Hide Rec. service password in client application (DVBViewer)

pankov

Currently the password to access the Recording service from DVBViewer is shown in clear text in the client's options window.

I find this a little bit worrying because everybody who gains access to the client can also access the service from the web interface and change the password and in doing this "lock out" the "owner". I know that it's then possible to change back the password from the rec service configuration window but it's just added complexity.

I think the password field should be marked as such and show only ****** the same way it's in the web configuration of the service.

The only place that the password should be shown in clear text should be the DVB Recording Service configuration window.

What do you guys think about it?

I can do that, but to be honest, if someone who is willing to compromise you this way and has already access to your network (and they do have it because this only is relevant for a LAN/WLAN) that is the least of your problems... ;)

Lars,

I have to disagree with you.

I've configured my router to pass trough connections on the DVB Rec Service ports from outside of my LAN and this allows me to watch TV on my laptop while I'm not at home - either on business or pleasure trips.

If I happen to lose or leave my laptop unattended my DVB Rec Service can be compromised above all other trouble.

I think the password should be hidden in the UI and also stored encrypted (however simple encryption) in the userdata.xml file.