DVBViewer V 5.0 - Instant record

Shrubsole

The new version sends an instant record to the Recording service: Is there a way to stop it doing that and just record from the tuner I'm watching on, like it used to?

The problem is I only have two tuners: On set to be used by the Recording Service and one for viewing live TV on. If something is already recording in the Recording Service, it won't allow me to do an instant recording using the viewing tuner as it used to. Even if a set the Recording Service to two tuners, it won't do an Instant Record, if it's already recording something, as it's using one tuner that is recording and the other tuner is being used for viewing, so it just won't instant record.

Is there a way to turn off that feature and just go back to an Instant Recording using the same tuner as I'm watching as that to me is what instant recording is meant to be ???

Edited by Shrubsole

Good to know it's not just me then.

If I can't turn it off, then I'm afraid I will have to make a big step back to the last version.

If the recording service is recording something, I just want to hit instant record to get a clip of something I'm watching. Now it won't let me.

If the recording service is recording something, I just want to hit instant record to get a clip of something I'm watching. Now it won't let me.

No, not true. If the RS is recording and you're watching another channel, the instant recording will use the latter device. Only if a free device is available, the instant recording will waste a resource :whistle:

...and in a two tuner set up, there isn't another source.

The Recording Service is recording a programme and the other tuner is used for live viewing. It used to be that when you did an instant recording, it would just use the tuner that I was viewing (IE instantly recording what I was watching: a clip or a full show) - Now it sends it to the Recording Service which is already using its tuner and therefore can't do the instant recording.

Personally I don't know why this was done and what the point of it was??? I thought the idea was to "Instantly Record" what you were watching.

Maybe if I set the Recording service to use both tuners with preferrence given to the on it normally uses and then set the viewing tuner as "normal" - A stop and start of the Recording service might be needed ?!?!

EDIT: No, that didn't work. I just can't get it to "Instant Record" using the viewing tuner like it used to, when something is recording in the Recording Service.

Edited by Shrubsole

What if you have 2 instances of DVBViewer installed. Will that work for you.

I use 3 instances of DVBViewer.

Take a look here, let me know if that helps.

Frank

"3 instances of DVBViewer" ? But I only have two tuners, so of those wouldn't have a tuner and one is used for the Recording Service as well, so I'd need 4 tuners to run that lot at once.

The problem put simple is that in the old version, when I was watching something (using the viewing tuner) and something interesting came on, I would hit instant record and it would record from that 'viewer' tuner whilst watching it and not be bothered what the Recording Service was doing.

Now that it sends the 'Instant Recording' job to the recording service, if it's is already recording something using up its tuner, it can't do it. (It sends the job, but there are no tuners free to do it) - It's fine if it's not recording anything at the time as then it will just treat it as a normal recording and record.

I'd be interested to know why was it changed to send the job to the Recording Service? What is gained by doing that?

"3 instances of DVBViewer" ? But I only have two tuners, so of those wouldn't have a tuner and one is used for the Recording Service as well, so I'd need 4 tuners to run that lot at once.

The problem put simple is that in the old version, when I was watching something (using the viewing tuner) and something interesting came on, I would hit instant record and it would record from that 'viewer' tuner whilst watching it and not be bothered what the Recording Service was doing.

Now that it sends the 'Instant Recording' job to the recording service, if it's is already recording something using up its tuner, it can't do it. (It sends the job, but there are no tuners free to do it) - It's fine if it's not recording anything at the time as then it will just treat it as a normal recording and record.

I'd be interested to know why was it changed to send the job to the Recording Service? What is gained by doing that?

What I meant is, you can setup the DVBViewer app once for each tuner, in my case I can watch or record 3 channels, one per instance of DVBViewer.

What I meant is, you can setup the DVBViewer app once for each tuner, in my case I can watch or record 3 channels, one per instance of DVBViewer.

But that is a complete pain to do for so common a problem, there should be an option to change this to allow DVBViewer to control instant recording.

But that is a complete pain to do for so common a problem, there should be an option to change this to allow DVBViewer to control instant recording.

This post gets my vote!

Seems I will have to downgrade until they introduce this function.

I'd still like to hear what was behind the thinking in sending the instant recording off to the Recording Service. What does that add?

Instant recordings are just a other way to program a timer. The only difference is that you not need to set the end time eminently.

If you edit the timer and set a end time that are a normal recording.

And that is the way that work in the DVBViewer as well. Even in DVBViewer that are not really connected to the live playback. The live playback channel is only used to generate the timer.

And until the current version it was not possible to send timer to the RS and show the stop recording button on the channel in the DVBViewer. So Instant recordings had to run local. This is now possible.

What benefit do you think you get if the instant recording runs in the DVBViewer?

@Shrubsole

The RS should control all tuners in the PC.

(DVBViewer main menu > Help > Rec.Service Wizard)

A user expects WYSIWYG. But obviously DVBViewer's devs think differently :shifty:

If you set a timer via EPG you have to trust RS and it's sometimes weird mechanisms. You'll either get an impeccable recording or you'll end up with many 0_byte files because the selected device was locked up or something else went wrong. This can happen as well when you press instant recording cos it's not WYSIWYG !!! :rolleyes:

...and that is why I prefer to keep my two tuners separate so that they can never clash.

One is locked to the RS and records any programmes I send to it and the other is locked to DVBViewer to view and instantly record something of interest that just popped up. (An interview or news item etc)

Now even if I let RS have use of both tuners, when one is being used for recording a programme, it can't use the other one for Instant Recording as it is being used by DVBViewer!

And that is the problem.

They should go back to letting DVBViewer handle Instant Recordings and RS to do timed programmes.

I'm now forced to downgrade to make it work.

...and that is why I prefer to keep my two tuners separate so that they can never clash.
The DVBViewer/RS is not designed so that the user can control which tuner is used for what. If you try to control that and get problems that will not cause any changes in the DVBViewer/RS.

Now even if I let RS have use of both tuners, when one is being used for recording a programme, it can't use the other one for Instant Recording as it is being used by DVBViewer!
This assumption is not correct.

???

If not designed for that then why does it have tuner settings in both DVBViewer and RS for you to freely choose to set any tuner to "Normal" - "Preferred" or "Do Not Use" ?

And let's face it, the way I had it set up worked perfectly! Now it doesn't no matter what settings you have the tuners set to.

So it did work and now it doesn't.

"This assumption is not correct."

Assumption?! How absolutely rude you are! I come here with a problem and you talk down to me and make claims that I'm making assumptions when in fact that is what I found to happen when I tested it!

Edited by Shrubsole

???

If not designed for that then why does it have tuner settings in both DVBViewer and RS for you to freely choose to set any tuner to "Normal" - "Preferred" or "Do Not Use" ?

And let's face it, the way I had it set up worked perfectly! Now it doesn't no matter what settings you have the tuners set to.

So it did work and now it doesn't.

"This assumption is not correct."

Assumption?! How absolutely rude you are! I come here with a problem and you talk down to me and make claims that I'm making assumptions when in fact that is what I found to happen when I tested it!

Hope this explains how I set this up. Works fine for me.

RS

By the way, I am just trying to help.

Frank

Edited by fxv1
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually I have some problem about the recoding of the new version DVBViewer 5.0 too.

I can’t find the stop button after I click on the record button in DVBViewer if enabled the DVBViewer Recording service support in the option page. And there are some bugs, the “REC” logo not shown in the DVBViewer so I don’t know it’s already started recording. If I click the record button again, I will create another task in the recording service for recoding the same program even I only have 1 tuner, the button not behave the same result like version 4.9 (show the menu and able the stop it).

Since I can’t find the button to stop it, I need to stop the recoding service manually to prevent used up all the space of the drive. When I shutdown the computer, Windows 8 will show the DVBViewer Recoding Service still recoding not allow me to shutdown normally even I already stop the service in the system tray icon and need to force shutdown to continue.

The current solution for me is disabling the recoding service support in option page.

And may be DVBViewer should set the default value to disable to prevent these issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Developers,

I would also like to have an option to configure how instant recording is handled or the current logic improved. v5.0 implementation does not work in the following scenario I have.

1. Two card setup, only tuner #1 has CI module and is able to view paid channels

2. Recording service configured to Prefer #2 (so any free channel recording still leaves tuner #1 free for any channel viewing - both free and paid)

3. Start watching paid channel (Tuner #1 in use) and try to make instant recording

4. It sends timer to service ok, but as my tuner #1 is already used by DVBViewer to watch the paid channel, instant recording fails on service

Please improve the logic or implement a feature to control how instant recordings are handled. If I disable "Send timers to service" from options I can make instant the problematic scenario work, but then I lose ability to send any timers from DVBViewer EPG to the Service.

Does this makes sense?

I have re-installed the earlier version as V5 just no longer does what I need it to do.

Please can we have instant recording back as it was with DVBViewer doing it rather than sending it off to the RS for no good reason?

When things were separate, obviously nothing ever clashed. Now the chances of you not getting your recording doesn't happen.

It made sense and was so simple before I can't see the logic in changing it. The TS handled set up recording whilst if something came on that interested me whilst viewing, I could just hit Instant Record and DVBViewer would get on with that regardless of what the RS was up to. - It all worked just fine. But as it wasn't broke, it seems they have fixed it!

But it now means that I can now never update the programme unless a future version lets us decide what handles Instant Recordings.

Edited by Shrubsole
  • 1 month later...

It's definitely not just you Shrubsole, the problems I'm experiencing are a little different though, my instant records are recording twice and I can no longer access the viewer's settings for the recording service.

I'm using a twin tuner Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-500 PCI card and the tuner allocation settings are all set to normal.

Once upon a time I actually wanted the service to handle instant record timers so I could close the viewer whilst in the middle of instantly recording something but I certainly didn't want it implemented like it has been.

When I try to access the "Recording Service" section at the bottom of the viewer's options page, it just locks up and sends the CPU into a fit and I have to use task manager to end the viewer process. The "Rec. Service Wizard" also locks up the viewer after selecting it from the "Help" menu.

I don't know what, why or how but can someone please look into these issues instead of dismissing them as user errors, they're extremely annoying and I too will be reverting back to an old version.

Good to hear it's not just me!

All I would like is a simple option to either let DVBViewer handle the instant recording as it used to or to have it sent to the recording service.

They could then address the problems (bugs) that the sending it to the recording service seems to have.

my instant records are recording twice

support.zip

When I try to access the "Recording Service" section at the bottom of the viewer's options page, it just locks up and sends the CPU into a fit and I have to use task manager to end the viewer process. The "Rec. Service Wizard" also locks up the viewer after selecting it from the "Help" menu.

Sounds very strange. I have no idea from that description. And it is the first time that I hear from such problem.

First suspect by all strange the anti virus program. Which do you use?

But I don't see a real connection with the change by the instant recording.

@Shrubsole

Don't mix feature request with bug report.

Well there's a first time for everything Tjod, I've never had problems accessing DVBViewer's "Recording Service" options page until now.

There's actually no anti-virus software installed at all and before you ask "how do I know my system isn't infected?", there is no infection, take my word for it, I use adequate alternatives to running and updating anti-virus software all the while.

The problem(s) didn't exist before the recent changes so they're obviously caused by them.

The fact that it's the first time you've heard of such a problem is probably because the changes were made so recently.

DVBViewer v5.0 may well have been available since 22/12/12 but I didn't bother upgrading to it until the other day.

Don't worry about it, I don't expect any better, the developers and forums weren't of much help the last time I REALLY needed their assistance, a little while back I was experiencing the same problem every day for TWO YEARS, my PC would intermittently blue-screen whilst using DVBViewer and it was more likely to do so whilst using both tuners. I contacted the developer and used the forum for the first time but it was like banging my head against a wall, there were countless posts back & forth and the support ZIP data was collected and uploaded but you guys didn't want to accept that there really was a problem because it wasn't being experienced on a large enough scale for you to sit-up and take notice, someone even suggested that the problem was down to the amount of codecs and filters that were installed at the time, even though nearly all of them were installed as part of legitimate software installations such as Nero and Sound Forge.

Did you guys ever find out what the problem was? - it was an issue caused by data corruption with USB devices on Windows XP SP2 AND SP3, KB969238 is an "SP4" USB driver hotfix but you have to "request" the download link from Microsoft.

Shrubsole's suggestion would at least provide a workaround to the reported bug(s) so it's not really a feature request.

Hi!

@Shrubsole

Maybe I'm getting things totally wrong, but at home I've got a Terratec Cinergy DT USB XS Diversity, which has a dual DVB-T tuner. The Recording Service (1.25) controls both hardware devices, while the DVBViewer Client (5.0) is not allowed to access the hardware directly, but of course is configured to have two RTSP devices, one for each tuner actually present in the system. In this setup, if the RS is performing a record of one channel, I can press 'r' at any time and on every other channel I'm currently watching to start an instant recording. Now both recordings are executed by the RS. Of course now I'm no longer able to switch to another channel, obviously because both tuners are active in recording. However, stopping the instant recording by pressing 'r'->1, again allows me to switch to another channel.

Isn't this what you try to achieve??

Best wishes,

Indy

Edited by Indy06
  • 3 weeks later...

"@Shrubsole
Don't mix feature request with bug report. "

Hard to believe that this sort of rudeness is directed at PAYING CUSTOMERS OF THIS PRODUCT!

This thread is about mine (and others) genuine concerns about change that has been made. It's not a request or a bug report or anything - It's a major complaint!

You would do well to listen to customers and cut the rudeness.

Edited by Shrubsole

If you are a customer looking to buy a new DVB program or to buy new version of a DVB program.

And instant recordings in the client and other recording on the server is a essential feature for you.

You should consider buying a different program. o:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customer

http://xkcd.com/1172/ ;)

ps: I'm speaking only for me. I'm not a CM&V employee. I help here only in my free time.

I've already brought this programme. So it's insulting to tell me to go and buy another just because they have decided to change the spec of this one with no option to change it - Consider this a paying customer complaint.

I'm getting the clear message that it's a question of now we have got your money we don't care what you think and will change it even if it no longer works for you and are so arrogant that we won't even put in a simple option to choose the way it works.

Maybe another programme does have better customer support as this some seems to have sod all and arrogant answers on here.

@Shrubsole

Maybe another programme does have better customer support as this some seems to have sod all and arrogant answers on here.

Keep calm and be sure that DVBViewer *IS* the most supported software of all. Have you read my post of April, 4th? What's wrong with this kind of configuration and why can't you use it?

Best wishes,

Indy

I use only one tuner and don't have the recording service installed. I don't see much use for the recording service with only one tuner, but we do like to record from time to time. I actually desinstalled the recording service as it didn't work with the plugin necessary to view scrambled channels (in a totally legal way). In short: we also cannot record anymore and my family requested to reinstall version 4.9.

§ 13

Do not ask for or discuss plugins for descrambling/decrypting pay-tv or key-codes.

Although the DVBViewer Pro provides full pay-tv functionality it must only be used in combination with a valid subscription of a pay-tv provider, a tv-card/box featuring a "conditional access module" (CAM)and/or the corresponding "common interface" (CI) with a smart-card. This applies regardless whether software-descrambling is allowed in your country or not.

http://www.DVBViewer.tv/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

If I'm not mistaken, this kind of problem can't be possible if RS and dvbv is configured correctly?

So I cannot understand the problem either.

If you use RS, dvbv cannot be allowed to access any hardware. Why would you want to use only one tuner at RS and one at DVBV? What do you gain of it? Or is it two different computers, then I would undestand it...

I have just tried this on a system with RS1.25 one one machine controlling two DVB-T tuners and another machine with DVBV Pro 5.0.0.0 and a single terrestrial Unicast device.

With a scheduled recording running, I tuned to another mux and pressed the REC button. The recording started and the program continued to show live TV. I could switch between watching both recording channels on the client, but any other channel selection was redirected to the timer recording.

Isn't this exactly what the OP wanted? If not, could he explain again why he needs the client to have it's own tuner?

I can see an issue if my RS machine is in standby and I wanted to watch live TV on the client. Then I'd get an error message if I tried to Record. The solution here is to use Timeshift and select "Keep Timeshift-file" in the main menu. This will then keep a local recording of the program being watched. Perhaps the OP could make use of this facility.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Another request for at least the apparent functionality to return to how it was.

I have one WinTV Nova HD-S2 tuner, DVBViewer 5.1.0.0 and Recording Service 1.25.0.0 installed and I cannot do instant recordings at all. I click the record button in DVBv and it highlights the programme in RS but does nothing. I tried 'Send to PVR' in RS for an ongoing show but still nothing so at the moment it is impossible for me to record something that I am already watching.

I don't care if DVBv or RS records it (although many people won't want to install RS as well so I think this is a backward step) but I do need to be able to hit that red button and record what I am watching so please fix this ASAP.

I also wish you would sort out series recordings so that we can click on a show and have it record all instances of it regardless of day and time but I guess that's off-topic for this thread.

Edited by SimonP

I have one WinTV Nova HD-S2 tuner, DVBViewer 5.1.0.0 and Recording Service 1.25.0.0 installed and I cannot do instant recordings at all. I click the record button in DVBv and it highlights the programme in RS but does nothing. I tried 'Send to PVR' in RS for an ongoing show but still nothing so at the moment it is impossible for me to record something that I am already watching.

Most likely a configuration problem. But without support.zip it is not possible to say what is wrong.

http://en.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Recording_Service_Installation_Guide#Setting_up_DVBViewer