small website design updates

Guest hackbart

Guest hackbart

Hey, i mader some smaller updates on the website.

Nothing special, but i added at least some simple portal script which offers a small overview about the news.

Christian

English:

I don't like these 2 pics too much. One is not sharp and the other is interlaced:

osdStatus.jpg

control.jpg

The HDTV-pic is a bit too big for my taste, but well HDTV is just big.

Beside that I like the new design.

German:

Diese beiden Bilder find ich nicht so toll. Das eine ist total unscharf und das andere interlaced:

osdStatus.jpg

control.jpg

Das HDTV-Bild finde ich etwas zu gross, aber das is wohl bei HDTV so.

Ansonsten find ichs gut.

Edited by Technofriend

Also bei der Größe einzelner Bilder gebe ich Dir Recht. Wir sollten nie vergessen, dass es noch sehr viele Modem oder ISDN Nutzer gibt.

Die dürften dies Homepage in Zukunft meiden! Eine Startseite sollte immer äußerst klein gehalten sein!

Eine Seite welche auf Grund riesiger Bilder lange Ladezeiten hervorruft oder die meine 1024er Bildschirmgröße überschritt, habe ich nie wieder besucht.

Ich fand die alte Startseite schöner. Ein Frame oben oder unten mit einem kleinen sich abwechselnden Vorschaubild finde ich besser. Ein darunter befindlicher "klick to expand" Link mit einem Verweis auf ein sich öffnendes Popup finde ich wesentlich besser.

Als werdender Käufer fühlte ich mit total dissorientiert auf einer Seite mit einem riesigen Bild und einem kleinen Bild rechts daneben.

---

yes, some pictures are to big. Don't forget there are many modem or isdn user.

This one would avoid such a site! A start page should be verry smart...

Which informations give such a startpage??? All basic information (card, keyfeatures) should be visible.

In my past (modem time) i avoid such sites which had to big picture and which ingnor my screen 1024-resolution!

A simple "click to expand" link on a small picture is better.

If i'm a new customer i would not have a feeling for buying this product.

Steffen

I agree, and even with 1280 x 1024 the images are not completely visible.

I don't think the bigger the better is fitting here :)

and I think, it would be nice to see on the startscreen some news, like updates for the DVBViewer or for plugins. So the people know that something is happening. Not everyone reads the forum. Most just use it when they have problems :(

lars

Ok, but this don't solve the problem, that there are no informations about the programm on the start page.

Look at http://dvbportal.de . There you can see basic informations, you have a part for possible changed screenshots and you see latest news.

For bigger picture you can set an popuplink on the picture.

And the best on DVBPortal is, users with old pc (800x600) have no problems to view this page. The whole site is only 26kb big !

compliment to crypto !

Steffen

You can make a little varyingly screenshot in the upper middle part. This should be possible. And a click on this picture opens a new window with the big picture. With an script this should be possible.

Your idea was good. Only the conversion not. :)

Steffen

there are two little typos on the frontpage:

Technisat Cablestar producs -> Technisat Cablestar products

What are the differents -> What are the differences

There is a special tool called image-optimizer, as a full 30 day trial here: www.xat.com.

Its easy to use and you can really get small pictures for the web.

Also if you lack the time, just send me all the pics to be processed and I'll do it.

Guest hackbart

thanks for the hint. Anyhow i would appreciate to have at least a neat dynamic "home" page.

Regarding the images i will think about it this evening :)

Christian

@Klausing

Thanks for mentioning my site. It is in fact optimized for size. The menu on the left is done with CSS. Even the roll-over effects don't need java script or images. I found it on a page promoting CSS.

I haven't seen Christian's first version of the new DVBViewer site, but the current one is great. I like the design and it is also functional. A lot of information about DVBViewer and important links can be found on the front page.

In general people hate to dig deep into sites. Every information should be reachable with one click. I think this goal has been reached with the new design.

People also don't like old contents. They like fresh information and that is why they come again visiting the site. That is why I added the last 5 forum posts to the front page. Maybe this is also an idea for the DVBViewer site.

BTW. Even the old DVBViewer site had a by far better ranking then mine. Let's see how the new page is doing.

it would be nice if Christian would write in "Product Information" the number of the actual release.