Logical Channel Numbering

DjRaf

Hello,

does DVBViewer support LCN, Logical Channel Numbering?

This feature allows to automatically assign a unique number to each channel, regardless of frequency or the order in which they are found.

Here in Italy LCN has long been in use in DVB-T, but DVBViewer does not seem to care. I am doing something wrong, or the software is not yet able to recognize this information? If so, this function will be integrated in the future?

Thanks.

ATM only TransEdit has a first (and limited) support on LCN; you can see LCN values with "Analyze" funcion on a trasponder, looking under "NIT PID / TrasportstreamID / Descriptor = 0x83 = Logical Channel Number"... and that's all, at least until now (...better few than nothing :bounce:).

:bye:

• 3 weeks later...

I do not agree with this policy. LCN is a convenient help in ordering hundreds of channels.

DVBViewer should support it.

I was looking for a good dvb-t viewer software, but I'll go to ProgDVB which supports it.

Thanks

I'll not return if DVBViewer programmer is so pretentious to think that users are stupid. I want LCN and if DVBViewer programmer does not want to listen to users' need than He does not want me.

ProgDVB programmer is available to listen to users.

This is the difference.

Goodbye, pretentious guys!

Edited by fbi1970

As I understand it, LCNs are only unique within networks. For systems with multiple networks, you'd need to have a two-part ID - network (2 digits?) + LCN(3 digits) - so 5-digit numbering.

I have used another (single-network) system that maps LCNs to scanned channels and it's a nightmare to configure.

Here's a suggested workaround:

DVBViewer - How to sort channels by LCN

Edited by QBox User

Here's a suggested workaround:

DVBViewer - How to sort channels by LCN

Your workaround is useless. Here in Italy we have 2-300 channels (over 1000 positions) and the mux contains LCN. Channels are separated in groups in each hundred. In the first hundred you have general channels. In second one you have other channel type. In third one you can found paying channels. In fifth hundred you'll find HD channels.

Note: Channels in range 400-499 channels are not used, and so are a lot of channels in each hundred group.

Holes between channels are too much.

You'll spend hours to "workaround" the LCN, and as soon as you'll rescan channels you'll have to do all the pain again.

LCN has been created to avoid this pain.

If it exists DVBViewer MUST implement it if it wants to be THE dvb-t software, otherwise it will never be THE one.

Bye

UK terrestrial doesn't have such gaps, at least not until you reach channels that no-one watches! Radio uses 7xx, but I can never remember them anyway.

It might be not so much work to list the stations in LCN order in the Favourites, and to match the numbers that way. Maybe do it in groups of 10 [0-9][10-19]....[200-209]...

Can't see LCNs being compatible with multi-networks. Windows MC might be more suitable for you.

So the matter is that you can have multiple network such as dvb-t and dvb-s cards and there's no way to assign channel numbers?

Is this the problem behind the lack of LCN in DVBViewer?

Create multiple channel numbers in couples (#card,#channel). Let user choose channels in conventional ways (remote or keyboards). Create a way to switch the gathering data from different dvb cards (2 keys, one up, one down).

That's all.

• 2 years later...

I've only just bought DVBViewer, so forgive me for asking...

Is sorting by LCN still not an option (I'm in UK)?

No way am I going to be dragging channels around and filling gaps.

It's surprising when things I've taken for granted with other software are not present in DVBViewer.

Edited by LisaJ
  • 2 years later...

The DVBViewer doesn't support to set specific channel numbers or to have gaps in the channel numbering.

And that will not change in the foreseeable future. Because it would require huge charges.

And as a result of this LCN would only have a very limited benefit.

You would only get the channel order but not the numbers from LCN. And only if the are no channel in the channel list before the channel scan.

So I don't expect any changes in the near future.

It's not the rigid channels.dat structure (concrete is more flexible ;) ) that is to blame why LCNs are not implemented. It's simply the fact that the channel scan procedure doesn't read LCNs from the SI.

Otherwise LCNs could be used just like favorites..

The DVBViewer doesn't support to set specific channel numbers or to have gaps in the channel numbering.

And as a result of this LCN would only have a very limited benefit.

You would only get the channel order but not the numbers from LCN. And only if the are no channel in the channel list before the channel scan.

Hi Tjod,

Thank you for explaining. However, please, consider this:

* LCN values (on descriptor 0x83) only indicates that the corresponding channel has a "number".

* Supporting LCN is "easy" to do with small changes: After the channel scan, and when the full list of channel is completed, then you can only make a full scan of the LCN values of all channels and "automatically" create a new "favourites" list ordered using the LCN numbers.

In any case the benefit is HUGE: Instead of the have a chennel list ordered by "operators" (absolutly absurd in DVB-T/T2) you can have a "good ordered list". Remember: for "satellite" the bouquets is the way for "ordered channel lists"; but for DVB-T/T2 the LCN is the correct way.

Please, reconsider the support.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

The LCN and LCN-HD descriptors are at time used in all DVB-T2 and some DVB-T networks. Thus, the DVBViewer has a lack of a must have functionality.

I hope the developers reconsider the idea to focus only on SATELLITE broadcasts, and considerer TERRESTRIAL (even CABLE) a priority in this good software.

Regards.

This is not really a lack and not a must have functionality. Why do you really need a LCN for a dozen stations. Sorting them is not that quite hard.

Hello!

It would be very helpful, if DVBViewer supports LCN. :original:

An example: my SONY-TV supports it and after a DVB-C scan the channels are sorted automatically.

My cable provider (LIWEST in upper austria) broadcasts around 480 TV and Radio stations.

After using the LIWEST transponder list for a complete scan, I need a lot of time to sort stations manually...

INGBEAN

This is not really a lack and not a must have functionality. Why do you really need a LCN for a dozen stations. Sorting them is not that quite hard.

Hi,

As I mentioned before: DVBViewer is not only for DVB-S, but for DVB-T2 & DVB-C.

I feel the developers of this great software use only satellite broadcasts; and for this reason can say LCN is not a must have... :(

LCN is a REQUIREMENT for hundred of programs found in current DVB-C and DVB-T2 networks. Ordering them manually is a pain, and implementing a simple ordering function (after completing the scanning) using STANDARIZED DESCRIPTORS can't be very complex.

So, why not support it?

Think on this: all hardware receptors (TVs and STBs) with terrestrial and/or cable tuners support LCN.

I hope developers re-think on his position. :innocent:

• 1 month later...

Think on this: all hardware receptors (TVs and STBs) with terrestrial and/or cable tuners support LCN.

this is not true...Here and in my family are some TVs and receivers without this

and LCN is not logical, it is arbitrary from the contentproviders.

Its not so hard to sort once in one or two years some channels.

and LCN is not logical, it is arbitrary from the contentproviders.

Of course that is the idea behind. Each and and every user wil have an identical channel list. :D

You don't have to use it if you can't see the use of it. ;) (it's not implemented anyway)

Why do you think this feature is state of the art in every modern SmartTV?

Hi,

I don't like to comment this with people living outside France, Italy, UK, or similar countries using LCNs.

Please, STOP to comment that this is absurd... because you don't have it!

Remember: Bouquets present in SAT signals are the same as LCN for a terrestrial network. You think that bouquets are absourd?

As the descriptor of LCN 0x83 is standarized, and is not complex to implement (simple full scan, and after complete it make a list ordered using the LCN numbers, no more, only present the list ordered by the LCN values in one group), please think on support it.

Thank you all that helps to improve this good software.

U.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 02/12/2016 at 8:08 AM, hackbart said:

This tells the DVBViewer story in one sentence.

The developers are unquestionably technically adept but have either no talent or no desire to develop software for the non-technical user.

It's technically very clever, but it's not usable from a remote control. You have to be willing to use a mouse / keyboard to get at its features. 

It misses a lot of functionality that would be expected as standard in a set top box.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I need to keep asking for the implementation of LCN support.

As a customer, this functionality is a must have! I understand that it can have low priority in the TODO list. However, I hope we can see that it's included at some point.

Thank you for this good software!

• 1 month later...