record all channels in the same transponder

WuxiIxuw

hi,

it takes a while to find such special place for video.

we are a small media broadcasting and producing company that have several contracts with local channels so we are recording too many channels on a daily base, then burn these videos on DVDs and pass it back to the channel owners, beside some of these channels let us access its YouTube channel to upload daily shows.

The recorded videos are mpeg-2 from the satellite tv cards.

please i would like to ask for your advise for the best software to use to record all channels in the same transponder.

so looking for an application to be used heavily and be reliable for our business.

we have about 30-35 computers in our lab and each computer is dedicated for recording only.

sorry for bothering you with all these details but just to let you know the exact situation so you can advise for the best solution.

Thanks and much appreciated.

I will have a one computer for each transponder.

So the computer is only dedicated for recording the channels in the same single transponder.

Will it continue recording for a whole day? or will be the usual 4 GB limit!?

Finally which version I should get?

Im not an expert, but DVBViewer Recording Service seems to be the best choice for you. I am not a proffesional user, but i manage to record several channels from same, and different transponders, whitout problems. I am using FireDTV cards, but i think most cards on the market will work. DVBViewer RS is a perfect app to do the work

Im not an expert, but DVBViewer Recording Service seems to be the best choice for you. I am not a proffesional user, but i manage to record several channels from same, and different transponders, whitout problems. I am using FireDTV cards, but i think most cards on the market will work. DVBViewer RS is a perfect app to do the work

Actually I've tried DVBDream and it does recording all channels in the transponder but not more then a 4 GB size for each file.

So I was asking about if it recording more then 4 GB or not? like continuous recording as long as there is a space in the hard drive.

I've been in the Video Help forum and been advised to come here :)

I hope to find a solution for my issue.

Do you mean using DVBViewer® with Plugins ?

Well recording all channels of a transponder (we're talking DVB-S(2) right?) works without problems IF they are FTA. Sounds like a job for the DVBViewer Recording Service.

I've tested the RS recording 4 DVB-S(2) Transponders, one DVB-C Transponder and one DVB-T Transponder with all channels. The system didn't even break a sweat while I was additionally working with it...

If you use the NTFS filesystem, there is no limit to the filesize (except the harddisk itself of course).

One limit is: a recording can only be 23:59:59 long. But using the EPG and autorecord timers could produce a seperate timer (and recording) for each EPG entry (with appropiate pre and post roll).

I use the recording service and find it rock solid, I regularly record all channels on a transponder and I've had 20 channels recording at the same time it's had no issues.

I recommend you buy a copy and try it out, it's cheap enough the try out before you fork out to use it on 30 odd PCs

Actually I've tried DVBDream and it does recording all channels in the transponder but not more then a 4 GB size for each file.

So I was asking about if it recording more then 4 GB or not? like continuous recording as long as there is a space in the hard drive.

I've been in the Video Help forum and been advised to come here :)

I hope to find a solution for my issue.

Do you mean using DVBViewer® with Plugins ?

I havent had any problem´s recording files larger than 4 Gb, but you need to use NTFS filesytem (Win NT, Vista or later). I have had a mistake where i did a recording for more than 6 hours, and i was more than 4 Gb. My latest large recording was JFK in high def, and this was 17 Gb

About plugins: I will advise that you use DVBViewer Recordig Service. It is a free (for DVBViewer customers) app that take care of all recordings, including manageing transponder planing, so that ig you plan to record 5 different channels, on 2 different transponders, the software will take care of that, if you have 2 tuners.

Well recording all channels of a transponder (we're talking DVB-S(2) right?) works without problems IF they are FTA.

Why FTA?

Works fine here with SmartWii (up to 6 cards) and are 100% legal

Why FTA?

Works fine here with SmartWii (up to 6 cards) and are 100% legal

We're talking business user here. You have to be on the save side in this case.

If smartwii is really legal or in the legal gray zone, I don't know, but there are always the terms of use from a smartcard providers (=broadcasters). They may not care about private users using it but when it comes to business, which earn money with it, they might get nasty...

We're talking business user here. You have to be on the save side in this case.

If smartwii is really legal or in the legal gray zone, I don't know, but there are always the terms of use from a smartcard providers (=broadcasters). They may not care about private users using it but when it comes to business, which earn money with it, they might get nasty...

You have a point!

Rules can be different for the country you live in. Here in Denmark it is completely legal to use SmartWii, but i agree it could be different for other countries.

Sorry

P.S. Then he just need to buy enough cards for every channels, and put them in to every tuner:-)

When I do start recording a transponder has 6 free to air channels, does the recorded files are a single separated file for each channel or a one big .ts one need to be work with later on to extract each channel separately ?

I want it to be a .mpeg-2 file.

Please advise :)

If you create only one Timer and select "Whole Transponder" you get one .ts file with everything on this transponder.

If you create one Timer per channel you get separate recordings.

If you create only one Timer and select "Whole Transponder" you get one .ts file with everything on this transponder.

For the quality of the output, which way I should choose?

Also How to extract the channels from the big .ts file?

And will it affect the quality of the recorded files?

If you create one Timer per channel you get separate recordings.

Will the recorded files be a .ts or a .mpeg-2

For the quality of the output, which way I should choose?
There is no quality difference. The DVBViewer/Recording Service doesn't change video or audio, only the video container is changed. You get the seam quality which leafs the TV station.

But in mpg you get only video and audio. In .ts you can record video, audio and subtitles.

Also How to extract the channels from the big .ts file?
Recording in one file has only has no real benefit.

But you could use the TSPlayer (or TransEdit Analyzer) [free ad-ons for DVBViewer Pro users]

http://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TSPlayer_Manual_E/Content.html

http://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TransEdit%20E/Content.html

Will the recorded files be a .ts or a .mpeg-2
If the channels are using MPEG2 for the video encoding, you can chose between .mpg and .ts. If the channel uses h264 for video you can only use .ts for thi channel.

There is no quality difference. The DVBViewer/Recording Service doesn't change video or audio, only the video container is changed. You get the seam quality which leafs the TV station.

You mean I can do extract each channel from the one big recorded file using the DVBViewer itself? and no other software?

But in mpg you get only video and audio. In .ts you can record video, audio and subtitles.

That looks nice to include any subtitles if existing in the streaming as well :)

Recording in one file has only has no real benefit.

I am sorry I am a bit confused, shall I record all the transponder in a one big file then do the extract?

Or to record each channel in the same transponder in a single separated file?

But you could use the TSPlayer (or TransEdit Analyzer) [free ad-ons for DVBViewer Pro users]

http://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TSPlayer_Manual_E/Content.html

http://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TransEdit%20E/Content.html

This is to extract each channel?

If the channels are using MPEG2 for the video encoding, you can chose between .mpg and .ts. If the channel uses h264 for video you can only use .ts for thi channel.

All are only mpeg-2

Finally please note that we need the original pure quality as we deliver an original quality to the channel owner back once again.

Note: We used to use the default software came bundled with the PCI card as shown here which titled (Bundled Software myTeVii) which is working perfectly but I am afraid that it is only recording a single channel and not more then one channel in the same transponder. and because of our business tasks we urgently require a software recording several channels in the same transponder and each channel to be directly recorded to a separated file directly with no interact.

The reason to have the channel directly recorded to a single file is the time consuming for editing or transferring from the recording box to the editing or video encoding and editing box.

I hope that 've successfully explained it correctly the right way.

Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks a lot

WI

If you record via the EPG and say you record all the programs during 24hrs this will create as many files as there are programs which will probably be easier later at the DVD authoring stage to create menus.

Also, a DVD can contain about 4.2 GB of data so maybe it would be wise to cut the recording every 4.2 GB assuming you will record 1 big file and assuming you burn the data on dvd "as is"

I haven't mentioned it but DVBViewer is capable of managing several Cards at the same time so it seems to me you could divide your PC park by at least 2 (30>15) if not more which will consume less electricity and free other pc's to do whatever work you do at this Lab.

In any case the only limitations i see are:

1- hdd reliability

2- If encrypted channels

If you record via the EPG and say you record all the programs during 24hrs this will create as many files as there are programs which will probably be easier later at the DVD authoring stage to create menus.

Also, a DVD can contain about 4.2 GB of data so maybe it would be wise to cut the recording every 4.2 GB assuming you will record 1 big file and assuming you burn the data on dvd "as is"

I haven't mentioned it but DVBViewer is capable of managing several Cards at the same time so it seems to me you could divide your PC park by at least 2 (30>15) if not more which will consume less electricity and free other pc's to do whatever work you do at this Lab.

In any case the only limitations i see are:

1- hdd reliability

2- If encrypted channels

Actually most local channels I am recording from is not using EPG at all and no info available, so I am recording the whole day with a one big file about 16 or 18 GB (This is what I used to do with my current tevii theater software that came bundled with the pci card).

So the main point is to record several channels in the transponder.

But can I recording each channel to a file and avoid recording all channels to a one big file then extract it to various channels?

I think you was very tired, or haven´t read the thread before you wrote this, please do!!

I think you are right as I am very tired to find a suitable solution for my case.

Well i think you have your answer: you can record all channels from a single transponder (assuming Fta channels) in either one big file or via the EPG. The recording time limit in DVBViewer is 1439 minutes (23.98 hours)

Now you have to try DVBViewer there is a trial version but i don't know if you can record with it

http://www.DVBViewer.com/en/index.php?page=downloads

Edited by themaster1
  • 2 months later...

Hello

Please I downloaded the demo version to test recording from various channels in the same transponder as I want but found that recording is not possible in the demo version!!!

SO please advise how can I test it?

Thanks a lot.

WI