Pink video screen...

antdude

Hello.

Once in a while/Rarely my DVBViewer Pro v4.6.x will show pink video screen (overlay GUI show though). See http://i.imgur.com/qfqVP.gif screen shot/capture as an example. The only way to fix it is to reboot my very old Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine.

I tried fiddling with the DirectX's settings for MPEG2 video decoder. I am usually using CyberLink Video/SP Deocder (PDVD7) and Overlay video renderer because that's the best combination for me to watch fullscreen onto my old 20" CRT TV from 1996 while I can still use my computer at the same time. I tried other video renderer setups/combinations (VMR7 video mixing renderer, VMR9 video mixing rendering, and EVR Enhanced Video Renderer) and they give the video, but then I don't get my fullscreen video on CRT TV. Sheesh. It doesn't matter if it is a recording (MPEG-2, TS, MKV, etc.) or a live feed. Also, I have the latest ATI/AMD Catalyst suite and its drivers for my almost four years old ATI Radeon 4870 video card (512 MB; PCIE).

Is there a way to reset/reboot the overlay renderer video part in DVBViewer Pro without rebooting? Also, playing the same videos have no problems in the latest MPC-HC, VLC, etc. Even more ironic is that DVBViewer TE v4.5.1.28 has no problems. I also noticed GraphStudioNext show different details for connection setups:

Pro: http://i.imgur.com/MXfE7.gif

TE: http://i.imgur.com/wWWbF.gif

I tried to match TE's setup to Pro's, but couldn't (note the video renderer). How can I make Pro use Video Renderer Alpha too?

I also even tried restarting ATI/AMD Catalyst Control Center runtime, but that didn't help. :(

Thank you in advance. :)

Edited by antdude

Is your Pro screenshot showing a filtergraph that is supposed to be overlay? Actually it isn't, because the Overlay Mixer filter is missing. The filter graph should look like the one below. Probably connecting the Overlay Mixer failed, so DVBViewer fell back to the system default video renderer, which is the VMR 7 in a kind of legacy mode. Under XP it also tries to use overlay output in this mode, if available, but without color controls.

Looks like overlay is broken in your PC, most likely due to your graphics card / driver, and nothing can be done about it in DVBViewer. In order to verify that the Overlay Mixer doesn't connect, try to build the should-be filtergraph manually in GraphStudio.

Zwischenablage02.png

Is your Pro screenshot showing a filtergraph that is supposed to be overlay? Actually it isn't, because the Overlay Mixer filter is missing. The filter graph should look like the one below. Probably connecting the Overlay Mixer failed, so DVBViewer fell back to the system default video renderer, which is the VMR 7 in a kind of legacy mode. Under XP it also tries to use overlay output in this mode, if available, but without color controls.

Looks like overlay is broken in your PC, most likely due to your graphics card / driver, and nothing can be done about it in DVBViewer. In order to verify that the Overlay Mixer doesn't connect, try to build the should-be filtergraph manually in GraphStudio.

Weird. Now, my Pro can show videos after overnight! I didn't even change or reboot! I checked my settings too. Something is screwy!

I used GraphStudioNext v0.4.9.0 (forgot to mention its version) and took a screen shot/capture to compare: http://i.imgur.com/EYULg.gif ... So overlay mixer vanished when I get pink screen. Hmm! How do I manually add the overlay mixer in this program the next time it happens? I have never done that before and can't figure it out with the current working one.

Edited by antdude
How do I manually add the overlay mixer in this program the next time it happens?

You can't add the Overlay Mixer behind DVBViewer's back in a remote graph. It wouldn't work, because DVBViewer needs a reference to it.

So, in order to reproduce and verify the issue, I would try to build a "stand alone" graph with the same video filters in GraphStudio. Insert the DVB Source, Cyberlink Decoder and Overlay Mixer (Graph -> Insert Filter), then right-click the source filter's video output pin and select "Render Pin". That's how DVBViewer builds the graph.

If the Overlay Mixer doesn't connect, it is not included in the resulting graph, which means, some basic requirement for using it is not fulfilled, e.g. because overlay output is not available or it gets an error when it tries to use the underlying DirectDraw functions provided by the graphics card driver.

Please note: A graph with the DVB Source as source filter won't play anything in GraphStudio, because the DVBViewer Filter expects data via a proprietary interface. If you want to check things with a graph that plays a MPG or TS file, use a file source filter like Haali Media Splitter, that prompts you to select a file when you insert it.

Assuming I am following your instructions and doing them correctly, I can't seem to connect PDVD7 decoder's video out to overlay mixer's input: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/ma9hp.gif (imgur.com is down I think). Right clicking on its "Video Out" box and "Render Pin" did nothing. I did see my Trillian Astra v4.2 b27 Free's contact list blink/flicker though if that is a clue.

FYI, DVBViewer Pro is not showing pink video screen. I am sure it will be back one day.

Hmm, I wonder if I found a fix without having to reboot. I told my video card to use my DVI instead of VGA. No more pink video screen in DVBViewer Pro. Going back to VGA worked too. I still use VGA because of my old Belkin OmniCube KVM, from Y2K, since I use multiple computers. I will have to try this again when I get another pink video screen in DVBViewer Pro.

Edited by antdude
  • 1 month later...

I think I found the solution. I had the same problem, and I think it's because Windows messes up "primary" and "secondary" monitors.

As you know Overlay is only possible on primary monitors. So I plugged in a second montor (My grafic card supports a second one), set some resolutions and then unplugged it again and.... voila! Overlay works!