New error since driver rev 2.3.0

daffy

Hi,

Unhandled Exception after "Create Error Windows..."

pops up up repeatedly since I upgraded to the Technisat 2.3.0 drivers. My steps to reproduce:

- Start DVBViwer 2.2 RC1 and have it running successfully

- Click on "X" button in upper left corner to close

- "Quickly" start DVBViwer 2.2 RC1 again

In the past, this used to be no problem at all; my only configuration change was going from these 2.<something>.11 drivers to 2.3.0. And, yes, I *really did* update the driver, something that the Technisat installer by itself did not do.

System environment: DVBViewer 2.2 RC1, P4 2.4 GHz (HT), 1 GB RAM, Windows 2003 Standard Server, nVidia codecs (although these are obviously not running yet at this stage).

FWIW, it appears as if this takes down the card, too - I had to disable/enable the card more often just today than I had to over the past 12 months.

The following two entries from the log file might be of interest:

23.10.2004 22:54:09 EAccessViolation raised by instance frmMain of class TfrmMain at 32815FFD:Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 32815FFD in Modul 'B2C2.DLL'. Lesen von Adresse 026F007C

23.10.2004 23:00:29 EAccessViolation raised by instance frmMain of class TfrmMain at 32815FFD:Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 32815FFD in Modul 'B2C2.DLL'. Lesen von Adresse 026F007C

I am reluctant to post the INI, sorry.

Probably an unrelated observation: I got a number of "FATAL ERROR" modal dialog boxes (and, I believe, with "B2C2" or "Skystar" in the text) with the PiP plugin (everything at the very l) while stressing the new source filter a bit. The above-mentioned errors were provoked on a DVBViewer that has neither of PiP, audio, recorder plugins installed.

PS: So why on earth did I upgrade? Well, according to Christian Hackbart,

- HT problems were fixed

- some DMA problems were fixed

I don't notice any fixes for HT CPUs (still have to tie the software to a single CPU for the software to work correctly).

Live recording onto a DVD-RAM drive (LG GSA-4120B, 3x Maxell DVD-RAM media, Panasonic DVD-RAM driver) does not work flawlessly, even though smart buffering is at 64 MB (!). Please understand that my definition of "flawless" means exactly zero hiccups while recording with A/V enabled - and I experienced about 2 or 3 hiccups through 2,5 GB (playing a bit with "Sportschau" to test live recording on DVD-RAM media).

It just occured to me that providing some timing information might have been helpful. Well, here we go:

* DVBViewer starts up

* Splash screen with progress bar comes up

* Two or three steps into the progress bar, "boom" (see above)

I guess that this is something that the error message already told you, but, hey, you never know ;-)

Zugriffsverletzung bei Adresse 32815FFD in Modul 'B2C2.DLL'.

Obviously Marfi's Filter is in trouble with the new driver. B2C2.DLL belongs to it. Does the DVBViewer Filter work?

The 4.2.11 driver already did some strange things (many people downgraded to 4.2.8 after having tried it), but the 2.3.0 seems to become a catastrophy :bye:

So i'd say: never change a running system... I'll rather stay with the 4.2.2 driver, which is working quite well here.

However, it has to be looked after, since there will be a lot of complaints from new users... thanks for the detailled report.

Live recording onto a DVD-RAM drive (LG GSA-4120B, 3x Maxell DVD-RAM media, Panasonic DVD-RAM driver) does not work flawlessly, even though smart buffering is at 64 MB (!).

That's too much, in each case. How much RAM was really allocated or used by the VRP? Those hiccups could also be related to a momentary high PCI load. Did you have these problems with the old driver, too?

Bye

Err, oh, yes.

marfi's filter driver. Rats. I am using that one for a reason. [Hm. Was? Odd. The reason (unsatisfactory video quality) seems to have gone away.]

Time to roll back, I suppose. I do have a hunch, though, that this might be a genuine DVBViewer / marfi problem.

Whoops. New data point: With the DVBViewer filter selected, this error message during start-up (no video!) gets raised, too. And the log file entries that I posted earlier appear to be unrelated. Given the time of it popping up, I would have been surprised, if filters would have been resonsible at all.

Yuck. This 2.3.0 thing and my DVBViewer configuration do not cooperate too nicely. I'll rollback, I think.

@Oliver: No, I wouldn't consider live recording of "plain TV" onto DVD-RAM too demanding. I can copy about 130 MB of data in 30something seconds onto that drive / that media - and live works just about "flawlessly" after increasing buffer size. 3x DVD-RAM should be very much able to keep a sustained rate of, say 500 KB/s.

I guess one of my problems is the assignment of process priorities; DVBViewer is at highest priority, the DVD-RAM filter driver is at normal priority. I picked the DVBViewer priority consciously (it really keeps the TV smooth in the background even when I do strange things); installed the Pioneer DVD-RAM driver only today.

But, for the record, I only started experimenting today. I do know, though, that the Microsoft FAT32 driver for DVD-RAM was unacceptable and that InCD had most serious CPU spikes (what a piece of junk), something that the Pioneer DVD-RAM filter driver does not seem to exhibit.

There could have been a tad bit of contention on the PCI bus, but, honestly, I wouldn't know why (hard disk as the primary IDE master idle; DVD-RAM drive as the secondary IDE master somewhat busy recording the usual, awful, boring football).

I'll continue my experiments, but one promising data point says: 1.2 GB with exactly one minor hiccup with smart buffers at 64 MB. Humm. I could try recording some hdtv... Ah, that's a no go, although using the DVBViewer filter appears to be working much better than marfi's filter (at least it recorded 75 MB instead of just 1 MB). CPU load isn't a problem, BTW. I think I'll try recording a bit with the DVBViewer filter. Let's press "Record" on ZDF while I am writing / reviewing this post...

Just a reminder: This thread is not about recording to DVD-RAM (which I mentioned as an entertaining aside); it's about the error message at startup of the DVBViewer application.

Err, how about adding some indicator of "fullness" for the smart buffer feature? Like that "buffer" bar found in Ahead's Nero burning software? That would really help in finding the "right" smart buffer setting. Yes, yes, this thread is about the error message. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

PS: ZDF Sportstudio was displaying fine with DVDViewer just now, while it was being recorded onto DVD-RAM (470 MB, 10:30 minutes). I am somewhat impressed. More realistic, more scientific testing to follow...

Below is the output from PVAstrumento:

Stream info for

E:\10-24 00-03-06_ZDF (ac3)_heute.mpg

Found 1 video stream.

Found 1 AC3 audio stream.

VIDEO #1

Resolution 720 x 576 (full D1)

Aspect ratio is 4:3

Frame rate 25.00 fps

Nominal bitrate 6129200 bps

First PTS: 00:00:43.361

AC3 AUDIO #1

Format: 2/0 / Dolby Surround

Sampled at 48.0 kHz.

First PTS: 00:00:43.519

*** PVAStrumento 2.1.0.9

*** running at 10-24-2004 00:14

Pre-Scanning input. Takes some time.

Stream info for

E:\10-24 00-03-06_ZDF (ac3)_heute.mpg

Found 1 video stream.

Found 1 AC3 audio stream.

VIDEO #1

Resolution 720 x 576 (full D1)

Aspect ratio is 4:3

Frame rate 25.00 fps

Nominal bitrate 6129200 bps

First PTS: 00:00:43.361

AC3 AUDIO #1

Format: 2/0 / Dolby Surround

Sampled at 48.0 kHz.

First PTS: 00:00:43.519

==SCANNING==

Input: E:\10-24 00-03-06_ZDF (ac3)_heute.mpg

Closing starting GOP.

Aiming for sync at 00:00:43.519

Cutting video.

Closing starting GOP.

Aiming for sync at 00:00:43.921

Cutting audio.

AC3 stream 1 now starts at 00:00:43.935

Video stream 1 now starts at 00:00:43.921

[ Found a GOP with more than 15 pics.

This is not DVD compliant, but many players accept it.

See summary for total number at end. ]

ALERT> Temporal structure wrong in GOP at EOF. Dropping.

Last fileset:

479981222 total bytes written

Video 1: 15721 frames, 00:10:28.840

AC3 1: 19611 frames, 00:10:27.552

Video statistics

================

GOP length (min/avg/max):

9 / 12 / 18 [frames]

256830 / 411858 / 626493 [bytes]

GOP bitrate (min/avg/max):

5040 / 6826 / 8171 [kbps]

++ INFO:

++ 21 GOP(s) with more than 15 frames were found

++ This is not "DVD-compliant"

++ It _may_ cause problems in DVD-authoring or

++ with some DVD players

Err, how about adding some indicator of "fullness" for the smart buffer feature? Like that "buffer" bar found in Ahead's Nero burning software? That would really help in finding the "right" smart buffer setting.

That's what I meant above: The VRP shows the actually used buffer on the settings tab.

Maybe you should postpone testing the DVBViewer filter until the official beta with the new version 2.0 will be released.

Bye, Oliver

You can try the Videorecorder Plugin. It doesn't grab the data from the Filter Graph, like the DVBViewer, but directly from the driver (almost directly - the DVBViewer's PID filter in between). That creates different circumstances. Maybe it does something...

P.S. Important question: Did you only update the drivers, or did you additionally install the new TechniSat software?

A report in the German forum suggests that the 2.3 drivers work well, but the TechniSat software may cause problems. It contains one file - SkyDLL.dll - that is the base for everything that Marfi's Filter or the DVBViewer Filter does.

Please check what happens after selecting the SkyStar 4.2 sourcefilter in the options. In this case SkyDLL.dll is not used directly.

Edited by Griga