Daddo Player suggestions

hackbart

When i completed the tests. Right now there are a few smaller issues with the menu which is designed more for ios and i found a few performance killer in Firemonkey which i have to patch, but it is feature complete so lets see :) i keep you informed.

The Android build will follow soon, but to be honest i want to make it right and not to clone the ios build 1:1. The way android behaves is slightly different from iOS, but the good thing is it runs like intended. Today i played about 10 hours of radio on my Nexus7 while working and even the network disconnects were catched properly.

I hope to add more tv stations, but right now it is a chicken egg problem. So the more users we get, the higher the chances will be to add premium services.

I've just tried it on my iPad, so thanks for an interesting application.

There is certainly a lot of channels to choose from. But relying on internet to watch TV is not an alternative in many cases. I was watching BBC yesterday and today the stream does not start. :mad:

I think there is an issue with special characters used in many languages, see attached file. Similar problems with other local characters such as å ä and ö.

post-5516-0-20507300-1399539702_thumb.jpg

Several station transmit the events as utf8 encoded, some does not. I am aware that tv streams wont work from time to time, but we do not provide content, we list just the stations we are able to offer.

do you planning Windows phone 8 & Windows 8 / 8.1 (tablets) version? Or you are ignorant for this platforms? Im Windows phone user.

If Firemonkey will support winrt i will create a port. By the way the android version will be able to select the radio stations by selecting a city on a map, the ios update will also be able too. Quite a cool and fun thing to select a radio station.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm i will check the reports once google provides them. I will send you both a pm with a debug version if i don't find the reason for it. It takes about 3-4 seconds after the splash screen appears till the application is loaded. You do have a running internet connection? Does the sat>ip alignment tool do have the same behaviour?

By default LastFM will be loaded at the first time, i will change this to the internal database instead. To avoid possible issues with lack internet connections, especially since the player itself does not need internet for example if you use UPNP.

After the spash screen the menu appears. If "click" any of the menu items nothing happens. After approximately 10 seconds a message appears: "Daddo reagiert nicht. Möchten Sie die App schließen?" Internet works. I also restartet the Tablett. I had problems with that sat>ip alignment tool in the beginning which could have been my fault as well. But after an update it works as it should, anyway.

I will upload a new version later this day or tomorrow after testing. I have a pretty good idea for the reason. LautFM is used as first service and it took a while to load, even if the loader is in a separate thread the delay is the reason for the message on startup. So i load the local database instead.

I've published an update. The local database is used on start up instead of trying to load an online database. I also removed the create shortcut on startup function.

I uninstalled the app and installed it again from play store. But it didn't change anything. The App still crashes. How can i be sure that i installed the latest version?

Now I installed 1.1.0. But the problem remains. What I found out was that with enabled Wifi the player was unable to download any channels. I had to disable wifi and immediately the channels appear on the left side. After enabling wifi i am able to browse through the channels and play them back. This sounds very strange but it is absolutaly reproducable on my device.

i still did not got any debug log from google yet, but i'm confident that there are only two possible reasons. Can you try the following? Disable Wifi and under options (inside the daddo player) disable the UPNP reception. Then close the application and enable Wifi.

You mean UPnP in the Daddo Player. (Options = Einstellungen). I disabled Wifi started the player, disabled UPnP, closed the App enabled Wifi again and started the player. But then UPnP was no more in the "0" position. So the player didn't save the adjustement.

The reason for asking is that i suppose one of the upnp servers might cause this problem. While developing the Sat>IP application for Android i figured out that using the low level api instead of java can cause quite weird problems which do not appear on other *nix systems.

This is confusing! When i exit the options with the Android "back Arrow" the setting was finally saved! Then the problem is solved! So it was the UPnP setting.

Edited by avdreith
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Just installed v1.2.0. Same problems as before:

1. App hangs on intro screen when WLAN is active when the app is started.

2. When returning from settings screen (no changes made in setup), the app hangs again on the intro screen.

HW: Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3

Hmm, i tested it here with two devices (Huawei and Nexus) and it works fine in both modes (Mobile and WLAN). The app itself does not require internet until you select one of those online databases.

Are you sure that you use the latest version (1.2.0)? And does it help if you disable the UPNP services in the options?

I just de-installed and re-installed v1.2.0 and now things seem to work. I tested some video and radio stations and everything played fine. There seems to be a problem with UPnP/DLNA but that needs to be tested later because I'm on the road right now. I noticed that the UPnP activation setting is not remembered when the app is terminated. Is that working as designed?

There is another thing that puzzled me a little. When you leave the settings screen with the Android return button, the app returns to the intro screen and remains sitting there forever. I can't imagin that this is intended behaviour.

It should be saved at the end of the application. I will check this on android later this day. Funny it is saved, but not on android. I will fix this and reupload a new build later today.

By the way it would be nice if people using the software would rate it, because ratings like this make me wonder - especially since the UPNP support is just one smaller part of the featuers:

nicht sehr gut, Verschwendung von Geld nicht gut mit DVBViewer funktionieren. Es werden Aufnahmen träge und langsam. Tv meist nur Ton und kein Bild.

At least i personally do use it, mostly under ios but the android version is also really nice. Especially since you can play mpeg2 without any third party. I'm aware that we do not offer some content like USTV Now or broadcastify, but 400 tv and >20k radio stations is a real number :/

Oh by the way to be more specific 30000 radio station logos are provided by our server (~500mb data), so the ammount of unique radio stations is about 40000 which is quite a lot and we do have 631 video broadcasts listed (via the online and offline database).

Hello,

it works on Huawei but on Samsung Galaxy Tab3 and Samsung Galaxy Ace Smartphone the app (v1.2.1) is hanging which means

I only see a black screen and settings are not accessible (does not matter if WLAN is on or off).

Kind regards

hoto44

Do you see the loading screen and just for the record does the same issue appear if you start the sat>ip alignment tool? I use for both applications similar code bases (especially for UPNP/Sat>IP).

Hello,

facing the same issue with the sat>ip alignment tool on my Samsung devices (black Screen and nothing is happening at all).

Kind regards

hoto

Hmm i never thought about that because iOS might be too restricted to, but you are right in theory we could create a DLNA/UPNP Mediaserver application based on the code already embedded in the recordingservice. If you ask about the capability to be a UPNP/DLNA client the application does this. I also do not have a ffmpeg stack inside, which means you can only play files supported by the hardware.

Anyhow the idea was to offer playback for Radio and TV Broadcasts. And thats it why i use it, even if you can watch Livestreams provided by the Recordingservice it is not the main focus.

• 2 months later...

Hi Christian!

Yesterday i bought the Daddo Player and installed it on my two devices; an old Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 and an Asus TF700T Tablet (both on Android Custom Roms with JellyBean OS 4.3.x).

The radio-part is quite nice and well designed. It only takes a few seconds and (for example) your - well known - local station gives you its beats... :punk:

The thing that bothers me is the TV-part. Since i use VinoRossos app for streaming local SAT>IP-channels from DVBViewer/RS, i´m in no hurry for that use inside your app. But the worldwide stations (ustvnow) and iLive don´t work so well either. ustvnow won´t give me a picture (i´m a customer and with xbmc it´s working flawless) although i put my email/pw in place. The iLive channels work mostly but the video isn´t scaled so it looks like poststamps both on my tablet and my smartphone.

Am i missing something? I couldn´t see any settings regarding the video. Do i have to install something additional? Any tips would be appreciated!

Hi,

well actually there seem to be a common misunderstanding in the app. As i said the main idea was to offer a radio and tv stream database/player. I wanted to integrate services like USTVNow, Futubox and regular TV stations in order to have them for my own in one application easily to play while for instance having workout in the gym :) As we made through the years also upnp clients and server code i thought it might be nice to allow playback of upnp/dlna services inside the application. I was aware that this does not work with all streams since i use the media playback capabilities of the devices. And it work your nicely with H264+AAC on iOS Platforms and even Mpeg2 Audio/Video on a bunch of Android devices.

I am working on a ffmpeg based playback engine which does the decoding for all kind of formats and it runs nicely on Mac, Android, iOS and Windows without changing a line of code:

Screenshot_2014-08-27-20-24-30.jpeg

Unluckily at this time the image conversion (from YUV to RGB) is done in software and this is extremely slow - especially for HD streams. So i have to find a gpu shader based solution instead. Right now i got stuck with the YUV conversion via GPU shader. Not sure if i find time to fix that.