Screenshots from TV

tomacco

Hi!

I'd be happy to see the DVBViewer to be able to grab the current Video Frame and save it as BMP on the Harddisk.

It would be really great if you could integrate this function as I used it a lot with ProgDVB.

Thank you in advance :(

The InterVideo Decoder provides such a feature on its property page (open it via View/Filters).

If you don't have the InterVideo (WinDVD), you may try ffdshow (a multi-purpose decoder and filter, IMHO the best for DivX). Download the latest alpha version. Configure it in the Codec Section for "Raw Video" to let it become part of the DVBViewer's filter graph. Open the property page via View/Filters and go to the Grab Section. Then you'll see...

Please note that ffdshow doesn't work properly in the DVBViewer with some decoder configurations. Maybe you have to try this and that...

Edited by Griga

I tried ffdshow which I already had installed. Nice tool btw.

I got it to work with DVBViewer but the picture was somehow stretched and did not fit the screen. I tried different settings but it still didn't work.

I also tried the grab-function of ffdshow but it is not quite what I meant - what I meant was the possibility to grab screens without going through lots of menues. Just the chance to define a key which, if pressed, will dump the current frame to a bmp or png...

I believe you can have such a feature only if the viewer would have his own mpg2 decoder. But than you have to give more money for DVBViewer because for such a decoder Christian have to pay money for a mpg2 license.....

Hmm.

The Programm ProgDVB can do screenshots without using an own mpeg-codec. I think it needs the Elecard Codec, as does progdvb on my system. So i think it should work without licensing any codecs...

Elecard is a licensed codec and the use (of the with ProgDVB coming decoder) through ProgDVB is in gemany illegal. ProgDVB have in Germany not the rights for this decoder.

The DVBViewer will not support illegal things!

Guest DAvenger

It's possible - using OSD/transform filter - which would need to be upgraded to work with MPEG2 (dynamic format change). Unfortunatelly, not so easy as it sounds. :(

Hmm, I did not know it was illegal to use that elecard codec as ist just was bundled with progdvb...

I will look for a different codec, I think there is a free one from the Fraunhofer Institut...

I think there is a free one from the Fraunhofer Institut...

Doesn't work with DVB. Anyway it's a very questionable decoder, since any "official" distributors of MPEG2 decoders will have to pay licence fees to MPEG LA. So a free "Fraunhofer" decoder must be a fake.

However, some freeware decoders released under GPL are tolerated (up to now...). One with some adjustments for the DVBViewer can be downloaded from here.

Some more links for free decoders can be found in the Deutsch Forum. See here and here.