VHS recording?

stenovitz

Hi there

(Sorry for my english, my written german is too rusty, however I read german well, so answers in german are perfectly allright with me)

I have a Terratec DVB-C PCI-card of which I've been using together with DVBViewer Pro for years to receive TV broadcastings. For my TV-channel scan I just choose my TV-provider and scan through the full spectre. This have worked perfectly for me through the years.

Now I want to digitalize a bunch of older VHS tapes. I'm using an elderly VHS-recorder, which still works (tested directly connected to my television). I'm using co-ax cable to my DVB-C PCI Card, just as from my TV Cable provider. But when I use DVBViewer I don't know how and which channel/frequenzy to scan. I've tried a few things but do not receive a picture even though my VHS-recorder is playing.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Oh thanks. Of course, it's a MPEG-4 decoder, I did not have that in mind.

As I remember, I still have an older Hauppauge MCE-500 with 2 MPEG-2 decoders, that should work, alright?

I remember using BeyondTV by that time, but that was far from optimal. Mayby a stupid question, but is it anyhow possible to use DVBViewer as software for a MPEG-2 decoder?

Hello,

a mpeg2Encoder alone won't do it. You need a analog Hardware too.

I think your TerraTec DVB-C is only for DigitalVideoBroadcast (Cable). The Signal of your VHS-Videorecorder is analog.

So you need either as Derrick stated a grabber or a Hybrid TV-Card. You can find Hybrid USB-Sticks from TerraTec or Hauppauge that support DVB-T (some DVB-C too) and analog TV (look here for 'Hybrid': http://de.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Unterst%C3%BCtzte_Hardware). These sticks come with a Cinch - Mini-USB -Cable for AV-Input. With the Software of these sticks you can digitalise old VHS-Cassettes too, but not with DVBViewer. DVBViewer is only for Digital Video Broadcast Viewing (DVBViewer). DVBViewer supports this Hybrid DVB-T Stick only for DVB-T (or DVB-C).

You can look at the Websites of TerraTec or Hauppauge too or at Google, Amazon or www.pearl.de

Da das Posting auch in der deutschen Einsteiger-Abteilung steht, noch einmal in deutsch:

Ein mpeg2Encoder allein dürfte nicht ausreichen. Man benötigt auch eine Hardware für analoges TV.

Ich glaube, daß der TerraTec DVB-C Empfänger nur digitales Fernsehen empfangen kann. Das Ausgangssignal des VHS-Videorekorders ist dagegen analog.

Wie Derrick schon richtig bemerkt hat, benötigt man zum digitalisieren einen Grabber oder eine Hybrid TV-Karte. Es gibt von TerraTec Hauppauge und anderen Herstellern Hybrid USB-Sticks zum Empfang von DVB-T (manche auch DVB-C) und analogem TV (vgl. http://de.DVBViewer.tv/wiki/Unterst%C3%BCtzte_Hardware Suche nach "Hybrid"). Diesen Sticks liegt ein Kabeladapter mit Cinch-Kupplungen bei, mit dem man den TV-Stick mit dem Ausgang eines analogen Gerätes verbinden kann. Mit der mitgelieferten Software kann man dann das Ausgangssignal eines Videorekorders wie einen analogen TV-Sender aufnehmen. Diese Sticks funktionieren also zusätzlich als Grabber. Am DVBViewer funktionieren sie in der Regel auch aber nur fürs digitale Fernsehen, denn der DVBViewer ist nur fürs Digitale Fernsehen konstruiert (DVBViewer!).

Nach solchen Hybrid-Sticks kann man auf den Webseiten von TerraTec, Hauppauge, bei Google, Amazon oder auch bei www.pearl.de suchen.

Many Greetings

Webturtle

Edited by Webturtle

Sorry, of course I ment my Hauppauge MCE 500 MPEG-2 EnCoder. This old device I have used years ago alså for digitalization of VHS Recordings but without proper quality result.

So my hope was to use my newer Terratec Cinergy-C Encoder, so I thought it was a DVBViewer issue and forgot that it is a purely digital device.

Sorry for the confusion.

In the meantime I've tried to install my Hauppauge MCE 500 at my new system, but sadly it wouldn't work with my Win7 64bit system with 8 gigs of ram. And this seems to be a general problem: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43530 :wassat:

So I think I'd have to invest in some new hardware.

This is not exactly what I've hoped for, but I appreciate all the suggestions and advices. Thanks.

Hallo,

@Tjod: Dieses Posting wurde zweimal in der Ordnerübersicht der Forumsstartseite angezeigt: Einmal in der deutschen (!) und einmal in der englischen Einsteigersektion. Daher auch einmal der deutsche Text!

Wieso das der Fall war, weiß ich nicht.

Viele Grüße

Webturtle

Edited by Webturtle

I moved the Topic from "Einsteigerfragen DVBViewer Pro/GE" to "Newbies DVBViewer Pro/GE".

An at this point you post where only in English.

But just for the future. If a topic contains only English posts it will be moved to the English section.

So don't post in German there.