Dual Tuner problem

XVV

I have recently installed DVBViewer v4.8.1.0 and am using a PCTV 2001e Dual USB Tuner.

DVBViewer is working well and I am abe to view all the UK Freeview channels I expected.

I am able to record one channel and view another (on the same multiplexer) but I have not found the way to record/view or record/record when the two channels are on different multiplexers.

I have seen many enquiries about dual-tuners in this forum but have yet to find the way to correctly configure DVBViewer. I hope someone can help me?

My observation when attempting to record/view two channels on seperate multiplexers is that:

1 ... The first programme starts recording OK (and the logo appears on the DVBViwer window to confirm)

2 ... I then select the second programme and its EPG info. appears at the foot of the DVBViewer window. The current picture (of the programme being recorded freezes) and the Signal Strength indicator at the foot of the screen changes from 65-68% to 15-18%.

Attached is the support.zip file.

I can confirm that when the PCTV Dual Tuner is run with the PCTV programme, two programmes on different multiplexers, can be viewed or recorded simultaneously.

I also have a PCTV PCI(2000e) Dual Tuner card and when this is installed to the PC, the DVBViewer program behaves in the same way, I am not able to record/view or record/record two programmes on different multiplexers.

support.zip

It's a diversity device. Most likely it's running in diversity mode when used by DVBViewer, which means, both tuners are interconnected for better reception of a single frequency. So it comes down to the question how the device/driver can be configured for dual tuner mode. Does the manual say anything about it?

Usually diversity devices should switch to dual tuner mode automatically as soon as both tuners are used for different frequencies.

It's a diversity device. Most likely it's running in diversity mode when used by DVBViewer

Thanks for the very speedy reply.

Hearing mention of "diversity" reminded me that the PCTV (2001e) Dual USB Tuner has two aerial connections. When using the PCTV supplied software, only one connection is required for recording two channels that are not on the same multiplexer.

I connected the single aerial feed, through a splitter, to both aerial connections and was immediately able to view/record or record/record programmes that were not on the same multiplexer. Problem resolved.

Thanks again Griga.

• 2 years later...

Please,

when is connected to both tuners of device with diversity functionality (these stick have diversity functionality: "Hauppage WinTV Nova TD", "PCTV Diversity Stick Solo", "Terratec Cinergy DT USB XS Diversity", "Terratec T5", "Elgato EyeTV Diversity", "MSI Digi Vox Mini Diversity") the SAME signal and I am using only one tuner and diversity is enabled - will be final quality audio/video better than case when I am using both tuners and diversity is off?

Does anybody know on this answer?

If you have a weak signal. And you get Discontinuities in DVBViewer Filter or errors in the recording log.

Diversity will help to improve the situation (you have to place the two antennae at least 1 meter apart).

But if you have no errors, you can't improve anything.

Yes Tjod, but my question was: whether is improving when to both tuners is connected the same signal (via Y splitter).

I was asked on this support Elgato System today and they answer me: "The signal usually be slightly better in diversity mode than in dual tuner mode."

Hello,

I'm using MSI DigiVox Diversity DVB-T Sticks. They work automatically. I think that means that they work always in diversity mode, if only one receiver is needed. If two receivers are needed for viewing or recording, it switches automatically to dual tuner mode.

With many greetings

Webturtle

Edited by Webturtle

Hello Webturtle,

when you connect to both tuners of this device the SAME signal (via Y splitter) and you using only one tuner (and diversity is enabled) - is it final quality of audio/video better than case when you using both tuners (and diversity is off)?

when you connect to both tuners of this device the SAME signal (via Y splitter) and you using only one tuner (and diversity is enabled) -is it final quality of audio/video better...

I don't think so: "antenna diversity" need some diversity between the two antenna's signals to be capable to gain some more quality; unless (same signal Y-splitted), it simply can't correct anything, and (at least for me) is still unclear if you have find any discontinuity/reception errors in your recordings... signal strenght can't tell about that...

Anyhow, if you have only one antenna (and you don't plan to install another) you can only enjoy the double tuning capability of your receiver...

:bye:

Hello,

I don't know! I'm using the diversity sticks with the delivered mini-antennas, one at every antenna-in.

But I think Gioxy is right.

Many greetings

Webturtle