Wizard doesn't scan any channels

mr-b

Hi

I thought I'd give DVBViewer a try out and so downloaded the demo. I ran the wizard and it detected my MobiTV USB twin DVB adapter just fine.

Then it asked for my DVB system scan source. I selected Terrestrial (there's no other option) but there didn't seem to be a source that was correct for me. There was only one UK source but that is for Mendip, which is a different transmitter to me (Sutton Coldfield).

I selected that one anyway thinking it might scan some of the right frequencies, but after clicking the Scan button the progress bar remained at zero and nothing seemed to be happening. When I returned after 15min and tried to view the scanning status the wizard window seemed to have disappeared completely with no taskbar icon visible. Then I minimized all my other windows and it was hiding behind them all - but with no progress change apparent.

I've read the wiki and the manual but they don't seem to have any info on this part of the config process. Indeed they don't seem to relate to the demo version that I downloaded.

I'm running on Win7/64 bit and my TV tuners work fine with both Windows Media Server and another TV app - any ideas why nothing is happening with DVBViewer?

Choosing Mendip will simply scan frequencies that aren't used by your transmitter. Selecting UK_terrestrial will blind scan the whole band, but if you paste the following into a text editor and save as (e.g.) "DVBT_UK_Sutton.ini" in the Transponders folder, you should then be able to scan the correct frequencies.

[sATTYPE]

1=5000

2=UK: Sutton Coldfield

[DVB]

0=6

1=650000,8,|C43 PSB1

2=674000,8,|C46 PSB2

3=626200,8,|C40 PSB3

4=642000,8,|C42 COM4

5=666000,8,|C45 ArqA

6=618200,8,|C39 ArqB

Current CP frequencies

[sATTYPE]

1=5000

2=UK: Crystal Palace

[DVB]

0=7

1=505800,8,|C25 Mux1

2=481800,8,|C22 Mux2

3=561800,8,|C32 MuxA

4=529800,8,|C28 MuxB

5=578200,8,|C34 MuxC

6=537800,8,|C29 MuxD

7=554000,8,|C31 PSB3 (HD)

From April 2012

[sATTYPE]

1=5000

2=UK: Crystal Palace post DSO

[DVB]

0=6

1=490000,8,|C23 PSB1

2=514000,8,|C26 PSB2

3=545800,8,|C30 PSB3

4=506000,8,|C25 COM4

5=482000,8,|C22 ArqA

6=618200,8,|C28 ArqB

Choosing Mendip will simply scan frequencies that aren't used by your transmitter. Selecting UK_terrestrial will blind scan the whole band, but if you paste the following into a text editor and save as (e.g.) "DVBT_UK_Sutton.ini" in the Transponders folder, you should then be able to scan the correct frequencies.

Well I guess UK_terrestrial sounds like it would have at least done the job, but it does not appear in the Source list.

I found the Transponders folder, copied an existing .ini file and edited it to be DVBT_UK_Sutton, but it doesn't show up in the wizard. Indeed only 14 of them actually do. TBH though I wasn't really expecting to have to start hacking ini files from the very start on a Windows app!

The blind scan option doesn't show up in my list either, so maybe it's only for certain compatible hardware types. I guess the Terrestrial (EUR) might work OK.

I added the Sutton details as posted above to a new ini file and it was recognised on re-opening Channel Scan. There are now 15 options in my drop-down list.

Incidentally, it looks like the Mendip one is pre-DSO and now out of date, but it can be used as a template. There are nearly 1,000 UK terrestrial transmitters, so it would be difficult to provide a comprehensive list. The Terrestrial (EUR) scan should only take a few minutes.