TBS 6920 & TM-2300 Motor - Wont Move Motor when Changing Channel

dmm1000

Hi Folks

I have a problem here with Diseqc

Using DVBViewer 5.2.8 using a TBS 6920 PCI express Card - Recording Service 1.27

Windows 7 64 bit

Only goto preset position and angular position options in Transedit are working

however when i set up the channel list i have problems - the motor will not move at all when i choose channels

that is i set up 2 separate channel lists for example for 5 west and 8 west - and i set the channel root node of

each respective satellite position or angular position - but it wont move the dish - i am frustrated

because i know the tbs 6920 card has the capabilities to move on a channel change

- i have proven this by getting it working in Dvbdream software - for example i set USALS option

in dvbdream and it will move the dish to the correct satellite postion - and change the channel for me

I have even set up extended with a delay of 300 ms and then tried both goto preset and goto angular

options in the channel editor but it wont work - while also remembering to set them up as extended using same options

in transedit for the tested satellite positions

So to summarize everything works fine in transedit - but whyen i setup in DVBViewer channel editor i cannot get the motor to move to a different satellite position when i change channel

can you help ? - i can send any config files that you need

thank you

Don

apologies - here is my support.zip

support.zip

motherboard i have is Asus F-1A75M (built in onboard AMD graphics)

TBS BDA driver 21/12/2011 version 1.0.5.1

I just cannot understand why it will move the dish on "move to preset" option works ok in Transedit

and then doesnt work in the DVBViewer program

I presume the same program code that is executed when pressing the "goto preset" button in Transedit is the same (or similar) code that is executed when a channel is changed in DVBViewer (on a different satellite) ?

I am not an experienced programmer - but just a thought - if different code is used when a user chooses a channel on a different satellite position could there be a bug in the the "goto preset option" code that DVBViewer executes on channel change on different sat?

I am puzzled because i feel i have set everything up ok - but it is quite possible i have missed something important

be interested to hear from other TBS 6920 card holders who are using motors - have they got dish move on channel change to work ?

DVBViewer is a fabulous piece of software - if i could achieve this I would be able to use all functionality of the software

thanks

Don

Edited by dmm1000

You seem to have the tuner enabled in the Hardware Settings of both DVBViewer Pro and Recording Service. This conflict should be resolved.

You should refer to the RS Installation Guide in the wiki for full instructions on how to set this up. Basically, the D.Pro client needs a Unicast/RTSP tuner that links to the RS-controlled hardware. Disable the D.Pro tuner and create a satellite Unicast tuner with settings as described in the wiki. You would use the loopback address 127.0.0.1 for a server on the same PC.

thanks Qbox - yes you were correct - i reinstalled the recording service - on the PC with tuner card - & re-read the wiki / instructions and set it up as client / server correctly (pc with tuner card being setup as client (rtsp) using recording service wizard

so yes there was quite a big mistake - hardware tuner configured twice - but i never realised as everything - well almost everything was working

heres the bad news - the problem still remains - ok in transedit but not in DVBViewer (:

- it will not move the motor on a channel change after carefully going thru transedit and DVBViewer channel editor settings for diseqc (preset pos / angular options etc)

Is there anyone out there - development team members / or other users with a TBS 6920 card who uses a dish motor - any dish motor - and has got it to move on channel change ?

after my modification ( rtsp client / RS reinstall) i have attached the new support.zip after my changes - maybe someone can spot something ? - i'm not sure what else to try ? Help ? :original:

support_2.zip

Edited by dmm1000

Does it work in TransEdit when you scan or analyze a transponder? Or did you only try the positioner console up to now?

hi Griga

yes when i am on 8 west for example and go into transedit - analyze and a scan both give results as expected - just tried it now

one thing i did notice yesterday when running the recording service wizard on the server (which is also the client) pc was that the wizard found 2 recording service instances - they were both exactly the same - i just picked the top one - i'm not sure why there were 2 - wonder could that be a problem ?

Edited by dmm1000

I am still curious to hear the developers thoughts - again i put forward the theory

The code routines used in Transedit positioner to move to angular / preset options - works fine for me with my setup

In both DVBViewer (on channel change) and Transedit (goto preset / angular) do the developers execute the same program code to move a dish ? - personally i would think so - might be an idea to check both Transedit (goto preset / angular) and DVBViewer code (move on channel change) and confirm ?.

this is what is bugging me ...... I feel the working code that is used in Transedit should be also used in DVBViewer - and i believe somehow it is not - and that possibly there is a slight but crucial bug - but again i'd need experiences of other users of the TBS 6920

to prove or disprove that

I know its difficult to test with every card etc and i know it is time consuming - but i'm willing to post my TBS 6920 to Germany if you guys wanted to test my issue with it - running out of ideas here - thanks for help so far :original:

Edited by dmm1000

Seems there is something wrong with your TBS hardware / driver installation. Here is the relevant part for hardware detection from the [Hardware] section of the fileTransEdit.ini (see ID.0 entry):

pci#ven_14f1&dev_8852&subsys_00000000

For a TBS 6920 it should be subsys_88886920

The same fault can be found in the hardware.xml (DVBViewer Pro) and svchardware.xml (Recording Service). Hard to say what went wrong and why it went wrong. Maybe a TBS bug, dunno... please check in the Windows Device Manager if you can find the same or a different subsys value there.

This fault prevents DVBViewer Pro and the Recording Service from detecting your card as TBS and from applying the appropriate DiSEqC method. Surprisingly TransEdit detected it correctly as TBS, and I can't figure out why. It should have failed as well :iiam:

In the [Hardware] section of the TransEdit.ini you can find the entry

Vendor.0=13

13 stands for TBS. However, the hardware.xml and svchardware.xml both contain

<entry name="Vendor">0</entry>

0 means unknown vendor resp. manufacturer. You can correct it manually by closing DVBViewer and stopping the Recording Service, opening the XML files with a text editor and replacing 0 by the correct value 13. After restarting the Recording Service and relaunching DVBViewer Pro it should work.

The interesting question is what caused subsys_00000000 on your PC, though.

I have a TBS USB receiver. It has worked successfully with a motor, though I have also had problems with the dish refusing to move. Unfortunately, the motor hasn't been in service for a while but I'll try to remember what the problems were.

In TransEdit, I found the dish wouldn't move (on changing satellite) unless the Positioner Console was open at the same time (not necessarily in focus). Griga explained this - I think the tuner might have powered off when not in use. The occasional lack of movement while in D.Pro I put down to my having an A/B switch before the tuner, to allow another receiver access to the motor - again, the problem could have been a lack of power to the motor. I wondered if the application failed to send a motor command if it thought the transponder still on the same satellite as before, but the log suggested the motor command was always sent.

svcdebug.log shows the tuning process, which (to my non-expert eye) looks OK here:

08.10.13 23:13:46.298 TBDADevice SetTuner TType: 1, <<snip>> DiseqC: 8, <<snip>> DiseqCVal: 3550 <<snip>>

That would be a "Goto Angular Pos." command.

Not so sure about this one, though:

08.10.13 23:14:14.193 TRTSPUDPClient SetTuner TType: 1, <<snip>>DiseqC: 7, <<snip>> DiseqCVal: 0, <<snip>>

I don't know what the difference is between the TBDADevice and TRTSUDPClient, but that looks like a Goto Position command with a zero value.

I notice that TransEdit has identified the Vendor type as 13, but RS has it as 0 (unidentified?). Maybe Griga could comment on that [Ah, I see he just did!], or you could try manually editing the svchardware.xml file. TE may be a bit ahead of D.Pro in hardware compatibility.

thanks guys

i have deleted the driver and reinstalled it - after a reboot it now shows the correct subsys as 88886920 etc - you'll see it in the relevant files in attached new support.zip

my whole installation looks a lot cleaner now and more correct - still not working but thanks to you guys things are being properly installed

dvbdream still working in all aspects as before - so havent made things worse

although it still doesnt work i thinking we're eradicating the mistakes errors in my setup

i'll go and reset the positions in transedit - then in channel editor -i'll set all the sat channel groups to preset position and try them - then i'll set all sat channel groups to angular position and see if that works

i've only reinstalled the driver - now the question is would it be worth removing and reinstalling / DVBv Pro / TRansedit / The Rec Service ?

meanwhile latest support.zip attached after driver reinstall

support_3.zip

going from bad top worse

after reboot driver has disappeeared and multimedia controller shows with problem in device manager - it seems to thinks its multimedia device as opposed to sound video and game controller like it should

tbs drivers now wont install - .exe install file runs ok no error message buit still after reboot it shows nmultimedia controller as unknown in device manager

same for when i try to direct the multimedia controller to actual folders with driver - cannot install error message

cannot get it to show as sound video and game controllers like it should

thinking up buying another card fed up with crap tbs drivers - absolute rubbish

anyone recommend a good card that shouild be able to move a tm-2300 motor on its own without a positioner - this card did it but now i cannot get the drivers installed not sure what to do - anyone know quick tip to get drivers installed so it sho3ws up instead under sound video and game controllers ?

keeps showing unknown multimedia controller which wont accept drivers - close to giving up and buying another card :) apologies spelling typing v fast :)

I would suggest System Restore to when device was working.

Did you try the TBS forum? Response is a bit slower there, but you might find something in previous posts. e.g.

http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=431

I spotted this in latest support file - don't know if it's of help.

hardware.xml

<entry name="AutoLNBOff">1</entry>
<entry name="Name">TBS 6920 BDA DVBS/S2 Tuner/Demod</entry>
<entry name="TunerType">1</entry>
<entry name="Status">1</entry>

Device still enabled in D.Pro?

thanks Qbox that works fine - but i cannot update the driver as it it think it is up to date - but as we know from this discussion it is showing the wrong subsys so i want to reinstall the driver - so i uninstalled it and

i removed it again but it is still showing as "multimedia controller" when i rescan for "hardware changes" - i cannot install it as a "legacy device from the device manager menu because a "TBS" entry ids not on the device list - really rubbish drivers they have produced i will post on their forum but again slow / no responses

i know i did some hack on an inf file once or some clever hack i found via google that allowed the device it to show up as "sound video and game controller " category in device manager (as it should) - but i cannot remember what i did :(

meantime which would be a best card to buy - technisat or technotrend that would drive a motor easily and have no driver problem ? :)

hi guys

just an update - I definitely suspect motherboard PCIe slot which was proven as best i can by installing a fresh copy of Windows 8 on the problem PC

- first thing i did installed card and drivers - they installed immediately - but right after first reboot they were gone from "sound video and game controllers" and the "multimedia controller" icon with yellow question mark remains.

so went to old PC - installed card fine on windows 8 - no problems - am now setting up a couple of sat positions to test positioning of motor etc - will try to remember to update you all later

P.S TBS guys were surprisingly helpful in one to one emails - didnt post on forum - one guy steven even sent me a new driver to test with as he said the hardware signature was "out of date" - but it still didnt fix the problem on what i suspect is the faulty motherboard pcie slot

thanks