All-in-One?

MrG

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. However, I'm not a real newbie ;) because I have installed Sceneo TVC, MediaPortal and GotAllMedia. I got all of them running (inkl. EPG import from nextview TVXML). But - nothing was truely satisfactory in all respects.

Some lack stability, some usability or features. You will know what I mean. :P

Now I was wonderung if DVBViewer could be the cure for my MediaCenter pain. ;) I kindly ask for advice and your experience.

I'm willing to spend the money for the full version, if it is - lets say - promising. The following issues are most important

- EPG directly vom DVB (no internet download a.s.o.) with Timeline!

- Usable via Remote Control only for everyday duties (without keyboard/mouse)

- Stable, stable, stable ;)

- Integration of all component (e.g. Soundcard with digitial Out for DD2.0 or dts)

- Full Feature set LiveTV, EPG, TV-Recording/Playback, Radio, Image Diashow(!)

-- Plays MP3

-- Plays WMA and protected(!) WMA

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

MrG

And i'm not sure what with protected WMA is.

Thank you both for the quick reply! :P

The protected WMAs are WMAs that use Digital Rights Management (DRM). They are popular in commercial music download portals and do only play back on the original system they were bought for. Is that supported?

4 More things I would like to know.

1. Is there integrated support for CD playback?

2. Does DVBViewer support autoplay for both CD and DVD?

3. Can you listen to CD while recording TV (with some other sw/configurations you get a mixed playback with is crap)

4. Can you use DVBViewer for CD Playback without a monitor/tv (it's sometimes quite inconvenient if you have to switch on the TV for just listening to cd)

Thanx again and regards,

MrG

If you would send me such an wma i would test it for you

1. yes

2. no autoplay

3. yes if you use for CD an other application

4. which application can do this ?

4. It might be possible by remote control, but I have never try it.

Edit: At the moment, its not possible. I cant open the CD by remote

Edited by Hartwig
4. It might be possible by remote control, but I have never try it.

Edit: At the moment, its not possible. I cant open the CD by remote

@Klausing

As DAvenger said. I cannot send you a DRM WMA because it will not play on your system. Maybe you have heared of other users that play back protected WMAs? Or you just make subscibtion with karstadt.de or musiload... ;)

@Hartwig

If the CD cannot be ejected by remote that's ok.

My point is: Can I boot up my media pc (tv set witched off all the time), insert a cd, push play on the remote and the cd will play?

Just imagine how annoyed your wife or girlfriend would be if she had to switch on the TV and jump through the menus every time she wants to listen to a CD. ;) And - I would agree - it would be usefull to have it as easy as it is with a normal HiFi rack. ;)

Are there screenshots that show DVBViewer without any frames or borders? On http://www.DVBViewer.com/shots.htm it still looks so "windowish". Can that be hidden so I might forget for a minute :P that I am using a windows computer in my living room?

How likely is it that feature requests are accepted by the dev team? Do they spend a lot of time on it? Or do they take bribes? ;)

I cannot judge the software so far - but the forum and the people around seem to be really nice. ;)

Regards,

MrG

Guest Lars_MQ

Wow a lot of questions.

I will answer some of them.

What your looking for is currently under development (well at least most of it ;) ).

If you start the DVBViewer in fullscreen mode, it will be really fullscreen, no windows stuff visible.

The part with the audio cd. That will be a little bit difficult, but you could combine it with an barebone of msi as example they look nice enough for a living room (if your wife is a little tolerant ;) ) and have the capability to play audio cds without even booting (if I understood this correctly). Or you can use a litte lcd display to show all relevant informations...

Ah yes feature request are allways welcome (especially written on 100 euro notes :P ) naa just joking, if a request makes at least a little bit of sense there is a good possiblility that it will be implemented.

lars

Are there screenshots that show DVBViewer without any frames or borders?
look at my signature My flashanimated DVBViewer have nearly the same feeling like the actual without skins ... etc.

BTW. What would you see without Frames and Borders? You would see only a picture .... :P

Are there screenshots that show DVBViewer without any frames or borders?
look at my signature My flashanimated DVBViewer have nearly the same feeling like the actual without skins ... etc.

BTW. What would you see without Frames and Borders? You would see only a picture .... ;)

@Klausing

Nice demo. :-)

To make clear what I mean (windowless and borderless)

a ) http://www.DVBViewer.com/images/main.jpg

b ) http://www.DVBViewer.com/images/mainskin.jpg

c ) http://www.sceneo.de/images/TVcentral/TVce...l_screen1_g.jpg

d ) http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/gallery/mce11.jpg

a ) undesired - windows look, mouse needed

b ) nicer - similar to media player, but still a bit pc style

c+d ) "best" - no borders, no windows-look, fully remote controlable.

Can I get DVBViewer to look like c+d ?

Sorry for mentioning the other products... :P

Regards,

MrG

Guest Lars_MQ

The fullscreen mode means, no border, no titlebar, no menu .... it's like when you press ALT-Enter in mediaportal (but our fullscreen is way faster visible ;) and the DVBViewer won't crash while doing this unlike mediaportal :P ).

You have a OSD which is accessible with keyboard OR remote control.

@MrG

Actually EPG data are limited to the "good will" of the senders; in the best case you can have 1 full day of EPG (like on some channel on Astra), normally only the actual and the next event... but these is not DVBViewer fault, is simply all what we can obtain from the sat...

The DVBViewer Timeline implementation is IMHO one of the clearest I've ever seen, although it is only to its first steps... you can have it in a "hated" windows or in a magnificient OSD, remote driven... :P;)

A plug-in for download MHW info from sat (=the EPG for an entire bouquet and normally for the actual and the next six days...) whould have to be near to be released ;) , thus eliminating the need to download xmltv file from Internet (maybe also with an "export to xmltv" function... but this is anoter hisory...)

Cheers all

Gioxy

in the best case you can have 1 full day of EPG

Many German TV channels provide several days. I haven't seen such an extensive EPG from other European TV stations on Astra yet, however.

You need a license to play DRMed WMAs. The procedure is quite simple - just send some papers to Microsoft ;)

@DAvenger

That is to say, that M$ wants SW developers to pay royalties to use their Digital Rights Management? If it required some kind of license agreement only I would of course understand. Thats the usual policy. :huh:

So, is the answer "no"?

And if it is "no" - how are the chances to turn it into a "yes" one day? B)

DRM is coming. That is quite sure.

And my opinion is: It is ok to pay for music - as it is ok to pay for sw. :unsure:

It would just be a pitty if I could not play back the DRMed music I bought with DVBViewer / RADLIGHT. :radscorpion:

Regards,

MrG

Guest DAvenger

The only costs associated with this process are 1. online certificate (approx. $300/year) and 2. postal fee.

I had the papers on my desk for quite a long time but didn't find the time to send it to Bill :unsure: So the answer is definitely "yes" (at least for RadLight, but I can help Christian to get it done :radscorpion:)