Channel list of URLs?

JoeH

I recently got a Hauppauge Colossus. As DVBViewer does not have native support for it, I am using WinTV Extend to watch the video in a web browser.

With WinTV extend, I can open a URL such as the following to open channel 201:

http://localhost:7799/stream?channel=201

This works very well in DVBViewer, using the option "Open URL", and the recordings also work wonderfully in DVBViewer - apparently just as well as if there were native support.

What I would like to do is to be able to create "channels" in the channel list that point to URL's. That way I could easily integrate the Colossus into DVBViewer. Is this possible? I don't mind modifying the XML files / Transedit, etc., if need be.

I would really like to be able to continue using DVBViewer if possible (I use the Recording Service), and if I could just assign a channel to each URL, I could easily integrate all the channels with their EPG data, program recordings, etc.

If it is not yet possible, please consider allowing a URL to be a channel type. Thanks.

Edited by JoeH

You might want to give DVBViewer GE a try. Since version 3.5 it supports internet radio streams and therefore URLs in the channel list.

Internet video streams are also supported, but that part should be considered somewhat experimental.

DVBViewer GE can be downloaded from the members area (where you get DVBViewer Pro) and is free to all registered DVBViewer users. Please read the ReadMe for installation advice. The (excellent) manual is only available in German, but Google Translate does a half decent job.

I would suggest to get internet radio working before you tackle the Hauppauge Colossus streams, but theoretically drag-n-drop'ing the URL into the channel list might be all you need to do.

And, to answer the obvious question: Yes, there are plans to implement this feature in DVBViewer Pro, but (because it's a far more complex piece of software) no guarantees when - and indeed whether - this will happen.

Thanks. I gave it a try. DVBViewer GE works great for viewing and for creating the channel list.

All the "record" options are greyed out, however, when using a Stream channel, and in the Scheduler, the stream channels do not appear (although the folders do appear, just that no channels are displayed inside them).

Glad to know it's planned for future versions! Thanks for a great product.

All the "record" options are greyed out, however, when using a Stream channel..

Glad to know it's planned for future versions! Thanks for a great product.

..only if a stream can easily be transformed into a Transport Stream (TS) there's is a chance. I doubt that this will be possible from HDMI-grabbing ;) But this device can record from the different sources.

• 1 month later...