Focus!

McenterFreak

Lol, it is always interesting to see how easily people get to their mental boundaries.

Well i suppose the DVBViewer Team made the mistake not to explain exactly what this is (for users like you), so i try to marketinglish the announcement:

We proudly present the worlds first and only digital audio broadcasting receiver software for regular DVB-T sticks. You do not need any kind of expensive hardware or complicated selfmade devices in order to receive the high quality audio stations. It does not matter if they use the old DAB standard or the new DAB+, isn't this amazing? Just plug your DVB-T stick in your PC and enjoy the quality of digital radio. And the best it is FREE for all customers of the DVBViewer. With its simple interface you are easily able to tune, listen and record your favourite radio station within godspeed. <- see i even use a "special" font to add more importance to the fact. If i find the time i might also add some colors :whistle:

It might increase the acceptance if Christian would create a promotional video with a nice looking girl (preferable with big boobs and long hair) hyped up while saying these sentenses.

Edited by LocalHolgi

Erm, you do know that you disqualify yourself with this statement?

Im just saying, that i can't see that i am getting remarkable more functionality, than before. In my country all DAB stations, is also represented on the Internet

We proudly present the worlds first and onlys digital audio broadcasting receiver software for regular DVB-T sticks. You do not need any kind of expensive hardware or complicated selfmade devices in order to receive the high quality audio streams. No matter if they use the old DAB standard or the new DAB+. Just plug your DVB-T stick in your PC and enjoy the quality of digital radio.

Every DVB-T stick? I don't think so. Only those that are Realtek based. And it is not that a high percentage of the people out there using DVB-T have a Realtek based stick. I believe not even 20% of which 5% may be interested in DAB. I have no clue how widespread and popular DAB is though. But I am not hearing a lot of it nowadays. Austria for example is not deploying DAB/DAB+ at the moment at all.

(I have an EMPIA and a DiBcom based DVB-T stick here.)

As for priority... my opinion is that DAB is just as (un)interesting as MHEG-5. But that's just my two cents. I am not criticizing anybody as I am far from a position that can. It is other people's choice and taste ;) . And maybe I am wrong too...

Yes, cinch is absolutely right. DAB is only working with Realtek 283x chipset based sticks. The fact that MHEG-5 is not that successful - even if i think it is still better than HBBTV - is truly disappointing, especially since i spent uncountable hours into it, but we have a lot of sub projects here which might be only for the portfolio. Anyway i love to study new things and i think if you learn something no matter what it is always good.

Christian

With Windows Media Center fasing out, it is very important what should take ower!

Is this true? Is this relevant? will someone here mourn the day WMC dies?

Is this true? Is this relevant? will someone here mourn the day WMC dies?

WMC is not included in Windows 8, and can only be bought as an addon to Win 8 Proffesional, and yes it is relevant, because then customers with preloaded windows 8, need to look somewhere else to get a Media Center solution. Then it would be nice to advice people to buy DVBViewer, but it need to be a more complete Media Center Solution, with a smooth interface, ala XBMC

Smooth interface is not what i honestly want. This is just *bling bling* which is nice to have for a short period of time. I prefer something quick responsive and relyable. I also don't think it is the future to put a HTPC PC in my living room. I prefer something which can stream to all my devices in the household and something which is capable to record all the things i want. The future will the recording service in my opinion :)

Cheers

I'm also not a fan of animation and stuff like that, besides we are capable of doing things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpoPUyWGrqc

It has a low priority since other things especially the OSX port is more important, but as always our capacities are limited and things take time.

Christian

I like the DAB project even though very few can use it.

The fact you did take it on is honorable and gives me hope other long time oldies request would be realized.

I don't mean to step on anybodys toes or anything, but this standpoint and discussion is so out of reach for me to understand I just have to say something...with risk of getting ridiculed by LocalHolgi as well ;) Projects capable of generating business and growing the customer base, such as the OSX port, has highest priority is understandable. However there is no way possible to have one of the best media center back-ends in the world and letting the customer choose between a bunch of plug-ins to get something that resembles a front-end. It gets overcomplicated and will frighten off the avarage Joe taking on DVBViewer as media center. It takes huge amount of time reading up on each plug-in and much fiddling time to get it working. Surprisingly there's quite few support requests regarding the plug-ins, but it probably can be explained with most folks has by then already been lost to media centers more easily managed. Because you already have all the components, integration with animation and stuff to tie everything together into a media center is unavoidable and that will always be your number one request from users. Question is how long you will hold out, discuss, ignore and put up with the nagging before backing down from todays standpoint. Don't forget making a complete media center will probably be the best choice you ever did for increasing business, superseding all the current high priority projects by a huge margin. So, for me as a businessman it hurts to see this standpoint and it's hard to understand it. When owning a high quality product like DVBViewer/RS with so much potential and not taking it all the way and capitalize on it that is a mystery. Especially when seeing the arguments for not doing so. There's probably more con arguments to this standpoint and I haven't grasped the whole picture, but I can only judge from what I get to read/know. For me, this request definitely deserves a high priority status and the threadstarter has a good point.

I'm also not a fan of animation and stuff like that, besides we are capable of doing things like this:

It has a low priority since other things especially the OSX port is more important, but as always our capacities are limited and things take time.

Christian

Are you realy using time on OSX, Why is OSX important?

They have there own HW and SW that works fine for them, why not concentrate on the platform we (Windows) use, and refine that?

I know that i am realy getting in to trouble, arguing with you, but i do not understand your prioritization

Christian

Nice video, but i dont think nice skins does it all. We still need smooth integration of all the media we use: Video, Music, Streaming Video, Live TV, Photos. Your app could be the number one provider. If you can do that, nobody can beat you, because DVBViewer is the best in DVB-X, and just need to bee the best in the rest

I think if you read in the Forum you see why a new product like one for osx might be Important. You find a couple of complains by users who brought their license years ago, wanting their free upgrade. I'm quite sure Mac users are not that cheap. A new product also allows to get rid of things which could not become removed easily out of the DVBViewer.

Concerning the plugins: i like the fact to use them and not to have everything inside the DVBViewer. For example i often use the Youtube Plugin, but i do not want myseries.

Peter

Are you realy using time on OSX, Why is OSX important?

They have there own HW and SW that works fine for them, why not concentrate on the platform we (Windows) use, and refine that?

I know that i am realy getting in to trouble, arguing with you, but i do not understand your prioritization

Not long ago the DVBViewer company invested in a new Delphi tool that allows cross-platform development. This tool is anything but cheap and contemplating that not going OSX would be wasteful. All investments must be capitalized somehow, otherwise you have a loss. So I don't think there's much to argue about regarding the priority of this decision.

Concerning the plugins: i like the fact to use them and not to have everything inside the DVBViewer. For example i often use the Youtube Plugin, but i do not want myseries.

But that is one of the main points with a complete highly customizable media center...you should have the option to disable the features you don't want (even the skins and animations) and activate the ones you wanna have. The hard part is to integrate everything and make it functional and in the same time easy to use. Edited by majstang

I don't want complain about the tax situation here (since ~65% of the our income is pure tax), but at least hardware or software licenses are tax deductions. We already ported the most projects to be XE2 compatible and the first plugin is already available in our members section - the recording properties for 64bit >=Vista sytems. And Elecardfan is right with the situation, there are so many things we like to implement, but it is not possible at the moment. The only solution would be to assemble a complete new DVBViewer which does no longer has these rat-tails like the GUI skin (not the OSD one) and a lot of other things which are braking the development. Lars explained this very well in the "DVBViewer Zukunft" Thread. For example we do not like the way all channels are managed, but to stay compatible with all plugins we can not just change it in the way we now like to have.

Besides that, after i played with OSX i honestly have to admit that i really like the overall feeling of the system and after i *uhm* tested the DVB software available the only logical solution was that when we to create a new DVBViewer, why not a platform independent solution?

All the internal classes are ported and cross already platform ready, only the visible stuff is missing. What we absolutely do not want to do is just a "stupid" crossplatform solution which looks equal under all operating systems. People who use apple systems know why they prefer them and so we will create something which will fit their design guidelines.

Christian

I was very happy about the announcment that you are working on an osx version. I think the usage of Mac software and hardware is growing enormously. After my first contact with a macbook 2 years ago i decided to move from Windows to osx.

I never regret this decision. Most of the software i'm using is available for osx. My HTPC (a MacMini) is the only remaining windows installation. I'm looking forward to change this as soon as "DVBViewerX" is available, even if it costs an extra fee.

I am not at all agree with you: Windows 8 is faster, less resource hungry. Finally, the only point which seems not to unanimously METRO is the METRO interface. Just understand that this is a menu just like the old menu, and you will continue to run your applications by clicking on icons or using shortcuts: the same way you do it today on windows 7 or another.

Windows 8 allows me to run a modern OS on a config that was not running under Windows Vista / 7.

Windows 8 will contain no media center and no MPEG2 decoder. You will have to pay for it additionally. That means, DVBViewer will not be able to play MPEG2 content (with other words: most TV stations), unless you get a decoder from somewhere else.

the METRO interface. Just understand that this is a menu just like the old menu

Like the very old Windows 95 start menu, regarding the functionality. It may be fine for tablets, smartphones and similar toys, but not for a desktop computer that you really want to use for handling things...

Windows 8 will contain no media center and no MPEG2 decoder. You will have to pay for it additionally.

Why would you need to pay when there are many free MPEG2 decoders out there i.e. ffdshow, MPC, LAV?