External subtitles (.srt) don't play with .mkv files

SimonP

I think I mentioned it some time ago but are you aware that there's a problem with playing .mkv files with external .srt subtitles? They just don't appear and right-click/subtitles says "None". Open the same file in Zoomplayer or VLC and they display perfectly.

(The subtitle file has exactly the same name as the video file and is in the same directory.)

The funny thing is that subtitles muxed into the .mkv file work fine.

Could you look into this please? I keep wanting to make DVBv my main video player, then I try to play a file with external subs and remember why I can't :)

Attached is the mediainfo data for the file I'm trying in case there's anything there that's causing it.

Cheers,

Simon.

The.Chicago.Code.S01E11 - Mediainfo.txt

Edited by SimonP

Running into the same problem I solved this recently:

1. manual: OSD blue key => subtitles menu => stream (0). By this method subtitles are shown by DVBViewer

2. automatically: by means of Post Processor Plugin load DirectVobsub (auto-loading version). By this method subtitles are shown by DirectVobsub.

Thanks for your reply Robodoc but it doesn't fix it for me.

1. Selecting the subtitle menu either that way or by right-click still shows "None".

2. Yup, I have DirectVobSub installed and have 'Autoload' selected in Haali but still no dice.

(I even installed the latest versions to make sure but it was still the same)

If I open the same file in Zoomplayer or VLC it shows them perfectly without any interaction.

I've tried it on several computers running various versions of DVBv and it's still the same so I don't think it's a configuration problem.

Could the devs look into this please?

-----------

Later: Ah-ha, I just discovered that changing the H.264 codec from PowerDVD10 to DivX Decoder Filter allows them to work! I guess I can live with that but it proves that there's definitely a problem there.

Edited by SimonP

For playing video files I use Haali and ffdshow (Windows XP Pro SP3, updated).

1. No idea

2. Autoload selection in Haali is not sufficient. You must install the Post Processor Plugin and configure it to load DirectVobsub (auto-loading version). Installed DirectVobsub has two flavours (normal and auto-loading version) with different CLSIDs. 9852A670-F845-491B-9BE6-EBD841B8A613 is the right one.

Thanks guys, I haven't played with Post Processor Plugins (yet) but using DivX Decoder Filter codec is working nicely for me so I'm happy enough now.

Shouldn't DVBv be able to handle this without extra plugins though?

Very good question! This is an another reason to not use DVBViewer for fileplay. It can just not match the big alternatives yet featurewise. Hopefully devs could focus on making fileplay mode better, despite DVBViewer is mainly a software for TV and recording (a field it is unmatched). There are many suggestions & ideas that never have been realized.

There are good reasons for handling it this way. If DVBViewer would allow the DirectShow GraphBuilder to insert postprocessor filters automatically, particularly people who have blindly installed codec packs would experience how scores of useless filters are spoiling playback, disabling DXVA etc.

The plugin allows to select the filters that you need/want in a targeted way, and it can be easily updated, so people don't have to wait for a new DVBViewer release if a particular postprocessor turns out to be necessary. It is the most flexible solution, giving a maximum of control.

Very good question!

...and a very bad answer. ;)

...and a very bad answer. ;)

I really cant say I was trying to answer the question, just stating DVBViewer needs lots of work regarding fileplay mode in order to measure up against its freeware competitors. Maybe it is time buying stronger glasses ;)

You are abusing this thread as stage for your off-topic opinion. Feel free to open another thread for it if you need to, but stop it here, or we have to stop you.

There are good reasons for handling it this way. If DVBViewer would allow the DirectShow GraphBuilder to insert postprocessor filters automatically, particularly people who have blindly installed codec packs would experience how scores of useless filters are spoiling playback, disabling DXVA etc.

I have to say that I'm surprised that this is the recommended solution as:

- DVBv is the only viewer to have this problem - it works in all the others I've tried

- External subtitles are quite common so having to use an add-on seems an odd way to enable them

- It is not at all clear that this is the case

- They work fine with DivX Decoder Filter so why not PowerDVD?

- Why make everyone suffer for the benefit of those who choose to use codec packs?

I don't mean to fight about this but subtitles are essential to me and many others and since using .srt files is the most common way of providing them, it seems strange to have to install a plug-in to make them work, especially when muxed subtitles work "out of the box".

Anyway, DivX is doing the trick for me so hopefully anyone else having this problem will search here and have the choice of solutions.