Help tuning FreeSat

TerFar

Please forgive a newbie for what are probably simplistic questions. My experience with FreeSat is via a Humax FoxSat HD receiver, which was pretty simple to setup.

I have a BlackGold 3630 in a relatively new self-build PC. The receiver is working fine, but I am unable to tune FreeSat successfully using DVBViewer. I've selected Astra/Eurobird 28.2E and set it to Scan all channels (I believe that FreeSat uses several groups, mostlyt C, some A and some on EuroBird 1).

The only channels I seem to get are all BskyB channels. There's no mention of FreeSat in the subsequent list. Despite limiting the tune to Free-to-Air channels, there seems to be hundreds of channels listed that are Sky encrypted.

Would someone please explain in simple terms how to tune for FreeSat.

The only channels I seem to get are all BskyB channels.

The provider name broadcasted for almost all channels on Astra 28° East / Eurobird is BSkyB, even for BBC. Are the BBC channels among your scan results?

BSkyB is the broadcaster who leases the transponders on these satellites. Its name will appear as the "Provider" label when you export channels from TransEdit using the default category option. You should instead select "initial letter" when saving. Then you can create other Categories and sort channels to your liking in the Channel Editor.

Freesat is not a broadcaster. It doesn't have any transponders. Broadcasters (BBC, ITV, etc) have paid the Freesat consortium for inclusion in its proprietary channel guide.

Freesat boxes like the Humax are designed to operate with that specific group of channels, just as Sky ones show a different group, but there is a big overlap between them.

DVBViewer is like a generic receiver (or Humax in non-Freesat mode). It doesn't recognise any specific network's group of channels - it treats them all the same and numbers in the order they were saved. It's up to you, the user, to decide how you want them saved and sorted. Also, when channels change, you have to scan yourself, unlike the Humax which takes care of changes for you. Note that all PC applications work like this - there are no Freesat ones.

When you scan in TransEdit, select the "FTA" filter for displaying the scanned list before you select channels for updating. In DVBViewer itself, you can filter the channels using the "Hide filter" (F3/F4).

EPG data for Freesat channels is encoded in a non-standard way, but DVBViewer can still receive it. In Options-EPG, check "Receive Freesat EPG data". Tuning any channel in the Freesat group will enable data to be collected.

In Options-EPG-Siehfern, make sure the Freesat "home" transponder is listed - this is 11428, H, type "FreeSat". If you tune any of the channels on that transponder "e.g. "Freesat Info", the entire week's data will be downloaded in 30 seconds.

Edited by QBox User

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am doing it correctly but had 'higher expectations'. I seem to have all the channels, but I have not edited the list yet. A quick glance suggests all but Channel 4 HD are present and correct.

I have to say that I am amazed at just how many channels there are that can be picked up by a single small dish. When I first searched, I just let is find everything: the result was mind-boggling!

Thanks for the insight.