BBC HD transponder switch to DVB-S2

uglyned

..a rescan will be necessary for most receivers even with auto-modulation if the parameters are cited correctly ;)

Satellite: Astra 2D tp.50

Frequency: 10,847MHz (vertical polarity)

Modulation: DVB-S2, QPSK

Symbol Rate: 23.0

FEC: 8/9

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about this.

However, is it me or does this make no sense? AFAIK the BBC HD channels on Freesat have been on DVB-S2 from the start, not DVB-S, so what are they changing? Does anyone have a DVB-S tuner that can receive HD?

Edited by SimonP

The BBC HD channels and the one ITV HD channels have been DVB-S, I've been happily watching them on my DVB-S cards

Until Monday that is :mad:

The BBC HD channels and the one ITV HD channels have been DVB-S, I've been happily watching them on my DVB-S cards

OK, my mistake, thanks. Sorry for your loss on Monday, that's a real pain.

Switch has been made, probably for FTA 3D transmission of Wimbledon:

10,847 V

DVB-S2, QPSK

SR 23,000

FEC: 8/9

Edited by dvbrewer

OK, my mistake, thanks. Sorry for your loss on Monday, that's a real pain.

It's a real pain alright, I think there will a lot of people looking for dvb-s2 cards today.

TBS twin tuner via Amazon looked like the best bet to me.

The easiest way to update your transponder- and channellist:

1) Launch TransEdit (latest version 3.7.2 required)

2) Select the Astra 28° East transponder list on the left side of the TransEdit main window.

3) Select the 10847 V transponder on the right side of the main window

4) Correct the transponder parameters as reported by dvbrewer (see above, Symbolrate 23000 without comma/dot, Pilot Symbols off)

5) Click Apply on the right side.

6) Click Save on the left side (saves the changes to the transponder list file)

7) Click Scan Selected

8) Click Update All in the scanner window (updates all channels in DVBViewer accordingly).

Done.

anyone having a problem with the sound since the change over i cant get any sound with audio PID 5401 can only get sound with audio PID 5402 but thats got the audio description

I'm having a problem locking on to the BBC channels (Hauppauge NOVA S2-HD).

post-88449-0-77890800-1307388272_thumb.png

Can anybody advise whether all of my settings are correct?

It's a real pain alright, I think there will a lot of people looking for dvb-s2 cards today.

TBS twin tuner via Amazon looked like the best bet to me.

I have a TBS 8920 single tuner S2 card and found it a bit flaky. It worked reasonably well in DVBViewer but was hopeless with MediaPortal, which I also use. I'd recommend the Hauppauge S2 card, although I'm not sure if they do a dual tuner version.

(Sounds like a good time to sell the 8920 though! hehe.)

Your LOF settings seem to be wrong. 10847 MHz is low band (all frequencies up to 11700 MHz), so the LOF should be 9750, not 10600 MHz.

I'm having a problem locking on to the BBC channels (Hauppauge NOVA S2-HD).

The only difference between your pic and my working settings is that my LOF is set to 9750, try that.

(Didn't see Griga's message before posting this)

Edited by SimonP

Mine is working (same card) but my settings are:

VPID 5400

APID 5402

TPID 5403

PPID 260

CPID 5400

EPID 6941

Before I could get the favourites to work reliably, I had to delete the previous entries for BBC HD and BBC1 HD from the ChannelList.

I was wondering why I couldn't find the BBC HD channels. I'd only just started watching them on my PC too!

So....and sorry if this is an obvious question (I have searched and we all have different levels of knowledge so I'm asking because I don't know!), but I have a Technisat DVB-PC TV Star PCI tuner. Am I right in thinking that will not allow me to see the BBC HD channels now?

Looking at that TBS Dual tuner....at least it works with XP! I just want to be able to watch Wimbledon in HD!

Edited by Kevin Steggles
but I have a Technisat DVB-PC TV Star PCI tuner. Am I right in thinking that will not allow me to see the BBC HD channels now?

..right, you'll have to replace it by a DVB-S2 device.

Thanks - I wasn't sure if my card was an S2 device. I'll have to decide whether it's a luxury just for the office, but I'm good at convincing myself.

Looking at that TBS Dual tuner....at least it works with XP! I just want to be able to watch Wimbledon in HD!

Well I bought a TBS 6981 Dual from Amazon Uk, works fine. Even mentions DVBViewer on the box!

I've returned from holiday and now I just can't receive the BBC HD channels using DVBViewer following the BBC's move to DVB-S2. I've tried a complete re-scan and there's nothing there. I can get Channel 4 and I know my Technisat SkyStar HD2 is DVB-S2 compatible. I've searched for the TransEdit mentioned above but I can't find it for download because I can't seem to get access to the members' area. I've no idea where I'm going wrong. It just won't accept the login and password I use. How can I receive the channels? Can any kind person help me through this process? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks for any help.

Longer term you'll probably need to get that access thing sorted.

Shorter term, find the transponders folder in your DVBViewer data directory. If you're on Windows 7 it's probably c:\program data\cmuv\DVBViewer\Transponders

Make a backup of 0282.ini

Edit 0282.ini in Notepad.

Find the line starting with 10= (it should have BBC HD at the end of the line)

Change it to

10=10847,V,23000,89,5,|BSkyB, BBC HD

Save the file, then scan again.

Mine is working (same cacard) but my settings are:

VPID 5400

APID 5402

TPID 5403

PPID 260

CPID 5400

EPID 6941

There are now 2 BBC HD channels both on 10847v; namely BBC HD & BBC One HD. The former is as original, but with new settings, the latter mirrors BBC1 SD content in HD.

BBC HD

VPID 5500

APID 5501

TPID 5503

PPID 258

EPID 6940

CPID 5500

BBC One HD

VPID 5400

APID 5401

TPID 5403

PPID 260

EPID 6941

CPID 5400

Also ITV HD has appeared on 10847, but I can't tune to it, in fact my system tells me "no hardware" if I try. Something for the future?

btw: the first I knew about these changes was last week when a recording I'd set started doing multiple recordings. Board regulators could we have a thread for UK changes so that UK users could have a focal point to exchange info?

Cheers

Steven

The BBC only announced it a couple of weeks ago so it caught most of us by surprise.

The trouble with a UK section is that everyone else will want one too... :)

The trouble with a UK section is that everyone else will want one too... :)

I didn't mean a whole section just a pinned thread so it could be easily found and subscribed to. It could be this one except it's heading is too specific. And why not let who ever wants one have one too!

There are now 2 BBC HD channels both on 10847v; namely BBC HD & BBC One HD. The former is as original, but with new settings, the latter mirrors BBC1 SD content in HD.

BBC HD

VPID 5500

APID 5501

TPID 5503

PPID 258

EPID 6940

CPID 5500

BBC One HD

VPID 5400

APID 5401

TPID 5403

PPID 260

EPID 6941

CPID 5400

Also ITV HD has appeared on 10847, but I can't tune to it, in fact my system tells me "no hardware" if I try. Something for the future?

btw: the first I knew about these changes was last week when a recording I'd set started doing multiple recordings. Board regulators could we have a thread for UK changes so that UK users could have a focal point to exchange info?

Cheers

Steven

The ITV HD channel you refer to is a Sky ITV channel which is encrypted which is why you are unable to tune it. Transedit does show that it is encrypted if you check.

The BBC HD channel is broadcasting at 1920x1080 ATM with a higher than regular bitrate due to Wimbledon. It's a pity they didn't make it permanent and do the same with BBC 1 HD. Otherwise all that extra bandwidth is wasted and will probably end up being used for BBC2 and BBC4 at some point in the future.

The BBC HD channel is broadcasting at 1920x1080 ATM with a higher than regular bitrate due to Wimbledon. It's a pity they didn't make it permanent and do the same with BBC 1 HD. Otherwise all that extra bandwidth is wasted and will probably end up being used for BBC2 and BBC4 at some point in the future.

I hadn't noticed (not watched live TV recently) but that's great. Let's all write to the BBC saying what a difference it makes and how happy we are with the upgrade. Embarrass them into leaving it on perhaps?

If you think this makes sense, pass it on. The more people who write, the better chance there is of them upgrading to 1920.

BBC Contact Page:

https://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbcfaqs/emailstatic/emailPage?entryID=&id=&moduleID=television

Later: Wow, what a difference! I hadn't realised just how bad 1440 was.

Edited by SimonP

Hi guys - long time lurker here :)

I've just come back from a 3 week holiday and noticed that my BBC One HD and BBC HD have stopped working.

I have tried a channel re-scan (using the settings on the screenie below) which fails to locate any of the BBC HD channels. So I tried to manually add BBC One HD, again to no avail. Can someone advise to my why I still can't see the channel? I can confirm that my ITV1 HD and other terrestrial channels are working fine. I have a TBS QBox DVB-S2 tuner.

Many thanks :)

Don.

Channel settings

channel.png

Scan settings

scan.png

Edited by donkeycart22

Don.

Video Type = H.264

Audio Type = AC3

Cheers

Steven

I tried those settings too but unfortunately, no luck.

Any other ideas on what else I can try?

Don.

post-103869-0-66812800-1308860978_thumb.png

Did you make the required changes using TransEdit as mentioned by Griga earlier in this thread?

Cheers

Steven

I tried those settings too but unfortunately, no luck.

Don.

My modulation is set to QPSK (yours is Auto), not sure if it makes any difference.

By the way if you get it to work , do you suffer with artefacts ?

Did you make the required changes using TransEdit as mentioned by Griga earlier in this thread?

Cheers

Steven

Hi Steven,

I've tried that too but TransEdit crashes and complains that it cannot find my DVB device. Also, I have tried a channel scan through Windows 7 media centre, but that too also fails to detect the BBC 1 HD and BBC HD channels.

Don.

Check your device is visible in device manager. Might be worth deleting it from device manager and let w7 discover it again.

Frank