Recording quality

dirkmavs

Hello, I am still using skystar2. It doesn't support dvb-s2.

When I record a channel, the quality is worse than the quality of the picture of the channel on DVBViewer(which isn't great to begin with).

I've uploaded a sample: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1162723/sample.ts

When the players are moving, it's like you see a many 'horizontal lines', the picture isn't defined. Basically when the picture moves fast, you'll see that "horizontal distortion". I hope you understand what I mean.

Is there any way to improve this? To make sure that the recording is the exact same quality as the regular video that I watch 'live' on DVBViewer?

These are the codecs I'm using(I also take suggestions on which to use): http://i.imgur.com/TmU3f.jpg

Thank you

I've uploaded a sample

Plays fine here. No distortion.

To make sure that the recording is the exact same quality as the regular video that I watch 'live' on DVBViewer?

DVBViewer records the data as broadcasted (at least in ts format).

These are the codecs I'm using

Decoders have no influence on recording whatsoever.

Conclusion: The recordings are ok. It's a playback problem.

Thanks for the replies. :) Initially I didn't get what you were saying, but you are right. Playing the recorded files with DVBViewer the quality of the image is the same as the channel.

Can I ask you if you played the file using DVBViewer or some regular media player like VLC? I was using VLC(tried with other players and it was the same) to play them and that's where I see the "horizontal lines": http://i.imgur.com/hnQZf.jpg But unless you know what may cause this, then I'll just have to figure it out myself. I now realize it's not related to dvb viewr.

If you don't mind, I have three other curiosities:

- is there any way to see the quality of the broadcast of each channel? I am guessing that the info at the bottom, specifically the changing "MBit" part is already that? I ask this because DVBViewer finds the same channel 3 times and lists it on the channel list and unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, the quality of the image is a slightly different between them.

- on other dvb players(dvb dream, prog dvb), you have the channel list attached to the video window. It's all part of "one". Isn't there a way to make this happen on DVBViewer? When I have DVBViewer on with the channel list, if I click away and it goes into the background, when I go back to it, you'll have two windows now. It's not very pratical. The other suggestion would be for the window to occupy the whole desktop. So there would be three options: 1) you have a window that you can resize at your will; 2) if you double clicked at the top of the window or clicked to maximize it, the window would fit into the desktop(I know that if you drag it up, this happens); 3) double click on the screen and it goes fullscreen. I think the channel list "inside the video window" and also having the possibility of having it occupying the desktop would be good. At least for me, that am always doing stuff while watching some tv program, many times in the background. I rarely use fullscreen.

- what is the best option about searching channels and editing a channel list? Is it manually in the program searching and then editing 'one by one' or is there a more automatict and time saving way? When I use transedit, the options add/update are greyed out.

Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for the help provided.

Edited by dirkmavs
- is there any way to see the quality of the broadcast of each channel? I am guessing that the info at the bottom, specifically the changing "MBit" part is already that? I ask this because DVBViewer finds the same channel 3 times and lists it on the channel list and unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, the quality of the image is a slightly different between them.

..rule of thumb: the higher the bitrate the better the quality.

It's quite common that the same service is transmitted on several transponders. Different services on a given transponder have to share the available bandwidth. More services means less bandwidth for a given service. On the other hand a better quality needs more diskspace for recordings <_<

I have a skystar 2 too and never had such issue

Make sure to read your videos with top players and codecs: power dvd, cyberlink decoder /arsoft / tmt5

Make sure to use the right renderer: evr on windows 7,vista / overlay on XP

I was using VLC(tried with other players and it was the same) to play them and that's where I see the "horizontal lines"

This is called (de)interlacing. You need to enable it in the settings of the codec you're using. In VLC, you can do it in Video - Deinterlacing mode - Auto or On

This is called (de)interlacing. You need to enable it in the settings of the codec you're using. In VLC, you can do it in Video - Deinterlacing mode - Auto or On

Thank you for the info. :)

Yes VLC does not have an option to turn on deinterlacing permanently ...ie you turn it and then the next time you use it is back to off.

I have started to use Zoomplayer which in my opinion is a much better player but needs a bit of config initially.

• 2 weeks later...

VLC has an option to turn on deinterlacing permanently , trust me, it's there, look into options.

vlc- options - video - deinterlace set it to AUTOMATIC and choose BLEND or whatever.

Cheers , I had an old version of VLC ....yep it sure has a few new options as well.

Many Thanks

http://sites.google.com/site/tecchie2011/

VLC has an option to turn on deinterlacing permanently , trust me, it's there, look into options.

vlc- options - video - deinterlace set it to AUTOMATIC and choose BLEND or whatever.