Channel 4 HD - No Video Or Audio

Lord Kram

Seem to be having a problem with Channel 4 HD (NAR/AC3)

Not sure if its something to do with updating to v4.9 of DVBViewer, but it worked fine before

Tried rescanning all channels deleting etc, tried different decoder filters

Channel is showing and receiving epg data, and signal strength but no video or audio

Has the transponder/tuning details changed? Its not encrypted I dont think either

Channel 4 HD has moved satellite today from Eurobird 1 to new satellite Astra 1N. It's on new transponder 11127,V,22000,23,6, (S2-8PSK)

Eurobird 1 is at 28.5E, but Astra 1N is at 28.2E, as per the other Astra2 satellites at this position. This should improve reception for users with dishes focussed on that spot. The signal will be much stronger in the British Isles, at least.

Could someone please post a screenshot of how channel 4 hd should look in the channel editor i cant get it to work ive tried a scan updating the transponder list and editing it manually in channel list editor

this is what i got

97d0fe160751945.jpg

what do i need to change to get it to work

Thanks QBox User, I just tuned to C4HD and found it didn't work so your post saved me a lot of messing about.

@Lip:

1) Unless you want the narrative soundtrack I'd suggest changing to 'Channel 4 HD (AC3,eng)' (Same for the BBC channels).

2) Having done that, here are my working settings

b517f9160759430.jpg

If you need to stick with NAR, the differences I see are:

PCR PID = 2305 and Service ID = 55300.

Edited by SimonP

Thanks guys, downloaded the new transponder ini file above, did a complete rescan after deleting old entries, and now am back to normal!

What is your reception like , in particular CH4 HD as mine suffers with discontinuities all the time. ITV1 HD works without any problems via the same dish.

My last recording on Monday - before the transponder change - lasted over 4 hours without a single error. I had the channel set to shift the motorised dish around to 28.5E to maximise signal strength. An earlier recording some weeks ago (when the dish was still aiming at 28.2E) showed about 30 errors at 16 intervals. I would expect the new transponder to be better, given the higher quality.

Edit: I would add that my BBC/BBC One HD recordings are much worse. They often show much higher error rates. I don't have any ITV HD recordings currently in my folder, but I'll try a short one tonight.

Edited by QBox User

Something strange has happened here since the change the other day. Previously I was seeing DVB subtitles as well as Teletext but now I only see the Teletext subs.

Any ideas? My settings are shown in the screen grab above.

My last recording on Monday - before the transponder change - lasted over 4 hours without a single error. I had the channel set to shift the motorised dish around to 28.5E to maximise signal strength. An earlier recording some weeks ago (when the dish was still aiming at 28.2E) showed about 30 errors at 16 intervals. I would expect the new transponder to be better, given the higher quality.

Edit: I would add that my BBC/BBC One HD recordings are much worse. They often show much higher error rates. I don't have any ITV HD recordings currently in my folder, but I'll try a short one tonight.

I get 95% strength on my Ch4 HD and BBC HD channels but since those channels moved to DVB-s2 those channels suck big time for me with many discontinuities. ITV HD on the same dish works flawlessly but that is not DVB-s2.

Having problems receiving Channel 4 HD: the channel data seems to keep appearing and disappearing, ie:

- Altered the Channel 4 parameters as in #5 above. Got the EPG but no picture or sound.

- Downloaded the new Freesat ini file as #2 above. Scanned 11127 in DVBViewer. Nothing found.

- Looked at the 11127 in the ini file using TransEdit >>Analyze. Nothing found.

- Changed the modulation for 11127 to auto. Rechecked Analyze. Still nothing found for 11127.

- Changed the modulation for 11127 back to 8PSK. Analyze now finds data for 11127.

- Run a scan for that frequency in DVBViewer. Still can’t find Channel 4 HD.

- Go back to TransEdit >>Analyze. Gone back to finding nothing for 11127 unless I repeat the fix as above.

11127 is the only frequency I am having a problem with so I presume there must be some sort of software conflict. Grateful for any advice re this.

Having problems receiving Channel 4 HD: the channel data seems to keep appearing and disappearing, ie:

- Altered the Channel 4 parameters as in #5 above. Got the EPG but no picture or sound.

- Downloaded the new Freesat ini file as #2 above. Scanned 11127 in DVBViewer. Nothing found.

- Looked at the 11127 in the ini file using TransEdit >>Analyze. Nothing found.

- Changed the modulation for 11127 to auto. Rechecked Analyze. Still nothing found for 11127.

- Changed the modulation for 11127 back to 8PSK. Analyze now finds data for 11127.

- Run a scan for that frequency in DVBViewer. Still can’t find Channel 4 HD.

- Go back to TransEdit >>Analyze. Gone back to finding nothing for 11127 unless I repeat the fix as above.

11127 is the only frequency I am having a problem with so I presume there must be some sort of software conflict. Grateful for any advice re this.

Make sure the new ini is loaded ...I think it lives in the configuration folder ...mine is

C:\ProgramData\CMUV\DVBViewer (w7)

you can rename the file fred.ini so you can see if it is in your list when you do a scan.

Something strange has happened here since the change the other day. Previously I was seeing DVB subtitles as well as Teletext but now I only see the Teletext subs.

Any ideas? My settings are shown in the screen grab above.

Service ID has changed to 21200

Thanks very much for the advice at #12 – #14, but unfortunately none of these has made any difference to my problem at #11.

I have since found out that I can’t get Channel 4 HD on Windows 7 Media Centre either (11126 or 11127). All the other channels are OK.

I see from the DSpy Freesat forum that someone else with a Hauppauge DVB-S2 PCI card is having a similar problem. Are any of you guys using that card and NOT having this problem?

Cheers

Edited by robbie2

... Are any of you guys using that card and NOT having this problem?

YES, and I have just overcome the problem, by putting a tick in the "Pilot" box. Don't ask me why.

I was using Transedit to search on frequency 11126, and kept on getting nothing, so I tried changing one thing at a time, and if it didn't work, changing it back. "Pilot" is the one which worked and detected the channel - Whoopee!

Hope it works for you.

Edited by IanL
Hauppauge DVB-S2 PCI card
I have just overcome the problem, by putting a tick in the "Pilot" box. Don't ask me why.

The usual problem with Hauppauge cards. No go with wrong pilot symbols settings.

The next DVBViewer and TransEdit releases will provide auto-detection. DVB-S2 channels with wrong pilot symbols setting can be tuned (though it takes a bit longer), and the scanner will correct it automatically in the channellist.

Fixed! Thanks guys!

Just to confirm, what I did was edit the ini file (downloaded from King of Sats as at #2 above) using TransEdit,changing the frequency from 11127 to 11126, and ticking the ‘Pilot Symbols’ box. Saved the result, and then ran a scan for 11126 in DVBViewer. Not sure why 11126 works when the actual frequency seems to be 11127, but there you go.

I had previously tried just editing the channel details in DVBViewer Channel Editor, but that did not work.

The problem is solved! :)

I made it like in #20, very tricky!

I also have the problem that it is not possible to watch C4HD. I made a re-scan with a brandnew transponderlist as described in #2 with a clear channel list. I also changed the values manually as given in #4.

Then I suspected a wrong Diseyc-Value but it wasn't. The same setting of Diseqc works very well with BBC One HD. Maybe I do not to see the wood for the trees.

Here are some screenshots:

http://austausch.rene-toepfer.de/DVBViewer/bbc.png

http://austausch.rene-toepfer.de/DVBViewer/c4hd.png

Edited by Satgesehen
I also have the problem that it is not possible to watch C4HD.

Comparing your screen grab of C4HD with my working settings, I have Tone = 22KHz, Stream ID = 2068 and PCR PID = 2305. I also use the AC3 audio stream rather than NAR. (NAR = narrative - only really useful for the blind.)

Try those settings to see if it works for you?

Edited by SimonP
Not sure why 11126 works when the actual frequency seems to be 11127, but there you go.

I depends on the deviation of the LNB LOF (Local Oscillator Frequency) and the tuner catch range.

The LNB LOF should be 9750 MHz for the low band, but mostly it's more or less off the mark, depending on the temperature, the LNB quality and LNB age, thus shifting the intermediate frequency received by the tuner accordingly (in case of Channel 4 HD 11126 - 9750 = 1376 MHz), so that the frequency in the transponder list resp. the DVBViewer channel list doesn't yield the actual centre frequency.

Here my Hauppauge Nova S2 HD tunes it happily within a 11119..11137 MHz range. If 11127 MHz is already beyond the upper limit, it may be time to think about a new LNB.

I depends on the deviation of the LNB LOF (Local Oscillator Frequency) and the tuner catch range.

The LNB LOF should be 9750 MHz for the low band, but mostly it's more or less off the mark, depending on the temperature, the LNB quality and LNB age, thus shifting the intermediate frequency received by the tuner accordingly (in case of Channel 4 HD 11126 - 9750 = 1376 MHz), so that the frequency in the transponder list resp. the DVBViewer channel list doesn't yield the actual centre frequency.

Here my Hauppauge Nova S2 HD tunes it happily within a 11119..11137 MHz range. If 11127 MHz is already beyond the upper limit, it may be time to think about a new LNB.

I have tone NONE for the channel 4HD, LOF 9750

Not sure how to view the values you mentioned above (or how to do anything different on the tuning side). Is this the cause of my discontinuities??

For a universal LNB this is definitely wrong. The C4HD transponder is located in the low band (below 11700 MHz).

Quite honestly I have no idea what most of these settings mean so I'm sure you're right but it works... :)

(Soon after: I've set it to 'none' and it still works so I'll leave it at that.)

Edited by SimonP

New transedit fixes pilot symbols not detecting automatically in Hauppauge cards (thanks Griga :bye: ).

Can someone explain this .....and how it is relevent please.

Can someone explain this .....and how it is relevent please.

See Griga's earlier post in this thread, the problem with people not picking up C4 HD with Hauppauge cards was that they were not automatically detecting pilot symbol settings, the new transedit does this :) .

Edited by dvbrewer
  • 4 weeks later...

I use DVBViewer Recording Service and noticed that C4 HD had no EPG listings and on checking, I found it had moved transponder. I entered the new details from Kingofsat but there wasn't the hint of any data from 11127 V on my Hauppauge DVB-S2 card - according to Transedit, there there was nothing to be found on that transponder... :|

I tried a lot of permutations but never thought to check the Pilot Symbols box, perhaps if I'd bothered to search for this earlier I could have saved a lot of time...!

Thanks all for the info :biggrin:

Degs

• 5 weeks later...

Right guys, I've tried everything in this thread and Ch4 HD is still not working for me. I've downloaded the latest transponder list (install.exe) I've tried updating with Transedit and I've tried manually editing the channel data but nothing works.... BBC HD, BBC 1 HD and ITV1 HD all work fine so what am I doing wrong... bear in mind I'm just an average joe trying to figure this out, long technical discussions go way over my head... thanks

1z6xwld.png

P.S I'm using Win 7 64bit, DVBViewer 4.9, Hauuppage Nova S-2 card, I've tried changing Service ID from 55300 to 22100 but that doesn't help either.

Edited by Soupdragon

Get the new ini file for the transponders (king of sat has latest update)

http://en.kingofsat.net/

http://en.kingofsat....os=28.2E&fkhz=0

If you take a look at it there will ba an entry for the new transponder.

Copy it to the correct folder (you will need to make the old file NOT read only to overwrite it if I remember correctly) , lives in the transponders folder. Cannot remember if it is in the configuration folder or the progs folder ....copy it to both I guess.

Right guys, I've tried everything in this thread and Ch4 HD is still not working for me. I've downloaded the latest transponder list (install.exe) I've tried updating with Transedit and I've tried manually editing the channel data but nothing works.... BBC HD, BBC 1 HD and ITV1 HD all work fine so what am I doing wrong... bear in mind I'm just an average joe trying to figure this out, long technical discussions go way over my head... thanks

1z6xwld.png

P.S I'm using Win 7 64bit, DVBViewer 4.9, Hauuppage Nova S-2 card, I've tried changing Service ID from 55300 to 22100 but that doesn't help either.

Yeah I already did that... didn't make any difference.

Anyway I got it working afterall! :) I used the settings from Post 17, just changed the frequency from 11126 to 11127 and it worked! I've no idea why the scan would return a non-working set of completely different values, but still. :mellow:

Edited by Soupdragon
I've tried changing Service ID from 55300 to 22100 but that doesn't help either.

That's because it should have been 21200. :rolleyes: Your new transponder would have found it on rescan. You should clear out the old transponder to avoid future duplication.

Edited by QBox User
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, like I said, I'm not a egghead :wacko:

Your new transponder would have found it on rescan. You should clear out the old transponder to avoid future duplication.

Well it didn't, smartarse. Of course I overwrote the old transponder what would be the point of keeping the original? :tongue:

It worked for a bit but the sound doesn't work now, neither does BBC HD.... I think I'll give up, I can't keep track of all this. I just want to record TV programmes with the click of a mouse, thats it. I'm not interested in endlessly faffing about with all this technical crap.

Feel free to post another condescending reply. :bye:

Edited by Soupdragon
but the sound doesn't work now, neither does BBC HD.

Most likely a suitable AC3 decoder is missing in your system (the MS decoder only works in MS applications due to licence restrictions). Install AC3 Filter and select it on Options -> DirectX for AC3.