support for budget cards

tsuke

Guest hackbart

well, probably 2005-6. The reason is not that it would not be possible, the reason is that there are that much main priority things which has to be solved before:

1. nordic subtitles (and i mean not only 4bit images).

2. HTPC capabilities which should be as much powerful as those commercial competitors

3. easy to use and fully visual impaired compatible cut software.

and much more ;)

Christian

1. nordic subtitles (and i mean not only 4bit images).

Which FTA channels have nordic subtitles?

..afaik, none ;) but some of the other budget cards have CI capability (maybe in future the ss2 or it's successor as well)

On 1W to my knowledge, there's only one nordic channel with dvb subtitles. That' NRK2. But there are more in scandinavian cable networks (e.g. finland), so I heard. There is also a recommendation from EBU to use dvb subtitles in all new systems ;)

Guest DAvenger
well, probably 2005-6. The reason is not that it would not be possible, the reason is that there are that much main priority things which has to be solved before

I think the main priority would be to support ALL official standards. This is a very strong feat from the marketing point of view (be it subtitles, DVB-C, T ... whatever, what do I know :bierfink: )

As you've already implemented support for DVB-C & T it's only logical to add support for more cards (the more the better) because you are limitting yourself to SS2 owners only. There are many DVB apps with support for almost any possible card, sure they're not so good and easy to use but they will ultimatelly get better and reach a point where the potential DVBViewer user will have to decide against you ...

2. HTPC capabilities which should be as much powerful as those commercial competitors

Well, that's nice and all but first of all there are only very few people who use HTPCs and know what HTPC actually is. It's not gonna cut it.

Moreover, it will divert you from what is really important and end-up being bloated and slow. You can't mix those two things even though they logically seem to go together.

3. easy to use and fully visual impaired compatible cut software.

Wouldn't be my priority - usually I only watch. Has this been requested by a reasonable amount of people?

Guest hackbart

to 3) yes at least by a a very kind person who is blind and want to listen tv as well as the others. After playing with tools like Jaws i found out that only a few programs really support such things. Even if there are only a few possible blind users, i would say its worth enough to support their needs :bierfink: Two thumbs up for: http://www.barrierefrei-kommunizieren.de/

Christian