Can’t play TS files transferred from a Humax Freesat box

smilingcrow

I have a Humax Foxsat-HDR Freesat PVR and have installed the custom firmware which allows it to transfer files to a PC over a network; see Raydon’s Media and File Server Bundle.

The TS files fail to play although I have tested them in VLC and WMP where they consistently play fine. Note these are SD files as the HD ones use DRM so are not playable without a hack I presume.

When I try and play one DVBV initially becomes unresponsive and then the playback position bar jumps in large increments but no video is shown.

Help appreciated in how I need to configure DVBV to handle these files as VLC is no substitute in my eyes; never seen why it’s rated so highly.

Can you upload a TS sample to some webspace?

Would you recommend a site as I haven't uploaded video files before?

How long a sample do you require?

Let's first try something else.

Please get TransEdit 3.9 from the members area, if you don't have it yet, and read the installation instructions in the ReadMe. Then drag & drop the TS file in question on the TransEdit icon. The TransEdit Analyzer will pop up. What does it show? Post a screenshot.

I was surprised how it looked but haven’t noticed any visual artefacts.

Your method has done the trick; thank you so much.

It was good to use VCL for a while as it made me appreciate DVBV even more. :)

Long time user and not had a reason to move away and still don’t.

I do wish you would fix the Jump List issue as then I’d give you a 10 rather than a 9.5.

Your method has done the trick

Fine. Obviously your Humax uses a TS packet size that is typical for BluRay disks (192 instead of 188). Maybe we can add an auto packet size detection. I will think about it...

I was using 5.0 and it was very slow when opening these files and then I noticed that RAM consumption had jumped to over a GB after playing 2 or 3 of them; this was repeatable.

I’ve now installed 5.1 and even after 2 or 3 files consumption is still around 75MB.

It’s great when you find an issue and the solution is already at hand. Nice on. :)

• 3 years later...

Yes, it doesn't change anything TransEdit can't open it at all and MediaInfo doesn't detect anything.

My first guess would be some sort of encryption to prevent users from moving recordings to different devices.

Yes, it doesn't change anything TransEdit can't open it at all and MediaInfo doesn't detect anything.

My first guess would be some sort of encryption to prevent users from moving recordings to different devices.

yes. i think so. anybody know how to decrypt the file?

I have read (not tested myself, no guarantee!) that DVR-Studio from http://www.haenlein-software.com/ can read many of those recordings or disks in special formats that are not recognized by windows. There is a trial version there and a "Supported devices" section. But again, I don't know if it really works.

I have read (not tested myself, no guarantee!) that DVR-Studio from http://www.haenlein-software.com/ can read many of those recordings or disks in special formats that are not recognized by windows. There is a trial version there and a "Supported devices" section. But again, I don't know if it really works.

no luck.

Then I assume there is no chance. I read in SmartTV forums that this tool seems to be the only one that can read encrypted recordings (most SmartTVs and receivers record in a way that recordings can only be played back on the unique device who recorded it).

Perhaps you must use the Tool to retrieve the recording from the device, not try to decode it afterwards when you already have it.

Btw. you did not write from which device the recording was (manufacturer, model).

Then I assume there is no chance. I read in SmartTV forums that this tool seems to be the only one that can read encrypted recordings (most SmartTVs and receivers record in a way that recordings can only be played back on the unique device who recorded it).

Perhaps you must use the Tool to retrieve the recording from the device, not try to decode it afterwards when you already have it.

Btw. you did not write from which device the recording was (manufacturer, model).

maybe 128 bit encryption or end-to-end.

i didnt mention the device info coz the device is only using in my country. so no other ppl will use for sure. anyways thanks for the try. im gonna buy recording device as u said. thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

You can use the custom Humax software to remove the Encryption. This has to be done on the Humax device that recorded the file. Read the manual since it is not very intuitive.

This certainly allows use of HD files and maybe fixes your other issues.

FWIW

Edited by PerryM