.TS video thumbnailing broken by Recording Service

In Win 7 HomePrem, I used to have video thumbnailing working for all of my ".ts" files. That's until I installed the Recording Service.

After tinkering with the Registry, I found that Recording Service is the one that actually ruined the thumbnailing for me.

By changing the following registry key from:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.ts]
@="{89C76D3A-6B6A-4CC5-A237-42D617C12896}"

to its original one:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.ts]
@="{1E589E9D-8A8D-46d9-A2F9-E6D4F8161EE9}"

I got my beloved ".ts" thumbnailing back.

Edited by BelowSky

Hi,

Many Thanks to you. I have this Problem since I installed RS in 2009 and nobody in the past cant solved that. For me to fix this issue is very important. (w00t)

@Developers, now you can fix this Issue in RS installer...

Best Regards

Harald

• 2 weeks later...

In Win 7 HomePrem, I used to have video thumbnailing working for all of my ".ts" files. That's until I installed the Recording Service.

After tinkering with the Registry, I found that Recording Service is the one that actually ruined the thumbnailing for me.

By changing the following registry key from:

@="{89C76D3A-6B6A-4CC5-A237-42D617C12896}"

to its original one:

@="{1E589E9D-8A8D-46d9-A2F9-E6D4F8161EE9}"

I got my beloved ".ts" thumbnailing back.

It's nice to have the thumbnails back! However reverting back to the original registry key has some unfortunate drawbacks. RS seem to install some kind of enhanced media identifyer function which makes the fileproperties look completly different if comparing to windows defaults. With this enhanced media identifyer you are abled to identify both video/audio formats. In fileproperties "Videocompression" you can see if the .ts is "MPEG2" or "H.264". When changing the key back to the original one for .ts in the registry, the media identifyer fails. Instead of videocompression "MPEG2" or "H.264" you will get a registry key in properties. In my case this is really bad, cuz I'm using a Comskip commercial removal script which depends on identifying which format the .ts has. After the registry change my script suddenly fails, cuz it can not interpret a registry key. This change should also effect RS in a simliar way. Can't say how exactly, cuz I have no idea how RS uses it.

Since this disappearing thumbnails issue seem to be a very old problem I suspect the developer was forced to do a trade-off to make it work as he wanted. This trade-off could very well be this changed .ts registry key, cuz the original did exactly what I'm describing, to the prize of thumbnails do not work correctly. Ideal would be to have'em both working of course, so lets see if the developer could give us some insights about this and let us know if it is fixable at all :bye:

Edited by majstang
  • 1 month later...

Sadly, the new Mediainfo.dll in RS 1.9 did not fix the issue with the missing thumbnails for .ts files. Is this a known bug within Mediainfo.dll? Bug searching on their site gives very little on the topic and very little info on Google as well.

Edited by majstang
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

anyone has an fx for thumbs missing on ts? and not only on ts, on .mkv, on bluerays, etc.

only avi and mpeg2 thumbs are shown.

anyone has an fx for thumbs missing on ts? and not only on ts, on .mkv, on bluerays, etc.

only avi and mpeg2 thumbs are shown.

You could try renaming .ts to .tts, but of course Recording Service absolutely should not do this, has anyone pmed Lars about it?

Not sure if this is helpful, but my system still has the "original" key described above and thumbnails still work. I don't remember having to change it.

I get some extra media information while hovering over a ts file in Explorer, but don't know if it's anything to do with RS.

Currently on 1.9.2. I always installed new versions over previous ones. Win7 x64

Not sure if this is helpful, but my system still has the "original" key described above and thumbnails still work. I don't remember having to change it.

I get some extra media information while hovering over a ts file in Explorer, but don't know if it's anything to do with RS.

Currently on 1.9.2. I always installed new versions over previous ones. Win7 x64

RS does install the mediainfo.dll, which is the app reponsible for the extended media properties. This one is not optional..it gets installed automatically. The fileinformation you see when hovering over a ts file in explorer does come from an another app named explorer recording properties. You have to actively check this box in one of the first splashscreens appearing when installing RS.

As i have understood it the mediainfo.dll is the one changing the "original" registry key and replaces it with it's own making the ts thumbnails fail. It's a bit strange you have the "original" key still and thumbs working, maybe there's a difference when installing mediainfo.dll on 64-bit systems.

It's hard to find any info about this and devs doesn't seem to be very intrested in enlighten us either.

I had the Mediainfo application installed on my PC before buying DVBViewer. It's been updated at least once since then. Current dll in Mediainfo (x64) program folder is version 0.7.50 dated 23 Sep 2011.

Version in DVBViewer x86 folder is 0.7.49, probably installed with RS 1.9.2. I can't see any way to tell which is in use when I hover, but the context menu item opens up the 0.7.50 GUI. There is also a "MediaInfo_InfoTip.dll" in the Mediainfo folder described as "MediaInfo Shell ToolTip" - maybe that's what I'm seeing.

It might be worth installing the full app, creating a restore point first, of course.