Wikipedia

LocalHolgi

The article was delete because it had no References. And now body was interested in adding some.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVBViewer

It is proposed that this article be deleted because of the following concern:

This is non-notable and unsourced software.

If you can address this concern by improving, copyediting, sourcing, renaming or merging the page, please edit this page and do so. You may remove this message if you improve the article or otherwise object to deletion for any reason. However please explain why you object to the deletion, either in your edit summary or on the talk page. If this template is removed, it should not be replaced. Please do not add the {{hangon}} tag to challenge a proposed deletion unless the article has also been nominated for speedy deletion.

The article may be deleted if this message remains in place for seven days. This template was added 2009-12-14 04:51; seven days from then is 2009-12-21 04:51.

If you created the article, please don't take offense. Instead, consider improving the article so that it is acceptable according to the deletion policy.

So if some one plans to build a new article:

A page with this title has previously been deleted.

If you are creating a new page with different content, please continue. If you are recreating a page similar to the previously deleted page, or are unsure, please first contact the deleting administrator using the information provided below.

*17:10, 21 December 2009 MrKIA11 (talk | contribs) deleted page Talk:DVBViewer (G8: Talk page of a deleted page)

Hi,

yes, Tjod is unluckily right. The article has been removed a while ago caused by missing references. I uploaded a new version of the article, it probably needs some revision. Since it is an open encyclopedia, maybe somebody might try to fix the spelling and grammar mistakes i did :whistle:

Christian

PS: Speedy Deletion request caused by "promotes an entity, person or product and would require a fundamental rewrite in order to become encyclopedic.". This is quite annoying, especially since other articles are much more promotion than contenter

PPS: 20 Minutes later the article has been removed. This is not really funny.

I think i publish my email conversation with the user responsible to the deletion and start with the email i dropped at the moment:

What exactly should this be? There was less than 20minutes time to vote against the deletion. This is neither fair, norjustifyable.

It would be kind to explain at least the reasons, because"because it only promotes an entity, person or product and would require afundamental rewrite" is is completely abstract and gives no specificexplanation.

In this case you could delete ALL software listed onwikipedia. And by the way the article is based on the german article which isavailable for more than 3 years.

Well at least i got a fair answer which explains the problem:

Dear C.H.,

Glad you got in touch, & that is not a form answer,because I actually like to explain, and I do not mind being corrected if Ijudge wrongly.

What you received was our standard form, & it getssent automatically--I am aware of its deficiencies as a form, and thedeficiencies of that approach in general. I'll reply on wiki to your user talkp. tomorrow, & tell you in as much detail as I can what was the problem& how, if possible , to fix it, or how to ask for further opinions. Just for now, I'll mention that each WP hasits own standards, which are not necessarily compatible. Some deWP articlewould have problems at enWP; many enWP articles would not be accepted atdeWP--and so for the thousands of other pairs. And in the enWP, and possibly inthe deWP, many articles that might have been accepted a few years ago might notmeet our standards today, but it will be a very long time before we deal withall of them.

But I will look again at it carefully in the US morning.

Hmm, less than an hour from publishing to deletion without a reason sounds quite annoying. I can understand if you are "upset" with this, but nevertheless these things often appear on wikipedia since its beginning. It is some sort of "good lord" - syndrome and/or "competitors". But the last kind is probably unlikely since the speed between publishing and deletion was that quick. Anyway i cross my fingers to have the article back on the encyclopedia. It is a shame that the listed htpc solutions there do not have the DVBViewer - everybody who tested more than two or three of them exactly knows what i mean.

Interesting, the time between publishing and completely removing is much quicker than answering the complaint. It seem to be even quicker to get a notification for removal, caused by "No apparent notabilty" for a new article i created. The new article is a copy of the ProgDVB article, but with own content. The amount of lines are almost the same, as well as the amount of links.

The whole wikipedia article process seem to be more disposal than i honestly thought.

Christian

The new article is a copy of the ProgDVB article

If the ProgDVB article exists, and people are blocking the DVBViewer article, it is completely wrong, in fact it's completely wrong anyway as many commercial applications have pages. Worst case is a ProgDVB developer is a wikipedia admin and is deliberately trying to remove your article for anti competitive reasons. You should really take it up on the Wikipedia community boards.

Edited by dvbrewer

I don't know if this is the point.

To be honest i suppose it is more likely that line for new articles has been raised a bit. It is a thin line between advertising (which is really nothing to be inside an encyclopedia) and features which are listed to explain the functionality.

Christian

PS: and it was not a copy at all, i just cloned the way the application is explained in its article. You can easily verify both articles in the history list.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, i just wondered why the article has been stripped down and then marked for deletion. Sorry to hear that, but i suppose this can only be solved by a third party who edits the article. Otherwise you will have a conflict of interest. Anyway it is quite a pretty steep that the links where removed and a few days later it would be taken as reason for deletion.

Hi, i know and i suppose it does not matter what we will write in this article. There is a discussion about this here and i'm sure it will be deleted either way. Frankly i have to say that i think there are much more better things to spent time with.

Hi, well the second try to delete the article has been stopped caused by no consensus. There is already another trial to delete the article with the same arguments. The most annoying fact is that you can not discuss with those moderators who try to see the article deleted. My question why the book links are not notable is still unanswered and i dont think that i will ever get an answer.

It is quite a shame but the whole wikipedia seem to be a huge sandbox with people who build castles and some bullies who stomp over. These bullies even seem to do nothing else than deleting and their arguments are always the same. They have a bunch of guidelines which where put into the discussion (i personally doubt that all of them even read the guidelines and know what they stand for).

Christian

You are right if you dont invest to much time into this. I googled the Mr. Czarkoff who describes himself as "..My other free time activities involve programming the Free Software". I found his software projects on github (https://github.com/czarkoff/timecalc/blob/master/template.c).

Not sure if i should laugh or cry, but this explains a bit is smug behaviour. In german we have a phrase for this: "Gernegroß" (cockalorum).

Holger

Edited by LocalHolgi