Hardware acceleration ATI+Intel

esperado

My config: motherboard ASUS P8Z68 pro with a i5-2500K Sandy bridge processor and a MSI AMD Radeon HD 6800 cyclone.

And 3 monitors, 2x19" on VGA, one 22" on DVI)

As you can see, there is a lot of acceleration capabilities, both with the ATI graphic card and the processor included Intel graphic card. In the proc, there is a special hardware part supposed able to decode fast and with low power consumption any Mpeg and H264.

My question: How to use the Intel hardware to decode TNT, using or not VIRTU ? For the moment, i'm only able to use CoreAVC with a very little HW DX acceleration.

Disappointing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by esperado

My config: motherboard ASUS P8Z68 pro with a i5-2500K Sandy bridge processor and a MSI AMD Radeon HD 6800 cyclone.

And 3 monitors, 2x19" on VGA, one 22" on DVI)

As you can see, there is a lot of acceleration capabilities, both with the ATI graphic card and the processor included Intel graphic card. In the proc, there is a special hardware part supposed able to decode fast and with low power consumption any Mpeg and H264.

My question: How to use the Intel hardware to decode TNT, using or not VIRTU ? For the moment, i'm only able to use CoreAVC with a very little HW DX acceleration.

Disappointing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think only one of these can be active, I presume it is the AMD 6800. Do not bother with CoreAVC, use Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder if you have Windows 7, otherwise Cyberlink PDVD codec from the Shark codec pack (select PDVD11 and DXVA in H264 options).

Edited by dvbrewer

I think only one of these can be active, I presume it is the AMD 6800.

I can use the two together, no problem. And you have Virtu to use resources of the Intel, even on a AMD graphic output.

My question was not to use the direct X material acceleration of the AMD. The Intel processor has a hardware build in decoder, and i want, to use-it.

Do not bother with CoreAVC, use Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder if you have Windows 7, otherwise Cyberlink PDVD codec from the Shark codec pack (select PDVD11 and DXVA in H264 options).

Well, Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder is the worse of the ones i have. In MpeG2, you cannot look at the skins (faces with no details, look like owfull painted, colors follows movements 2 or 3 frames after luminance). ANd i H24, it is cpu consuming and not so detailed than the one i use: FFDshow for quality (eats a lot of CPU), or CoreAVC (same quality in h264, less cpu) and ATI in Mpeg (less CPU). Both use directX acceleration of AMD, i presume.

(i will try the Power DVD, thanks for the link)

I can use the two together, no problem. And you have Virtu to use resources of the Intel, even on a AMD graphic output.

My question was not to use the direct X material acceleration of the AMD. The Intel processor has a hardware build in decoder, and i want, to use-it.

I really think this is wrong, you cannot have two graphics controllers working unless they are specifically designed to go together, in that case both need to be the same manufacturer. If you go to device manager in Control Panel, what does it say on display adapters?

Well, Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder is the worse of the ones i have. In MpeG2, you cannot look at the skins (faces with no details, look like owfull painted, colors follows movements 2 or 3 frames after luminance). ANd i H24, it is cpu consuming and not so detailed than the one i use: FFDshow for quality (eats a lot of CPU), or CoreAVC (same quality in h264, less cpu) and ATI in Mpeg (less CPU). Both use directX acceleration of AMD, i presume.

(i will try the Power DVD, thanks for the link)

No, it doesn't sound like acceleration is being used at all, if it is less than 10% of CPU should be used.

I really think this is wrong, you cannot have two graphics controllers working unless they are specifically designed to go together, in that case both need to be the same manufacturer. If you go to device manager in Control Panel, what does it say on display adapters?

May-be you can make your mind (and learn) with google, searching about Intel Sandy Bridge and Virtu ?

It is better than you think.

I have 3 screens. I can set one of them on the Intel processor graphic card output and have-it working together with the two others. And, i can manage my screens configuration and desktop both from the intel Tool and the ATI Catalyst.

Like have one image splitted on the 3 screens, or a normal desktop with the mouse going from one to another, and chose the order and definition of all of them.

And, of course, the two graphic cards are OK in device manager.

Well. As i can plug up to 6 screens on the ATI card, i prefer to use-it for all. Now, you will think that intel graphic is disabled if you do not plug a monitor in it ? Not exactly: there is a software named Lucid Virtu with can activate the Intel graphic card even if nothing is plugged on it. That is the way is supposed to work material decoding. The virtual output of the intel chipset, after treatment, will be send for display in the ATI AMD graphic card after processing in Intel.

I had found a beginning of answer to my Intel Codec problem here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=162442

It works, but no change in CPU load, and less frame rate. Will ask the question there.

Tried the Powerdvd codecs: they are similar to CoreAVC both on quality and load on h264. They are similar to ATI codec in quality for Mpeg2, with a little more cpu charge. I prefer my previous ones.

Edited by esperado

May-be you can make your mind (and learn) with google, searching about Intel Sandy Bridge and Virtu ?

Yes, you are right, I have no experience with this, I am guessing a conflict somehow is stopping DXVA working, but I cannot say why.

Yes, you are right, I have no experience with this, I am guessing a conflict somehow is stopping DXVA working, but I cannot say why.

You are not the only one ;-)

All that stuff is so complicated, confusing, bad documented or not documented at all.

It is all about our civilization, more interested by marketing that real performance.

Well, if LARS want to get involved in this, i believe sandy bridge can be the best CPU for an HTPC. Very stable, not soexpensive, low power consuming (so low heat), material decoding, integrated graphic card at 1.4Ghz. And very stable over clocking capabilities (cpu: 4.6 Ghz, GPU 1.450 Ghz, with very few over voltage).

Look where i have found a track of those Codecs, hidden on a mysterious forum.... From Intel company ? Who can believe that?

Interesting thread on doom9 here, maybe doesn't directly answer your question, but I bet someone there is more likely to be able to help you :).

Once more, i've been misled by the marketting: Bought a CPU for its hardware decoding capabilities that no software is able to use ;-)

Once more, i've been misled by the marketting: Bought a CPU for its hardware decoding capabilities that no software is able to use ;-)

So can you just uninstall the Intel software, then maybe the AMD card will work as normal?

• 2 months later...

Well, with the IntelQuickSync, now available in FFDshow, you can use the SandyBridge acceleration.

If you are not using any additional graphic card, it will run out of the box.

If you use an external graphic card, you can activate the CPU Intel graphic card (even with no monitor plugged-in). Just add a 'virtual' additional monitor supposed to be plugged in the Intel plugs (that you will not use) after the monitors you are using .

You can too mix the two graphic card, having up to 4 monitors on a ATI graphic, for example, plus two more in Intel.

As i said, it will not save CPu usage, but there is a lot of room with those powerful quad CPUs. I'm using 3 monitors, and i can run in the same time 3 instances of DVBViewer with 3 HD programs, and i don't encounter any issue, using my computer in the same time even with demanding applications like Photoshop.

Well, whatever the codecs i use, i can see TV in full screen on a monitor, watch two others windowed on the other monitor, and record 3 programs in the same time. I'm using two DVBT tuners, one single (PCTV), one with a double tuner (Avermedia).

Amazing.

Edited by esperado