Discontinuities on encrypted HD hannels

Benarty

There is a problem with encrypted HD channels.

If a FTA HD channel is tuned, no discontinuities except on Channel4 HD(NAR) located under BskyB Astra 28°

All other FTA HD channels no problems.

But within the TV Vlaanderen bouquet ... Mediaguard3 , all HD channels show discontinuities.

SD channels have no problem.

The computer can play 1080P/I fluently.

I would guess cam problem but it's weird that one FTA HD channel has many discontinuities.

Side note : The green signal bar at the bottom of a DVBViewer screen : all channels 100%

The old computer with floppy DTV S2 typical floating between 60 and 70%

The digitaldevices Cine S2 has no classic tuner,

Support.zip inlucluded

support.zip

Edited by Benarty

I have been having problems with discontinuities on DVB-S2 since the HD Channels moved there earlier this year. I took this up with AMD and sent them Video samples recorded on my system. They said catagorically that they are stream errors (discontinuities) and nothing to do with the ATI card (they reproduced the problem with an NVIDIA card apparently). I have no issues with DVB-S using the same SAT card (ITV HD works fine on DVB-S). I have been posting on here for a while hoping I get some feedback. For example...is the problem at source (ie transmission)? should the software cope with stream errors (according to DVB-S2 spec it should). What part of the software handles the stream ?? Is this something within DVBViewer that can be adjusted (ie buffer space, or pre fetch etc)? I cannot get WMC to play DVB-S2 channels so cannot compare...WMC works fine with DVB-T2 but so does DVBviwer.

I have no problems with DVB-T2 using DVBviwer (freesat HD channels all work fine).

Any clues how to fix this anyone ?

Frank

I also have discontinuities, a lot, and graph too late( 150) in v4.9, in 4.5-4.6 all was good.

If i watch an cripted hd 3 hours, i have 300 errors.

I have problems on encripted hd,and also free HD. Also, with SD or HD encripted, channel switch is quite slow.

Hoping a new version will fix this.

You should post a support.zip in such case.

FTA SD and HD should have no problem. If there is, a matter of decoder, merrit value etc....

Derrick: I think also the cam but, this cam is from TV Vlaanderen and in use by any of their set top boxes.

I just have the weird problem that one HD channel (channel4 NAR) massive discontinuities.

If that was not the case, ok, cam related.

Another problem might be the PCI-E bridge to CAM solution of digital devices.

I wanted to test that by installing the floppy DTV-S2 from the old setup but install of V5.7 fails with an error in th INF file.

Stupid windows of coarse shows not exactly where the error is. I use Ubuntu on my computer and debugging there allows more then under windows.

In fact, if Blueray was not a problem, I would leave windows.

But: thinking further, I doubt that this PCI-E bridge is causing the problem and, There was a time that the TV Vlaanderen cam blocked HD content with older firmware.

Why do you post a totally unrelated problem in this thread?

Why is this unrelated ...issue is on FTA channels, discontinuities, DVB-S2

Derrick: I think also the cam but, this cam is from TV Vlaanderen and in use by any of their set top boxes.

STBs use a demuxer which is located upstream of the module. Only a part of the the mux is sent through the module. I had the same problems with a canal digitaal module. Send it back to the dealer and get a refund B)

Benarty, with an old 4.5-4.6 you have problems? For me, with an old copy of DVBViewer,sd and hd encripted are ok( all)

It didnt work to paste v4.5 DVBViewer.exe from an backup folder in v4.9 installation folder, you need to install an fresh old version.

Edited by bogdan1980

Bogdan1980, yes I have older versions on backup and will try it but I expect no improvement.

Derrick, Then I will replace the cam , but then I intend to look to another cam , if possible.

Result:

Removed 4.9 (easy, restore point.

Installed 4.5 : after 9 minutes the first discontinuity

Then every time between 2 en 5 minutes another one.

Also here: FTA HD works fine, except Channel4HD (NAR)

I will test a new CAM.

Which digitaldevices Cine S2 version are you using? Early versions of these cards did have many problems including packet loss. I have a model based upon this card and it has packet loss issues as well which I am about to RMA. They did fix some problems with packet loss on later generations but they might of missed some issues. Therefore don't rule out it being the card itself.

I have tried all drivers and all DVBViewer versions including transedit. I have a dual terrestrial card which doesn't show any problems doing the same thing.

same here - my DVB-T2 works a treat(Black Gold dual tuner), unlike my DVB-S2. Are we sure this is an issue with the card, surely not all DVB-s2 cards have this fault. Do we have anyone with a working DVB-s2 on this forum ( CH4 HD is most problematic for me)) if yes I would definetly get one that works.

@ Benarty

I also have a TV-Vlaanderen subscription.

Before i bought my HTPC-parts, is searched the internet, and the conclusion was that the Aston-seca-cam was the best choice.

However, i also have problems ; sometimes, VTM and the NED1-2-3 channels are stuttering (after +- 1 minute) or strange enough, blocky ; also the BBC-HD, BBC-One-HD, ITV1-HD and Channel4-HD are sometimes stuttering (also after +-1 minute).

However, strange enough, when viewing a recorded program from the above channels, the stuttering is gone ?

Switching between channels is also very slow. For example : switching between VT4 and Een-HD takes +- 10 seconds.

Problems.... there are a lot of possible causes or combinations of them e.g. :

- bad LNB's ;

- badly alignment of the dish and/or LNB's ; dish not stable (wind) ;

- to long cable's between dish and receiver ; bad connection of connectors - corosion ; water infiltration/humidity ;

- bad diseq-switches ;

- errors in firmware and/or drivers of the TV-card ;

- errors caused by other hardware ; for example : Fire-DTV's use Firewire - it is a known problem that most Firewire cards cause problems because they dont use the original Texas-instruments chipset ;

- errors caused by other software/drivers : for example - last week i installed for the first-time Windows-7, PowerDVD and DVBViewer ; when i tuned a channel with AC3-sound it was impossible to change my volume exept with the volume-control of my receiver ; installing the AC3-filter solved the problem... ; it is also a common problem with graphic-card-drivers, for example some versions of ATI-Catalyst.

Channel 4 HD is on a weak transponder of Eurobird 1, which is slightly further East than the Astra 2 constellation you may be focussed on. If you have a motor, edit the channel to have angular position 28.5 E. On a static installation, moving the dish or LNB to focus between the two positions should improve C4HD quality. Even then, it won't be as good as the BBC HD channels, so you can still expect some errors.

• 2 weeks later...

Which digitaldevices Cine S2 version are you using? Early versions of these cards did have many problems including packet loss. I have a model based upon this card and it has packet loss issues as well which I am about to RMA. They did fix some problems with packet loss on later generations but they might of missed some issues. Therefore don't rule out it being the card itself.

I have tried all drivers and all DVBViewer versions including transedit. I have a dual terrestrial card which doesn't show any problems doing the same thing.

DVB-T has less problems with allignment to receive a good DVB-T stream.

DVB-S comes from a much greater distance , very weak signal that has to be amplified by the sat dish and the LNB.

I have the first version of the CineS2 and yest, the card may have some flaws and it's sure not a bad idea to swap to the latest version or..another brand that offers dual tuner pci_E DVB-S2 cards.

Channel 4 HD is on a weak transponder of Eurobird 1, which is slightly further East than the Astra 2 constellation you may be focussed on. If you have a motor, edit the channel to have angular position 28.5 E. On a static installation, moving the dish or LNB to focus between the two positions should improve C4HD quality. Even then, it won't be as good as the BBC HD channels, so you can still expect some errors.

I have a Wavefrontier T90 with the sweet spot located at 19°east

The dish performs better then a typical 90cm offset.

Channel4HD(NAR) is the only HD channel with massive discontinuities so , easy 50 in less then 3 minutes.

I doubt that the CineS2, despite the first version causes the cullprit, since FTA DVB-S2 720P, 1080I

show zero discontinuities, and since the encypted channel have all minor discontinitius, then a logical conclusion would be that the CAM is interfering with the reception.

As soon when the cam is replaced, then you will know it asap.

I have a Wavefrontier T90 with the sweet spot located at 19°east

The dish performs better then a typical 90cm offset.

Channel4HD(NAR) is the only HD channel with massive discontinuities so , easy 50 in less then 3 minutes.

I doubt that the CineS2, despite the first version causes the cullprit, since FTA DVB-S2 720P, 1080I

show zero discontinuities, and since the encypted channel have all minor discontinitius, then a logical conclusion would be that the CAM is interfering with the reception.

As soon when the cam is replaced, then you will know it asap.

C4HD will currently be offset slightly from your 28.2 LNB, but it's curently testing on the new Astra 1N at that position and will give a much stronger signal within the UK spot beam. The name isn't in place yet, but you can scan it on 11127 V, 22000, 2/3, S2, 8PSK, 0.35 RO or just edit C4HD with those parameters.

DVB-T has less problems with allignment to receive a good DVB-T stream.

DVB-S comes from a much greater distance , very weak signal that has to be amplified by the sat dish and the LNB.

I have the first version of the CineS2 and yest, the card may have some flaws and it's sure not a bad idea to swap to the latest version or..another brand that offers dual tuner pci_E DVB-S2 cards.

Is that a version 1 card which requires a separate PCI-e card in order to enable the CI capability or the v 2 which had the CI inbuilt?

If it's the real V 1 then try out what I posted in this thread.

C4HD will currently be offset slightly from your 28.2 LNB, but it's curently testing on the new Astra 1N at that position and will give a much stronger signal within the UK spot beam. The name isn't in place yet, but you can scan it on 11127 V, 22000, 2/3, S2, 8PSK, 0.35 RO or just edit C4HD with those parameters.

Thanks, tuned that now. I don't have any problems with the Eurobird 1 C4 HD channel though, even on my smaller dish.