tuning only works with a (correct?) specific modulation setting (thus not with DVBViewer 4.8.1, as long as the forced auto modulation takes effect). Obviously "Mostly Harmless" and "FreakshowDK" (see this thread) belong to this group. FreakShowDK's test results with TransEdit 3.8.0.4 suggest that this kind of issue is solved by handling the device as normal DVB-C tuner, because that's what TransEdit 3.8.0.4 does if Settings -> Hardware -> Force Auto Modulation is unticked.

So what I need now is a confirmation by "Mostly Harmless"... please try patching the hardware.xml, as suggested above, and/or try the TransEdit 3.8.0.4 test version.

I have to ask Lars about it

I did. Vendor = 0 in the file hardware.xml lets DVBViewer Pro 4.8.1 (in contrast to TransEdit and DVBViewer GE) perform a new device detection each time when it is launched. So this value is not suitable for our tests. Sorry, I didn't know. As already mentioned above: Try Vendor = 4.

• 2 weeks later...

No more feedback here? So I will regard this matter as closed now.

The "force auto modulation" handling for EMPIA-based DVB-C devices, as implemented in the current DVBViewer version (use Modulation = Auto regardless of the user settings) can be disabled by tweaking the file hardware.xml and setting the vendor value to 4.

Issue 1 (as described here) is basically covered and solved by the current "force auto modulation" implementation. However, channel change speed can be enhanced by disabling "force auto modulation" and using the driver proposed by bogdan1980.

Issue 2 can only be solved by disabling "force auto modulation", because in this case the driver obviously needs to receive specific modulation values from the application. Success was reported here.

So all we have to do in future DVBViewer/TransEdit versions is to provide a more convenient way of switching "force auto modulation" on/off.

sorry for the late answer, but i worked day and night in the last two week, so i didn't have the time to fiddle with the tuner...

so, in short, DVBViewer 4.8.1 with the new non-factory driver and the special vendor setting in hardware.xml changes the channels in acceptable time.

but with this new driver parts of the epg randomly disappears and later reappears, which is kinda annoying... so i don't know what to do: stick with the old DVBViewer and factory driver, and a trustworthy epg, or the new DVBViewer with the non-factory driver and not use epg? after you got used to it, it can be missed...

It should also work with the previously used driver and the vendor.x=4 tweak, because you are belonging to the "issue 2" group. Try... however, it is quite unlikely that the EPG issue depends on the driver, if video and audio are ok. Rather on the broadcaster. A similar issue was reported here.