No recording logs for TS files like MPG files? :(

antdude

You should get a log for MPG (program stream) and TS (transport stream) recordings, but not for timeshift files. "TS file" usually doesn't mean "timeshift file".

Hmm. I always thought *.ts were timeshift. Bummer, no logging for *.ts files like *.mpg. Is there a reason why? :(

Of course there is logging for *.ts recordings, if you choose *.ts as recording format (see recorder options). But not for timeshift files.Basically timeshift is a playback facility. It's not supposed to be used for regular recording.

BTW: You may also use recordings for timeshifted playback, because DVBViewer is able to play files while they are recorded. Though recording and timeshift are similar from a technical point of view and share some characteristics, they are designed for different usage. That's what you have to understand.

Of course there is logging for *.ts recordings, if you choose *.ts as recording format (see recorder options). But not for timeshift files.Basically timeshift is a playback facility. It's not supposed to be used for regular recording.

BTW: You may also use recordings for timeshifted playback, because DVBViewer is able to play files while they are recorded. Though recording and timeshift are similar from a technical point of view and share some characteristics, they are designed for different usage. That's what you have to understand.

I use timeshift/TS all the time when I am at the computer to pause, skip/fast forward (FF), etc. right away like a DVR. MPG is annoying since I have to load the video file into DVBViewer Pro. Or maybe I am doing this all wrong for years? What else is different between both formats?

The detailed logs are nice and useful especially if there are errors. So, there's no way to add logging for *.TS timeshift files for future?

So, there's no way to add logging for *.TS timeshift files for future?

Is there a way to make timeshift use .mpg instead of .ts?

Not in DVBViewer Pro. It's all provided by DVBViewer GE (see members area, read the ReadMe). DVBViewer GE follows a different timeshift / recording concept. Unlike DVBViewer Pro timeshift files are created by the recorder engine. In fact they are full-fledged recordings, including log file, format selection etc. The only difference is a flag indicating a temporary file that is automatically deleted as soon as you switch over to another channel. This flag can be toggled at any time, thus turning a timeshift file into a persistent recording and vice versa. All ongoing recordings, no matter if flagged as temporary file or not, enable timeshifted viewing of the according channel.

However, there is no English manual for DVBViewer GE. And it has not been tested in an ATSC environment yet, as far as I know. ATSC captions are supported (even with transparent background in the VMR/EVR rendering modes, use the Options -> EPG & Teletext -> VMR/EVR subtitle transparency slider), but no ATSC EPG.

Try and find out if it is usable for you...

• Like 1

Not in DVBViewer Pro. It's all provided by DVBViewer GE (see members area, read the ReadMe). DVBViewer GE follows a different timeshift / recording concept. Unlike DVBViewer Pro timeshift files are created by the recording engine. In fact they are full-fledged recordings, including log file, format selection etc. The only difference is a flag indicating a temporary file that is automatically deleted as soon as you switch over to another channel. This flag can be toggled at any time, thus turning a timeshift file into a persistent recording and vice versa. All ongoing recordings, no matter if flagged as temporary file or not, enable timeshifted viewing of the according channel.

However, there is no English manual for DVBViewer GE. And it has not been tested in an ATSC environment yet, as far as I know. ATSC captions are supported (even with transparent background in the VMR/EVR rendering modes, use the Options -> EPG & Teletext -> VMR/EVR subtitle transparency slider), but no ATSC EPG.

Try and find out if it is usable for you...

Interesting. I thought GE was part of DVBViewer Pro. Sheesh. Also, there's TE that came with my old Air2PC HDTV tuner cards from 2005.

As for that ATSC captions require v5 and not in v4.9.6.20. I don't think I can use VMR/EVR due to my ancient updated Windows XP Pro. SP3, ATI Radeon 4870 video card, and its v9.4 driver (can't use the newer ones due to DVI time slow downs and random rare hard lock ups).

I don't think I can use VMR/EVR due to my ancient updated Windows XP Pro.

I can use it here with DVBViewer GE in my PC (8 years old, NVidia graphics card puchased in 2002, XP Home). DVBViewer GE doesn't require much particularly because the OSD doesn't use the graphics card capabilities so extensively. DVBViewer Pro crashes here badly with VMR9, DVBViewer GE doesn't. Just try...

• Like 1

I can use it here with DVBViewer GE in my PC (8 years old, NVidia graphics card puchased in 2002, XP Home). DVBViewer GE doesn't require much particularly because the OSD doesn't use the graphics card capabilities so extensively. DVBViewer Pro crashes here badly with VMR9, DVBViewer GE doesn't. Just try...

Do I assume it won't affect my Pro. and TE installations? If so, then I will give it a spin later on. I will download it now and then sleep. ;)

Edited by antdude