Very bad software

teoxan

Hello,

A couple days ago I purchased DVBViewer, I"m already registered user of ProgDvb and needed something lighter. I have a Tevi DVB-S2 pci card and a DVB-T USB stick from Avermedia.

Both the hardware perform perfect in ProgDvb.

Unfortunatelly, bying that software was a very bad idea.

First of all, it has a very strange list of satellites, I'm using a motor and that "target root" in the channel scan has only 4 satellites.

Trying to scan other satellites using the "Site" button ( I guess it's how they call the USALS) and I get no channels.

Another thing, I have no picture in the FTA channels in Astra 19.2 and the other 3 satellites they have.

I'm using the Avermedia codec and the Elecard codecs for HD channels that work well in any other sofware I tried, but not in DVBViewer.

I regret my 15 euros.

How much did ProgDVB cost you? mmmm? Each to his own I suppose. I didn't get along with ProgDVB, it crashed my system on so many occasions I gave up on it. Doesn't the latest version use that god awful excuse for a programming language dotNet? It's so slow a slug can beat it in a race.

I think that you have not looked in the options and made the necessary changes for your system. Codecs should not be a problem if registered correctly. The only missing thing for some people are custom renderers.

You can and should scan for your satellites rather than relying on a list IMO. Satellite lists are available and can be compiled but Transedit does such a good job, it isn't really necessary. There is a very comprehensive support for DiSEqC in DVBViewer. You can also import a channel list if you desire. You just need to learn how to use DVBViewer and once you have, you will find it is fast and works extremely well.

The codecs you should just select them in the options, there is a 2ndry codec [Video Output B] which can be selected so you can use 2. It might be worth you looking at the wiki. There is a system default which should pick up the highest merit codec, which I never use. I always set them manually so I know what is going to be used. Maybe your codecs are not the system default so don't automatically get used. Time for you to look in the options, under DirectX.

Scanning should always be done with the separate TransEdit program, downloaded from Members' area. This program permits selection of motor control by satellite. You can have a mixture of DiSEqC 1.2 (position) or 1.3 (longitude - equivalent to USALS). Use the Positioner Console to move between satellites while scanning.

You can download up-to-date lists from a number of sources, including this forum (search for "Transponder lists") or KingofSat. Copy them to your Transponder folder - unless you use XP, this will be in the Configuration folder (under Program Data\CMUV).

For terrestrial, use a blind scan - there are some option lists for different regions.

As noted, codecs usually need initial experimenting. On Windows 7, Microsoft is good for video, but not audio. Most people find LAVfilters acceptable, though they need some setting up.

If you want something "lighter", there's a "GE" version of DVBViewer Pro in the Members' area. This doesn't have some of the advanced features of the main program, but it still uses TransEdit for creating channel lists.

I did look at the options, I did read the Wiki and I used the transedit for the USALS. The problem was that it didn't pass the correct orders to move the motor, so in any satellite I was scanning I always got the Hotbird channels.

I'm not a newbie, over the years I have spent a lot of time and effort with DVB software, and yes ProgDvb does crash sometimes but it works in my configuration.

I don't expect everything to work flawlesly, after all which software works without problems in Windows? I'm just frustrated by the fact that DVBViewer needs sooo much effort to work in a basic manner.

The Elecard codecs are correctly registered, and yes I have passed the correct coordinates for USALS.

TransEdit will not move the motor unless the Positioner Console window is open. I usually enter the command manually (goto angular position) before scanning, then use drive commands with Analyzer window open to show quality, finally using store preset when quality is maximum.

Each satellite has an "Extended" DiSEqC option to repeat a command, or insert a delay (if LNB power is off when not tuned). I found this useful when first setting up. e.g. Delay (300ms) - command - delay - command, to ensure the command gets sent.