How to enable hardware acceleration?

Alaza

Hi there.

I am running DVBViewer with my Terratec H7, Windows 7 and a nVidia 8800 GTX with the newest drivers. However, when playing HD channels with my Terratec hard, I do experience FPS drops (in lack of a better term). Especially when watching football, it's like the ball slows down and speeds up a bit. My Intel Q6600 is running at 20-25% when the window is full screened, and my GPU is at 15% (measured with GPU-Z). Is it because hardware acceleration is not enabled, or are there other steps I can take to solve this issue?

Thank you very much.

Tore.

You should have posted a support file, but my guess is you are not using a suitable decoder. The Microsoft DTV-DVD one is as good as any for HD video.

You should have posted a support file, but my guess is you are not using a suitable decoder. The Microsoft DTV-DVD one is as good as any for HD video.

I'm sorry, a support file? I've tried to go through the sticky topics on the English forums, but I couldn't find any guide or file for it?

In terms of the codecs: I've been trying the Microsoft and the DivX ones, but my computer locks completely after a couple of minutes play and needs a physical reboot to get back on its feet, when using one of them. I can't however, remember which one. And it doesn't seem to affect the performance, but if so, to the worse I'm afraid. At the moment I'm running the LAV codec.

Try using the PowerDVD codecs they are decent enough. If you download the latest trial version that should do (PowerDVD).Once yu have PowerDVD use that for the HD Codec.

Is the dropout via Freesat or Freeview.....I have better results with freeview.

Check for discontinuities (right click screen-->filters-->DVBsour--> )...if you get quite a few discontinuities it means you are getting dropout at the signal source, nothing to do with codecs or CPU or HW acceleration.

Hope that helps

Frank

Edited by fxv1

Hi there.

I am running DVBViewer with my Terratec H7, Windows 7 and a nVidia 8800 GTX with the newest drivers. However, when playing HD channels with my Terratec hard, I do experience FPS drops (in lack of a better term). Especially when watching football, it's like the ball slows down and speeds up a bit. My Intel Q6600 is running at 20-25% when the window is full screened, and my GPU is at 15% (measured with GPU-Z). Is it because hardware acceleration is not enabled, or are there other steps I can take to solve this issue?

Thank you very much.

Tore.

You need to download the support tool and follow instructions to create the support.zip

Frank

I'm sorry, a support file? I've tried to go through the sticky topics on the English forums, but I couldn't find any guide or file for it?

Click on the link in red at the top of every forum page. The support zip file produced by running the tool contains all configuration and log files. It can save you a lot of time and maybe get a solution quicker.

In terms of the codecs: I've been trying the Microsoft and the DivX ones, but my computer locks completely after a couple of minutes play and needs a physical reboot to get back on its feet, when using one of them. I can't however, remember which one. And it doesn't seem to affect the performance, but if so, to the worse I'm afraid. At the moment I'm running the LAV codec.

LAV is OK too, and configurable for acceleration. I have it as my "B" decoder, but I find it less reliable for HD, especially for audio sync. (It's under continuous development, of course, so may improve.) I've never had a problem with the Microsoft video decoder in Win7. Audio is another matter. If the HD audio is AC3, Microsoft's Win7 audio decoder will not handle that. AC3Filter is the one normally recommended. I think it's now a download option during DVBViewer installation.

Hi again guys.

Okay, so I've created the support file and attached it here.

In terms of the discontinuities, I'm not quite sure what you mean, fxv1. I've looked at the Filter menu, but what do you mean by "DVBSource", and how do I check for discontinuities? I've attached a screenshot as to show what's in my menu.

What is Freeview or Freesat? Is it a different player for DVBViewer?

I actually do have PowerDVD 12 installed, however, I don't get the codec as an option in DVBViewer. I've attached a screenshot showing my options. Can I add it somehow?

support.zip

post-129905-0-36319700-1353250134_thumb.png

post-129905-0-71155200-1353250251_thumb.png

Picture

Hi again guys.

Okay, so I've created the support file and attached it here.

In terms of the discontinuities, I'm not quite sure what you mean, fxv1. I've looked at the Filter menu, but what do you mean by "DVBSource", and how do I check for discontinuities? I've attached a screenshot as to show what's in my menu.

What is Freeview or Freesat? Is it a different player for DVBViewer?

I actually do have PowerDVD 12 installed, however, I don't get the codec as an option in DVBViewer. I've attached a screenshot showing my options. Can I add it somehow?

Freeview and Freesat are TV transmissions methods in the UK (Terrestial & Satellite).

Edited by fxv1

Freeview and Freesat are TV transmissions methods in the UK (Terrestial & Satellite).

Ah, that's why it didn't ring a bell. :)

I live in Denmark and I have cable only.

One thing I noticed is you don't have "Use Custom Renderers" enabled. This is recommended for Vista and Windows 7, although when I select it in my Vista machine (with LAV), HD video becomes jerky and loses sync with audio. I'm sure that setting was enabled on my old Win7 platform without problems (using MS decoder).

EVR Custom is the recommended Video Renderer for Win7. It might be worth trying.

I'm not quite sure what you mean in terms of my video renderer, but my settings are as shown on the attached screenshot. So I've had EVR enabled all the time, but I'm afraid I still have the problem.

Are the other things I could do? For instance, why is it I can't choose the Cyberlink codec?

There's a checkbox in DirectX Video settings for "Use Custom Renderers". It's recommended for Win7.

I guess the Cyberlink decoder has not registered. You shouldn't need it though. The MS one should work fine.

There's a checkbox in DirectX Video settings for "Use Custom Renderers". It's recommended for Win7.

I guess the Cyberlink decoder has not registered. You shouldn't need it though. The MS one should work fine.

Ye, but I already have that checkbox marked. I dunno why my screenshot wasn't uploaded in my last post, but here it is.

post-129905-0-20181900-1353612811_thumb.png

Hi there.

Thank you very much.

Tore.

You are probably dropping frames. When HDTV is showing in DVBViewer, right click the video, go to View at the top > Filters > EVR Renderer (Custom), check the average frame rate achieved and the jitter and post here. Do you get the same frame drop playing a DVBViewer HD recording in another player, like MPC-HC, or Windows Media Player? I had a problem with frames being dropped on H264 HD on my 9800GT, which is a similar card to the 8800GTX, I had to revert to 258.96 driver to get it to work, you also have to right click the driver in Windows Update and select hide otherwise it will keep trying to update.

Have you any experience with this?

Yes.

I realized that my e5200 cpu runung 50% each core and at 2500 mhz (this is max) watching Sky sport1 HD. With 306.97 version. Set 310 beta - all same. Back 1 or 2 version back - all same. Then grab first of my hard drive from last year (285.62) and ...Cpu ~25% at 1200Mhz watching 20 Mbits channel. Latest LAV or Microsoft DTV codec on Windows 7 64bit nvidia 430 gt.

Edited by oldgraf

I have it already enabled it seems. For my LAV codec (which seems the best performing one), I have NVIDIA CUVID selected for instance. See screenshot.

OK .... not too familiar with LAV so hopefully it should be fine. Are you still seeing high CPU usage ?

When I quit DVBviwer my GPU when from 12% to 1% so you can test before and after with your GPU.

Good Luck

OK .... not too familiar with LAV so hopefully it should be fine. Are you still seeing high CPU usage ?

When I quit DVBviwer my GPU when from 12% to 1% so you can test before and after with your GPU.

Good Luck

Watching NFL in HD with the LAV codec puts my GPU to 5-8% and my CPU to 20-25%. And they are both reduced to 0-5% when closing DVBViewer, so something tells me that I'm not running HW acceleration?

Watching NFL in HD with the LAV codec puts my GPU to 5-8% and my CPU to 20-25%. And they are both reduced to 0-5% when closing DVBViewer, so something tells me that I'm not running HW acceleration?

Not too sure about NVidia, maybe some other people can advice how to fine tune your GPU.

My ATI HD5770 is about 2-3 years old and it copes with most things I can chuck at it. Most GPUs have hw acceleration r=these days.

Yes that suggests acceleration is not working correctly, on my 9800GT, CPU is about 5%, GPU 30% with 12Mbps HDTV. Did you see my post at the top of the page- I had a similar problem with frame dropping- follow the instructions I posted to test this, then revert to an earlier NVidia driver as I suggest. NVidia have not really added any advantage for the 8000/9000 series for two years now.

Edited by dvbrewer

Yes that suggests acceleration is not working correctly, on my 9800GT, CPU is about 5%, GPU 30% with 12Mbps HDTV. Did you see my post at the top of the page- I had a similar problem with frame dropping- follow the instructions I posted to test this, then revert to an earlier NVidia driver as I suggest. NVidia have not really added any advantage for the 8000/9000 series for two years now.

I must have missed your post before. However, I just tried checking for "Frames dropped in Renderer" in EVR Renderer. After 5 minutes play time I got 9000 frames approximately, but 0 "Frames dropped in Renderer". I got 1 mSec of jitter, but I'm not sure whether this is a problem?

I could try with an older driver, if I can't solve it otherwise.

You mention trying to play a "recording" in another media. Do you mean just another HD file, like a HD movie or the like?

I must have missed your post before. However, I just tried checking for "Frames dropped in Renderer" in EVR Renderer. After 5 minutes play time I got 9000 frames approximately, but 0 "Frames dropped in Renderer". I got 1 mSec of jitter, but I'm not sure whether this is a problem?

OK, are you achieving framerate of 50.00? What version of LAV are you using?

You mention trying to play a "recording" in another media. Do you mean just another HD file, like a HD movie or the like?

I mean play a recording from DVBViewer in MPC-HC, Windows Media Player etc. and see if you have the same problem.

OK, are you achieving framerate of 50.00? What version of LAV are you using?

I mean play a recording from DVBViewer in MPC-HC, Windows Media Player etc. and see if you have the same problem.

FRAPS tells me that I've got a stable 50 FPS during HD playback on Eurosport 2 (which is the only channel playing a soccer match at the moment, which is the easiest way to see the lag). I'm using LAV Video Decoder 0.51.3.

Actually I can't see the problem right now on the Eurosport 2 channel, but I'll check this afternoon when the Premier League starts, and I'll do recordings as well.

You probably have to give a higher priority for the cyberlink video decoder filter with directshow filter manager , google that.

Give a normal or prefered priority & reboot

Edited by themaster1

You probably have to give a higher priority for the cyberlink video decoder filter with directshow filter manager , google that.

Give a normal or prefered priority & reboot

I've had a look through the DirectShow Filters in the program, but I can't find anything with Cyberlink or PowerDVD. Could it be, that it simply hasn't installed any codecs? I can run the program well enough.

I've had a look through the DirectShow Filters in the program, but I can't find anything with Cyberlink or PowerDVD. Could it be, that it simply hasn't installed any codecs? I can run the program well enough.

Hiya, try and find the codecs ...they are *.ax and then run the following command.

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD12\Common\VideoFilter\CLCvd.ax"

check where the PowerDVD has installed in case it is somewhere else.

Do this from CMD prompt and runas Administrator.

Hope that works.

Let us know.

That helped, I've got the codec enabled in DVBViewer now. However, it doesn't seem to make an impact on the problem. I've tried and record some of Manchester United's game now, but I'll have to check it in the break or after the match, for whether the performance is better in the recording.

An interesting note is that the CPU usage has dropped to 15-20% instead of 20-25% using LAV.

Edit:

I just had the same sort of complete system crash, running the Cyberlink codec. The picture and sound starts lagging for a couple of seconds, and then the computer crashes completely. The exact same problem as with the Microsoft video codec.

Edited by Alaza

I just watched the recording, and played it back in Windows Media Player. Here the problem is gone, and the playback is smooth as it should be. So everything points towards performance issues for the GPU or CPU in my mind.

There are two video filters with cyberlink; one does software decoding by default named cyberlink Video S/P decoder, the other hardware decoding named cyberlink video decoder, if it's not check the DXVA box by bringing up the settings panel.

Edited by themaster1

That helped, I've got the codec enabled in DVBViewer now. However, it doesn't seem to make an impact on the problem. I've tried and record some of Manchester United's game now, but I'll have to check it in the break or after the match, for whether the performance is better in the recording.

An interesting note is that the CPU usage has dropped to 15-20% instead of 20-25% using LAV.

Edit:

I just had the same sort of complete system crash, running the Cyberlink codec. The picture and sound starts lagging for a couple of seconds, and then the computer crashes completely. The exact same problem as with the Microsoft video codec.

That high CPU usage means DXVA isn't working properly, recommend you revert to an earlier NVidia driver.

There are two video filters with cyberlink; one does software decoding by default named cyberlink Video S/P decoder, the other hardware decoding named cyberlink video decoder, if it's not check the DXVA box by bringing up the settings panel.

Is that referring to the SW, DXVA and HAM choices on the decoder.

Frank

Edited by fxv1