How to do the shutdown after finishing recording because it does not s

MGadAllah

Hi,

Please I would like to ask for your help and would like to know what to do to solve this problem.

I set the recorder timer to shutdown the computer after the recording finished.

But I am afraid it does not shut down the computer and give me this screen.

post-145140-0-45919100-1405869732_thumb.png

So please advise and help me for what to do to completely shut down the computer as soon as the recording finished.

I want shutdown to be done without any user interaction because no one will be set to the computer at this moment to hit any key in the key board.

Thanks

Edited by MGadAllah

Just close the DVBViewer..

I do understand that but as I mentioned no one will be setting to the computer to do the shutdown manually and I do need to close it.

As I mentioned in another thread that I am using Dell GX620 as a recorder client and access it remotely using windows remote desktop and transfer recorded files using ftp.

But because I am recording all day long the full stream and 5 or 6 channels for this transponder streaming.

So I would like to give the Dell GX620 computer some time to rest before recording the streaming once again.

So I want to do the shut down as soon as the recording finished.

Because I am connected remotely because no one will be setting to the computer at this time which lead to keep running for several days and the computer is over loaded.

That is why I am asking about shutdown.

Thanks a lot

You can choose here what DVBViewer shall do after recording.

That is what I did exactly my friend but it gives me the screen I've attached in my 1st post above.

But it does not do the shut down directly.

Edited by MGadAllah

My DVBViewer does close a few seconds after that screen that you attached. If I don´t cancel.

It does not and monitor the computer for about 15 minutes after this screen appear but no shutdown at all.

What is your windows operating system?

mine 8.1 pro 32x

You should use Recording Service. It run as a service, so when no activity, the PC goes to sleep (if you have confiured this in Power Settings in Control Panel). Then Recording Service wakes up the PC when Next Recording should begin. Another advantage is that you can use the build in web page with EPG, where you can make your timers, from anywhere in the World

You should use Recording Service. It run as a service, so when no activity, the PC goes to sleep (if you have confiured this in Power Settings in Control Panel). Then Recording Service wakes up the PC when Next Recording should begin. Another advantage is that you can use the build in web page with EPG, where you can make your timers, from anywhere in the World

Here is the exact situation so you can better help me.

I've two computers, one is the one I am using for recording which is Dell GX620, and the other computer is i7 2600k I am using to do the edit and encoding.

Both computers are not in the same room, which means the dell gx620 is in the lab room and the other one is in my office in another room.

Both computers are connected using local network home group and I am accessing the recorded files on the dell gx620 using ftp and transfer them all after finishing recording to the computer I am using for editing and encoding files.

Because I am not in the lab all the time and the lab itself is not open all the time and I can not go there all the time

(sorry to bother you with this details but this is the real situation, the lab is only accessed by one guy and he is not allowing anyone to go there and I suffered a lot till I placed the dell computer in the lab because it is not allowed to place the dell computer in my office. so I need the dell computer to do the recording then stop recording then do a restart and after 5 or 10 minutes as a rest to restart once again and start recording once again).

So please tell me where exactly to setup the recording service? in the dell computer or in the computer i am using for edit and encode the files i7 2600k.

That is my current situation.

Use Recording Service on Dell computer. You don't need to use FTP to transfer the files. Just share the recording folder on Dell computer. Then you connect to this share from your Office PC. You could then use a very good Tool from Microsoft to sync the files. It is called SyncToy. It is very old, but it Works perfectly, and it is free. You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

If you don't know how to configure Recording Service, i have made (long time ago) a quick guide:

On the server:

1. Install DVBViewer, configure it, scan channels, make shure everything works.

2. Install Recording Service

3. In DVBViewer go to Settings>Options>Hardware and select Do not use in State section for Tuners you want to share

4. Select Start>All Programs>DVBViewer>DVBViewer Recording Service>Service Options

5. Write down the port numbers for Unicast Interface, and Control Server. Mine is 3456 and 4022

6. Tick Activate Autdiscovery, write down portnumber, usualy 600

7. In Web Settings write Username and Password

On the Client

1. Install DVBViewer.Do not install any tuners in the Setup phase

2. In DVBViewer go to Settings>Options>Hardware. Clik the + button. select the number of Unicast tuners (the number of Tuners you have shared on the server)

3. Select Normal in State for every Device

4. For each device: Click Settings. In DVB Control Server write the IP adress of the server (you can find it with Start>CMD>ipconfig on the server)

5. Do the same in DVB Unicast Device

6. Write the Control Server port, mine was 4022

7. Write Unicast Server port, mine was 3456

8. In Autodiscovery Server list, the name of the Server should appear

9. In Options>Recording Servicetick Enable Support for Recording Service. write the IP adress of the server and the Username and password from server (point 7 above)

10. Click Test Connection. If all is okay, the name and version of Recording Service should appear, otherwise it wil say FAILED

If everything is okay, you should now be able to scan channels on the client

If it fails, try to disable firewalls on the server

If it only works with firewall disabled, you need to open the ports mentioned above in the firewall and grant permission to DVBViewer.exe and dvbservice.exe

I use a shutdown task on the last programme of the night on my recording service, when the shutdown is enacted you'll get a user prompt like what you're seeing with a 30sec countdown, once it gets to zero then my PC shuts down.

I'd recommend using the Recording Service rather than the DVBViewer client for managing you're recording

post-29112-0-59230200-1405876880_thumb.png

Hello @MGadAllah, you've started 3 threads about your problems. The advice to install and use the recording service was already given. 2nd reminder, pls attach support.zips from your machines on which DVBV and/or RS is installed and running.

Thanks a lot for all of you.

Use Recording Service on Dell computer. You don't need to use FTP to transfer the files. Just share the recording folder on Dell computer. Then you connect to this share from your Office PC. You could then use a very good Tool from Microsoft to sync the files. It is called SyncToy. It is very old, but it Works perfectly, and it is free. You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155
If you don't know how to configure Recording Service, i have made (long time ago) a quick guide:
On the server:
1. Install DVBViewer, configure it, scan channels, make shure everything works.
2. Install Recording Service
3. In DVBViewer go to Settings>Options>Hardware and select Do not use in State section for Tuners you want to share
4. Select Start>All Programs>DVBViewer>DVBViewer Recording Service>Service Options
5. Write down the port numbers for Unicast Interface, and Control Server. Mine is 3456 and 4022
6. Tick Activate Autdiscovery, write down portnumber, usualy 600
7. In Web Settings write Username and Password

On the Client
1. Install DVBViewer.Do not install any tuners in the Setup phase
2. In DVBViewer go to Settings>Options>Hardware. Clik the + button. select the number of Unicast tuners (the number of Tuners you have shared on the server)
3. Select Normal in State for every Device
4. For each device: Click Settings. In DVB Control Server write the IP adress of the server (you can find it with Start>CMD>ipconfig on the server)
5. Do the same in DVB Unicast Device
6. Write the Control Server port, mine was 4022
7. Write Unicast Server port, mine was 3456
8. In Autodiscovery Server list, the name of the Server should appear
9. In Options>Recording Servicetick Enable Support for Recording Service. write the IP adress of the server and the Username and password from server (point 7 above)
10. Click Test Connection. If all is okay, the name and version of Recording Service should appear, otherwise it wil say FAILED
If everything is okay, you should now be able to scan channels on the client
If it fails, try to disable firewalls on the server
If it only works with firewall disabled, you need to open the ports mentioned above in the firewall and grant permission to DVBViewer.exe and dvbservice.exe

Ok, I will check this SyncToy, and I read some info about it and it looks very promising indeed.

Really appreciated a lot the guide you mentioned but please I would like to ask does the recording service will make the shut down more easier or it to control the DVBViewer Pro through web page?

I am really sorry if my question sound silly or stupid, so please accept my sincere apologize :(

In this case The Server and the Client could also be the the same machine (eg. Dell)

I will try it and feed you back.

I use a shutdown task on the last programme of the night on my recording service, when the shutdown is enacted you'll get a user prompt like what you're seeing with a 30sec countdown, once it gets to zero then my PC shuts down.

I'd recommend using the Recording Service rather than the DVBViewer client for managing you're recording

I will follow your guide and feed you back about it.

Hello @MGadAllah, you've started 3 threads about your problems. The advice to install and use the recording service was already given. 2nd reminder, pls attach support.zips from your machines on which DVBV and/or RS is installed and running.

I am sorry if it seems or sound so, but I am trying to be organized.

The threads were about different purposes (as I asked for a lot of things ;) )

1. How to do the shutdown completely after finishing recording (current one).
  2. Why many transponders and its channels do not exist after scanning the satellite.
  3. Workflow or steps to follow to facilitate steps to finish the recording and transfer files from recording client to encoding client.
  4. Setup DVBViewer Pro without internet.
  5. Codecs to use with DVBViewer Pro.
  6. Upgrading DVBViewer Pro without losing any configuration.

Yes I did started many threads, but I thought it was not repeated and different subjects.

But I promise to be very careful next time.

How can I find or generate the mentioned .zip support file?

Recording Service (RS) will not do any shutdown, or sleep. It is handled by Windows. As Recording Service is a service, it does what it need to do, and then do nothing. When RS do nothing Windows will do the what you has decided in Power Management, in Control Panel, Hibernate, Sleep, or whatever you decide.

You find the Tool to generate the support.zip here:C:\Program Files\DVBViewer

Its called supporttool.exe and it genrates a file you can find if you paste the clipboard in file manager

Don't worry about the complaints here. Germans are often very rude, don't now why

Recording Service (RS) will not do any shutdown, or sleep. It is handled by Windows. As Recording Service is a service, it does what it need to do, and then do nothing. When RS do nothing Windows will do the what you has decided in Power Management, in Control Panel, Hibernate, Sleep, or whatever you decide.

Ok, But power management in control panel does not include any shutdown option.

So please clear how the shut down will be done after finishing the recording?

Thanks

You don't need to shutdown the PC, use hibernate or sleep instead. This way your PC i still alive, and can be waked by Recording Service. The difference between the different ways is described here: http://www.howtogeek.com/102897/whats-the-difference-between-sleep-and-hibernate-in-windows/

I can't tell you what is the best. My Recording Service is running 24/365, so i don't use any sleep functions

You don't need to shutdown the PC, use hibernate or sleep instead. This way your PC i still alive, and can be waked by Recording Service. The difference between the different ways is described here: http://www.howtogeek.com/102897/whats-the-difference-between-sleep-and-hibernate-in-windows/

I can't tell you what is the best. My Recording Service is running 24/365, so i don't use any sleep functions

Actually the only need for the shutdown after the finishing recording is to give the dell gx620 machine some kind of rest so I can keep it working as long as possible.

This is the only reason to think about the shut down and nothing else.

Does keeping the machine up and running all the day and no rest at all except the few time we had an electricity cuts (something beyond our hands), does this consider ok for the good of the dell gx620 machine and its hard drive? or it does need to get some rest? or I do understand it wrongly ?

Please advise.

i.e.

Power Management in Dell GX620 bios setup, I set the computer to wakeup and start daily at 10 AM.

In DVBViewer (currently) I set the recording time from 10.05 AM till 09.55 AM next day, then I choosed shutdown for this recording timer.

So I was expecting to start the machine, and then do the recording, then finish the recording, then shut down (to get the short rest) and then restart once again and start recording once again ... etc and so on and so on.

My Recording Service machine has been running for years. I never shut it Down. The machine has 6 harddisks (15 tb), a quad internal tuner, and two external tuners. The only thing that has been broken is the external tuners. It is of course important that the Fans are working, and nothing breaks the airflow

Oh, this way no need for the shut down at all.

I've placed an external fan beside the computer itself that is beside the other default fans inside the machine itself.

I have two hard drive, one is 80 gb for operating system and another one 2 tb for recording.

I will setup the recording service and feed you back.

But do not you need to install any windows updates or do any maintenance for the hard drive like clean or defragmentation?

also how do you keep the hard drive fresh and healthy and keep it from failure ?

Thanks a lot.

I haven't done a defrag on any of my machines since Win XP/Vista, but of course you could do it if you feel more safe. As i understand, the machine is not connected to the Internet. In that situation i would turn of Automatic updates, if the machine is working perfectly. As the old Word says: If it ain't broken, don't fix it. And security patches is not needed if no one can access the machine

If you wan't to keep an eye on your computer, harddisk, temperature and so one, you could use http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Thanks for the suggestion.

This application will tell me if the hard drive is about to fail or not? so I can have some time to migrate data and change or switch the hard drive with another one.

If it is a S.M.A.R.T drive, yes it could warn you if it is has problems, but if you want to have more security, you could consider adding another harddisk, and make a Raid solution. More info here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/194360/raid-made-easy.html

No it is not s.m.a.r.t but it the green caviar western digital 2tb drive.

but using the raid is more costly for the time being budget ... if there is any tool that may warn me that would be awesome.

I did tried to goggle it but only found defragmentation tools :(

Edited by MGadAllah

I use WD green hard drives for my media recordings, good drives.

Concentrate on getting the recording service running, put the bits like sleeps/shutdowns to one side