Looking for exact FreeSat OSD message

GruberMa

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate if someone would be so kind to test this and let me know the exact OSD message that is displayed when FreeSat EPG has been updated.

For MediaHighway it is "Finished reading MHW EPG", for SiehFern Info "Completed Infosat" - I cannot find the message for FreeSat and cannot test myself as I cannot receive Astra 28°E.

I need this information to further enhance my EPG Update Script.

Thanks in advance,

GruberMa

I use Freesat (UK) and never notice any messages when using EPG....is there a way to force an update ??

Frank

I use Freesat (UK) and never notice any messages when using EPG....is there a way to force an update ??

Frank

Hi Frank,

May I ask you to perform the following steps?

1.) Copy the code at the end of this post into a Textfile and save it as "test.vbs" on your hard drive.

2.) DVBViewer, Settings, Options, EPG - please make sure that

"Do not receive EPG data" is not checked

"Receive FreeSat EPG data" is checked

3.) DVBViewer, Settings, Options, EPG, SiehFern/MHW - restore the default values by clicking on the "Default" button, if acceptable for you. This just sets the frequencies for additional EPG data to the setup standard.

4.) Make sure you have a channel that is on frequency 11428h (Brit Shorts or Shorts TV maybe)

5.) Restart DVBViewer to make sure the changes are applied

6.) Open a command prompt (cmd.exe), move the directory you placed the "test.vbs" file, type "cscript test.vbs" and hit Enter.

7.) Switch to the channel on 11428h you have chosen before.

Now you need to be patient - I have no idea how long it takes DVBViewer to start the FreeSat EPG update. It would be great if DVBViewer and the script could run at least 30 minutes. You do not need to wait in front of the computer.

The script permanently checks for OSD messages and if there is one, it documents the message.

After the 30 minutes or so, please let me know if there was any output that the script produced.

Here is the script code:

if getdvbvobject(DVBViewer) then
do while 1=1
 OSDString=DVBViewer.datamanager.value("#Info")
 if OSDString<>"" then wscript.echo OSDString
 OSDString=""
 wscript.sleep(250)
loop
end if

Function GetDVBVObject(Obj)
On Error Resume Next
Err.Clear
Set Obj=GetObject(, "DVBViewerServer.DVBViewer")
If Err.Number=424 OR Err.Number=429 Then
 Set Obj=Nothing
 GetDVBVObject=false
Else
 GetDVBVObject=true
End If
on error goto 0
End Function

Best regards,

GruberMa

Edit 2012-12-05 11:55 GMT+2: Corrected error in code mentioned in post #4.

Edited by GruberMa

Sorry, a dumb error in the code. This one will work:

if getdvbvobject(DVBViewer) then
do while 1=1
 OSDString=DVBViewer.datamanager.value("#Info")
 if OSDString<>"" then wscript.echo OSDString
 OSDString=""
 wscript.sleep(250)
loop
end if

Function GetDVBVObject(Obj)
On Error Resume Next
Err.Clear
Set Obj=GetObject(, "DVBViewerServer.DVBViewer")
If Err.Number=424 OR Err.Number=429 Then
 Set Obj=Nothing
 GetDVBVObject=false
Else
 GetDVBVObject=true
End If
on error goto 0
End Function

Make sure you have a channel that is on frequency 11428h (Brit Shorts or Shorts TV maybe)

Not present on 11428 H anymore. Radio Caroline or Fashion One will do...

After the 30 minutes or so, please let me know if there was any output that the script produced.

Where is it expected to appear? Must the DVBViewer Pro OSD be active somehow?

The monster EIT stream on 11428 H (4.8 MBit/s!) broadcasts the whole Freesat EPG for 7 days within 30 seconds. I followed the steps given above, and after a short time DVBViewer Pro was able to display the complete EPG for all Freesat channels in the EPG window. However, no OSD message or script output up to now...

Where is it expected to appear? Must the DVBViewer Pro OSD be active somehow?

I was looking for consistency as there is OSD output for MediaHighway and for SiehFern Info (the latter not only displaying a completion message but even Information for each day processed).

Griga, what do you think about http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/topic/8529-com-was-fehlt-noch/page__view__findpost__p__374704?

You have to set ShowMSG

<section name="EPG">

<entry name="ShowMsg">1</entry>

<entry name="Filter">0</entry>

<entry name="ActualFilter">2</entry>

in setup.xml.

You can also set with Tweaker.exe

You have to set ShowMSG

<section name="EPG">

<entry name="ShowMsg">1</entry>

<entry name="Filter">0</entry>

<entry name="ActualFilter">2</entry>

in setup.xml.

You can also set with Tweaker.exe

That's enabled per default. Even when enabled, there is only an OSD message for MediaHighway and SiehFern Info, but not for FreeSat.

I was looking for consistency

Very optimistic...

There is no EPG channel on 11428

It is a pure data service (no video or audio) named FreesatHome, using PID 3003 for private sections. You can see it in the TransEdit Scanner Window if you tick the "Data Services" filter option.

but on 11778 V i tried and no OSD message, only sound the epg is filled sporadically

On other transponders it may take up to 30 minutes to complete the Freesat EPG. E.g. the Freesat EIT stream on PID 3842, 10733 H (BBC London) comes with moderate 50 kbps. The normal (DVB compliant) EIT stream on PID 18 is restricted to now/next information. You can see it all in the TransEdit Analyzer.

You have to set ShowMSG

Was set.

Griga, what do you think about...

I thought about it, but found no simple solution. Your assumptions about the EIT structure are far too optimistic (again...). There is no distinct start or end point. The EIT consists of different tables, consisting of sub-tables, consisting of segments, consisting of sections, and (in theory) each may have a different cycle time. E.g the ARD EPG data for the near future (some days) on Astra 19° East is broadcasted with 10 s cycle time, other EPG data in the same stream with 30 s cycle time.

I have written a TransEdit extension (not yet published) that is able to measure the cycle time of SI streams, but it needs to store a whole lot of additional data to find out. It determines the overall EIT cycle time by searching for the maximum cycle time of the contained tables, which is the maximum cycle time of the contained sub-tables, etc.

BTW: The cycle time of the FreesatHome EIT stream on 11428 H is 20.5 s, each cycle consisting of approx. 40000 EIT sections. So you can be sure that DVBViewer will be through with it in 30 s.

I thought about it, but found no simple solution. Your assumptions about the EIT structure are far too optimistic (again...). There is no distinct start or end point. The EIT consists of different tables, consisting of sub-tables, consisting of segments, consisting of sections, and (in theory) each may have a different cycle time. E.g the ARD EPG data for the near future (some days) on Astra 19° East is broadcasted with 10 s cycle time, other EPG data in the same stream with 30 s cycle time.

I have written a TransEdit extension (not yet published) that is able to measure the cycle time of SI streams, but it needs to store a whole lot of additional data to find out. It determines the overall EIT cycle time by searching for the maximum cycle time of all contained tables, which is the maximum cycle time of all contained sub-tables, etc.

BTW: The cycle time of the FreesatHome EIT stream on 11428 H is 20.5 s, each cycle consisting of approx. 40000 EIT sections. So you can be sure that DVBViewer will be through with it in 30 s.

Thank you for your answers!

I don't stop hoping there will be some EPG status available via the COM Interface in the near future - optimistic, I know :)