16:9 channels

buchman

Hi,

When I watch a TV channel that broadcasts in 16:9 format (BBC on Astra 2D for instance) I want to get an image in full screen but with the image narrowed (you know, a deformed image, with all vertical lines fitting in a 4:3), so I can zoom it in my 16:9 TV screen and see it OK.

So far, the only thing I could get is a 4:3 screen with black bars on top and bottom, but this is not useful as I lose horizontal lines when I zoom it.

I am using DVBViewer Full version.

Changing values in the "Display" option doesn't help, 16:9 creates the black bars, and 4:3 cuts image from left and right.

Also, I've tried different MPEG codecs but no luck. With another program I used before, the Elecard codec worked fine, but did not help this time.

What is weird is that when I switch to any of this channels, it looks like it is going to do it fine, but in a millisecond it changes the image and creates the bars :-(

Is there any option in the configuration I am missing?

Thanks,

Buchman.

Is it on your PC display ok? And ist the problem only on your TV?

BTW. please look at the pinned thread in Bug Reports and post needed informations

I think, the format is determined by the pc monitor. If this is 4/3 and you want to watch it at the tv-out as anamorph 16/9, you have to do something differently. Dunno what.. ;)

Afaik with elecard there's an option for displaying the format according to the pixels. Maybe that will do the trick.

I do watch the BBC channels. They broadcast a high quality stream. But if you watch sports events for instance the picture format switches from the studio at 16:9 to 4:3 of the event. This is a major headache if you make recordings and want to burn them on DVD. I guess you would need professional software to deal with it. Using stretch functions in DVBViewer does remove the black bars but it the picture isn't perfect. Just a shame that it doesn't work like software DVD players where you can adjust a 16:9 picture to a 4:3 screen. WinDVD and PowerDVD have that function which is very useful.

;)

Daniel