PDC for UK channels

uglyned

I have access to some German channels so I had a play with setting recordings using PDC and it works really well. It would be very nice if this functionality could be added for UK Freesat (satellite) and Freeview (terrestrial) channels as they carry PDC signals too.

Also if you could also start reading the series link data so we can set up series recordings that would be great too - as there is still no way of setting up series recordings through the DVBViewer.

There is no PDC descriptor in the Freesat EIT. AFAIK Freesat/Freeview are using the TV Anytime system for accurate recording (see ETSI TS 102 323).

I can see Content Identifier Descriptors in the EIT, providing a CRID (Content Related ID). However, it would take more researches to find out what to do with it.

From what I've read Freesat & Freeview use what they term as 'accurate recording', from what we've recorded on our freeview+ box it seems to work. Reading the forums on the Freesat side there are lot of complaint, as it relies on broadcasters sending the signals at the right time and it doesn't seem to be consistent.

Personally I don't trust anything that depends on a broadcaster to send a flag at the right time, I'll stick to 5mins before and 15mins after - after all it's only disk space and we have forward/rewind

Also 'accurate recording' allows the broadcaster to send junk signals to stop a recording happening, a crude form of copy protection, doubt it'll ever get used in the UK, as there would be uproar