Help in using a DVB-T and a DVB-T2 tuner together.

smilingcrow

I have been using a twin tuner USB DVB-T device successfully for ages. I’ve just added a single tuner USB DVB-T2 device and by itself it works fine but when used together there are problems presumably because DVBV doesn’t know which tuner can access HD channels.

I imagine there is an easy solution but as a first time user of dual devices I don’t know what it is. Do I need to use channel groups?

Edited by smilingcrow

Thanks Tjod. I was already looking at the page you linked but wanted to double check before using channel groups in case there was a better solution.

Put all DVB-T channels in group A and all DVB-T2 channels in group B (via channel list editor)

And disable group B for the DVB-T device.

And move the DVB-T2 device to the end of the device list or disable group A for it.

So if I enable group A for the DVB-T2 device also and keep it at the end of the device list it will I presume be automatically used as an additional tuner for DVB-T recordings?

It’s such flexible software and I was surprised that it handles DVB-T2 so well. I will buy another license as a thank you.

If only it handled DAB as well. :)

Edited by smilingcrow

Thanks again. I did search for DAB in the forums and nothing came up but since you replied I used the Google search option and found some forum posts.

I only want to access one DAB channel so I will look for a DAB tuner with software that allows repeat recordings and keep an eye on how things develop with DVBV. I’ll post a separate thread on this to see if any UK based users can recommend a DAB tuner and software package.

You can also have more than one instance of DVB, I have 3 tuners and DVB can cope with all of them ......will need seperate config folders etc....but works for me unlike WMC which kills itself at every oppurtunity and has been removed from Windows8 (Evaluation Copy)

Frank

And what is the benefit of using multiple DVBViewer instantness?

Are you watching 3 channels at the same time on one PC?

Hi Tjod, yes it is really handy, especially in football tournaments like we had a couple of weeks ago when there were 2 games on different channels.

Other usefullness is that you can record on the three seperate channels (like the Virgin+ Tivo Box) to watch later. As there is no disk limitations on my rig (4Terra bytes of storage comes in handy).

Another use is to have the BBC London traffic news running in the background (via DVBViewer) whilst watching TV, yes I know you can do that too via other methods but DVBViewer is so easy to use. Ace product.

Frank

Edited by fxv1
Hi Tjod, yes it is really handy, especially in football tournaments like we had a couple of weeks ago when there were 2 games on different channels.
OK picture in picture in DVBViewer Pro works only on one monitor.

PiP.png

The only reason I can think of, to run two DVBViewer instances is to have two channels on separate monitors.

But in this case I would use the Recording Service for recording and manage the hardware.

Other usefullness is that you can record on the three seperate channels (like the Virgin+ Tivo Box) to watch later.
You can do this with one DVBViewer instance as well. If you have 3 tuner in one instance you can record all unencrypted channels on 3 frequents at the seam time (encrypted channels one per tuner).

OK that is good too, I know you can setup the setting for PiP in the DirectX section but how do you get PiP to work? Could not find anything in WiKi (I presume this is tuner dependent) and visited all the drop down menus.

Frank

OSD-Menu [Esc] > Picture in Picture >> [pip and main have the same channel] >> change the main playback channel.

OSD-read [F5] > swap sound

OSD-blue [F8] > Help for more keyboard shout cuts for pip.

Via mouse:

double click on pip > swap main and pip channel

drake and drop the pip position

change the size via drake and drop at the down right corner of the pip

Thanks I'll give that a try this evening.

Frank

OSD-Menu [Esc] > Picture in Picture >> [pip and main have the same channel] >> change the main playback channel.

OSD-read [F5] > swap sound

OSD-blue [F8] > Help for more keyboard shout cuts for pip.

Via mouse:

double click on pip > swap main and pip channel

drake and drop the pip position

change the size via drake and drop at the down right corner of the pip

Hi Tjod, tried the PiP yesterday and it did work. By the way the option is via the Preview (there is no Pip I could find).

I found it to be awkward to keep track off and the PiP disappeared when using the menu system so you have to select it again. I could not get the mouse click to do anything with the "Preview" function.

I prefer to have 2 controllable windows that you can re-size as needed. You can also control the sound. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Frank