When its ready!

McenterFreak

I know!

When i ask when the next version of DVBViewer will be released, i will get the answer: When its ready!

But be serious, nothing has happend for more than a quarter of a year!!!

Last version is from september!

Have you given up, and lost faith in the product?

I dislike these kind of posts, because it shows that the creator did not took time to read the board properly. So why do you think the project is abanoned because there are no "look how cool we are, we proudly present or whatever posts are made?" If you would read carefully through the forum you would see that there are a lot things mentioned which are planned, working or released with the next version. You should also keep in mind that simple things like creating a changelog even takes longer than somebody might think - even if there are only a few people reading a complete changelog, Lars and Christian are writing them with each release of the DVBViewer, recording service etc.

For instance what is mentioned, but probably nobody (except some german users) read: http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/47490-envy-skin/

Everybody who ever wrote a skin knows that this is taking a lot time. I personally would be happy to get the upnp loader inside the DVBViewer - i also hope that this one will be also embedded in the OSD.

Holgi

The simple answer is, do you want a regularly released but buggy program, or one that has care taken over it and is only released when interesting new features have been added and it is as bug-free as possible?

I prefer the later personally.

Edited by SimonP

The simple answer is, do you want a regularly released but buggy program, or one that has care taken over it and is only released when interesting new features have been added and it is as bug-free as possible?

I prefer the later personally.

Listen!

My first Beta of DVBViewer is 3.5.04 and it is from august 2006!

I have installed this, and all Betas, Release Candidates, and final releases after that (aprox. 45). I have never made a backup, and all releases where used in production, and i have never experienced any problems at all!

So my fait in the developers skills are VERY VERY high.

But, why have they changed policy? Now we don't hear anything. No Betas, no RC, No finals, just 4.9

When users post suggestions in the forums, for new or improved features, there is very low response. Maybee there are "Gold To Find" in the German Forum, but as i am not German speaking, and find it unpractically to filter the forum through Google translate, this is not the way for me

Somebody asked, if my DVBViewer dosen't work?

Yes it works, and i recomend it in the Forums i participate in, but the world is not static, and software shouldt'n be also. There is a lot of improvement that should be done. In my opinion, a lot of improvement is needed in the user interface. The high technical skill put into this software does not reflects in the userinterface, which is not very "sexy", and has no WAF. I know it is possible to install different OSD skins, but it is, in my opinion, not comparable to the sleak experince users get with for example XBMC or WMC

In my opinion, a lot of improvement is needed in the user interface

I agree with McenterFreak regarding his above comments. I will keep on looking forward for the day when this application is available as one complete bundled solution in one place instead of a divided package of Channel-List + Channel Scanner + Main Viewing Window etc. I am tired of moving from one to another, handling drop-down & then Sub-Drop-Down menus. Or else closing all that and going to TransEdit for yet another very common & frequent function.

Too old to handle all that labour :biggrin:

Maybee there are "Gold To Find" in the German Forum, but as i am not German speaking, and find it unpractically to filter the forum through Google translate, this is not the way for me

Yeah, Google translate isnt only unpractical is also does a quite sucky job. However if you are looking for gold nuggets in the German section regarding the future of the DVBViewer, which you unfortunately wont come by in the english section, this is the thread to visit and very well worth translating with google:

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/47317-DVBViewer-zukunft/

Yes, i meant this thread. I guess the software has been reached a state (as mentioned there) of development which complicates changes. As you might imagine it is quite complicated to attach a cellar under an already build house. Which means that there will come in the future a new DVBViewer with a focus on htpc related stuff, as well as a stand alone recording service (as single product with an own flash/html5 player)? As far as i know is that at least transedit found its way to a seperate product (transeditpro).

And Christian also published the envy skin a few moments ago.

Well lets see what will come in the future and you should always keep in mind: The software does not cost a fortune and since the license agreement is extremely customer friendly - Christian has to keep focus more on implementing new devices than something which is maybe just used by customers who brought the software years ago...

Cheers

Holger

Well lets see what will come in the future and you should always keep in mind: The software does not cost a fortune and since the license agreement is extremely customer friendly - Christian has to keep focus more on implementing new devices than something which is maybe just used by customers who brought the software years ago...

I expected this would come up: THE PRICE!

It is solely the owners of the software to decide price policy, but it is, in my opninion a problem, that users can't ask for a better product, only because it is cheap! I would prefer high attention to development, and are willing to pay for it. As an example, i have paid for all upgrades for Cyberlink PowerDVD (latest 50$), just because it have new an improwed functionality, that i am willing to pay for.

So why shouldn't we pay a few bucks to get at better DVBViewer product?

Well okay besides that. We have currently a feature freeze of the actual version (not sure which version number we use, but it will be < 5.0). At the moment we (okay Lars does) write the changelog - this also takes time (especially since we publish a german and an english version). Same with the Recording Service and I also stuck in the middle of polishing the new Terratec Home Cinema DVBViewer Application, which will be bundled with new Terratec products in the nearest future. This has (as you might understand) a high priority for us. 

snapshot.png

Christian