Will DVBViewier 4.9 + Recording Server work?

Teddox

I have thew following setup at work, which allows us to have a couple of rooms showing the TV

Media PC 1 has Sat card in it and runs DVBViewer + netstream plugin - The Web interface is used to schedule channel changes etc

Media PC 2 runs VLC as a client to the netstream plugin

The issue we have is that VLC and the netstream plugin crash out a lot, maybe a couple of times a day. I have read the the recorder service maybe a good alternative. Before I have another play though I need to know if would work as follows

Media PC 1 has Sat card in it and runs DVBViewer recorder service + a local on screen version of DVBViewer showing the TV - The web interface is used to schedule channel changes automaticly (as we do now which is great)

Media PC 2 has no sat card and runs DVBViewer but is a client to the recorder service on Media PC1

I need to know if the recorder service will show the exact same thing on all instaces of DVBViewer that we point at it. If I change the channel on Media PC1 from BBC 1 to BBC 2 I need the DVBViewer instance on Media PC2 to follow and do the same.

I did give it quick go on a test setup but everytime I changed the channel on the main instance where the DVB service and viewer were running I got a message about "Sent channel change request" (or words to that affect) on the second client and the stream hung on it - The master client though continued to work.

Thanks

Rob

Media PC 1 has Sat card in it and runs DVBViewer recorder service + a local on screen version of DVBViewer showing the TV - The web interface is used to schedule channel changes automaticly (as we do now which is great)
If you lice to change the channel on Media PC 2, you should install the web interface on Media PC 2. And stop the DVBViewer on PC 1.

I need to know if the recorder service will show the exact same thing on all instaces of DVBViewer that we point at it.
No, the channel in the client with the lower Tuning Priority will only changed if it is required. If you change to a channel on the seam frequency the other client will be not effected.

http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Options_Recording_Service#Tuning_Priority

I did give it quick go on a test setup but everytime I changed the channel on the main instance where the DVB service and viewer were running I got a message about "Sent channel change request" (or words to that affect) on the second client and the stream hung on it - The master client though continued to work.
You should give the master client a higher Tuning Priority than the other one. If both are 0 the one which is started first is the master.

Sorry to make it a bit clearer..

We have two media pc's in different rooms. We only have one sat feed though. Media PC1 is where the sat feed is. We want to use 2 installs of DVBViewer so that Media PC1 (Master with recorder service + dvbiviewer + web interface) shows the TV in one room and Media PC2 shows the exact same feed in another room. We do this at the moment using VLC on Media PC2 streaming from Media PC1. The really important bit though is we want Media PC1 to be a master so that when it changes channel Media PC2's install of DVBViewer also changes channel by itself.

Cheers

Rob

- Just read the link and it looks like it will do what we want but I need to be 100% sure before I break the current setup :)

Edited by Teddox
The really important bit though is we want Media PC1 to be a master so that when it changes channel Media PC2's install of DVBViewer also changes channel by itself.

..that's how it works.

Ok setup as per Wiki and I get the following happening...

MEDIA PC1 has DVB Installed + Recorder Service

Local DVBViewer on Media PC1 set to tuner priority "2" and running so you can see the TV on it - connects to the local recorder service

MEDIA PC2 has DVBViewer installed

MEDIA PC2 DVBViewer uses a virtual device as per wiki to connect to recorder service on MEDIA PC1 with tuner priority of "1"

If I fire up DVBViewer on MEDIA PC1 only I can change channels it all works

If I fire up DVBViewer on MEDIA PC2 only I can change channels it all works

If I fire up DVBViewer on MEDIA PC1 then fire up DVBViewer on MEDIA PC2 then change the channel on MEDIA PC2 it says "Channel redirection requested by service" as wont change but if the channel is on the same transponder it will change - so not great

If I fire up DVBViewer on MEDIA PC1 then fire up DVBViewer on MEDIA PC2 then change the channel on MEDIA PC1 it changes the channel on MEDIA PC1 but on MEDIA PC2 it says "Channel redirection requested by service" and wont change :(

Any idea how I cam make them both change at the same time?

Use 1 in both.

Ok done that and it will wont make them all change at the sametime still - I get the message about being sent a request but it wont do it and just stops streaming on the "slave" while the "master" continues to play.