Just Radio (+DAB)

I added DAB+ support in the Windows version, in order to see if there is any interest in this. Right now it seem to be not really used, or am i wrong?

I've seen the new tool today for the first time in the members section so how could it have been used more frequently so far? :D

since the dabradio_0.2 beta it clearly evolved, thanks!

Some comments:

• though it comes with a nice installer I did not find any start menu entry afterwards and had to navigate to the install dir to start it.
  • the gui looks quite nice but is very simple:
  • - When trying to move the narrow vertical scrollbar, several times i accidentally hit one of the station entries instead, which interrupts playback for nearly 10 seconds.
  • - Additional to nice station logos I would prefer some technical information e.g. the transmission standard (dab, dab+) and bitrate of the current station. Reception strength / signal quality is not easily and precisely to be determined, right?
  • - playback is more or less OK. After it was fine at the beginning I had some artifacts and outtimes 2 minutes ago. Now it's ok again, maybe because of reloading that station. There is no way to influence the codec any more? (can't find any settings page)
  • - the recording destination is fixed to the "my music" folder, isn't it? that folder currently still lies on my SSD system partition. If I want to change that folder to reduce SSD writes, this is not possible through the program right? Is there another workaround other than to move the music folder definition by windows?
Edited by Sherry

Yes the problem on the screenshot is caused by the *cast servers which partially send utf8 encoded content and from time to time not. For example Lounge FM (available in Austria/Germany) you get improper umlauts. I will investigate that.

I also should put some signal informations somewhere for DAB. Not sure where exactly the best place will be for this.

@Tony: Which stations do cause problems while playback - DAB or internet radio? The RT Sticks dont have a great tuner and you should use a good antenna - even if the dab sender is nearby. It took a while till i figured that out. Especially if your DAB radio repeater is only ~500m away. I never thought about the antenna until i replaced it with a better one.

The scrollbar is pretty slim, i never thought about that since on my Mac you usually use two fingers on the touchpad for scrolling and on my developer pc i use the scroll wheel from my mouse.

Yes the folder is my music. To be honest the reason is that the App was originally designed for Mac systems and according to their sandbox thing you can not store files everywhere i want. At least if you want to publish your program in their app store. The easiest way to solve this issue is to store the setting in the ini file. I added a RecordingDir entry in the config file which you could use to define the folder. What i don't want to add is a options window, since i try to keep the app as simple as possible.

Christian

PS: I added the groups inside the installer

The problem occurs with Internet stations, see justradio.ini file:

[General]
NameScheme=%date_%time_%station_%name
Volume=0.00862069055438042
[Favorites]
0=Country Radio 89.5|http://icecast2.play.cz:8000/country128aac||C:\ProgramData\CMUV\JustRadio\1049497171.png
1=Evropa 2 88.2|http://icecast3.play.cz/evropa2-128.mp3||C:\ProgramData\CMUV\JustRadio\2590793063.png
2=Radio Blaník 96.1|http://ice.abradio.cz:8000/blanikfm64.aac||C:\ProgramData\CMUV\JustRadio\2132485376.png
[History]

On the attached screenshots are simultaneously both versions Justradio, version 1.0.0.0 and version 1.0.1.0. Only version 1.0.1.0 has a problem.

Edit:

My post was named Justradio, but this one was moved from Bug Reports section...

Edited by Tony

Which stations do cause problems while playback - DAB or internet radio? The RT Sticks dont have a great tuner and you should use a good antenna - even if the dab sender is nearby. It took a while till i figured that out. Especially if your DAB radio repeater is only ~500m away. I never thought about the antenna until i replaced it with a better one.

In this case I noticed this at NDR 2 (96 kbps DAB+). I'm just ~2000 metres away from the 8-10 KW transmission station in Hanover (Telemax). However, I use an amplified room antenna for optimal reception (an old device for analog TV from around 1990 which outperformed all comparable antennas I also tested).

I just exchanged the DVB-T stick. First I used a stick with the Fitipower FC0013 tuner, my other stick has the Elonics E4000 tuner which is reported to be better (at least for SDR purposes). I have these temporal distortions on both sticks / with both tuners...

also thanks for the other comments!

caused by the *cast servers which partially send utf8 encoded content and from time to time not.

@Christian: There is an UTF-8 auto-detection function in DVBViewer Pro (see Common\uUTF8.pas)... may be useful in your app.

The DAB+ 'part' works just fine. But as with the "old" DABradio I had to replace the dll with the original dll, that came with the USB stick. (5.5 MB)

Some national characters in the station name are not displayed correctly.

post-5516-0-96738100-1406370919_thumb.jpg

I've uploaded a newer version with some additional features. I use the system function UTF8ToString provided by Delphi since the App runs on Windows and Mac. I did not tested it completely yet but so far it seem to work.

@Radioman: Could you send me the dlls you are using? I got mine a while ago from Realtek and never asked for an updated version yet.

I'm testing the application and I think it's spectacular.

It is simple and very good quality.

Simple would be missing some details:

1: turn up a little mouse scroll lines in the radios.

2: Having better quality logos radios.

3: Power set the folder where the recordings remains.

4: Having the file dictionary for the example program: Spanish in my case.

5: Make a mute button next to the volume up and down.

6: When one shrinks the program does not go the full name of the current theme, should auto fit in the box.

7: To order by numbering or name list of radios.

8: The list of cities in the case of Chile, onder goes wrong and missing some, here the list: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Ciudades_de_Chile

9: Missing some buttons on the keyboard in windows: intro and tab.

List of radio problem:

Santiago: Radio bknes not sound,

Christian Radio 77.1 fm. As I see in Google, Page radio died.

UC Radio does not sound: original problem.

Antofagasta: There are 2 FM radio OK equal.

Arica: There are 2 FM radio OK equal.

Conception: The FM does not sound conqueror.

Copiapo: 103.1 FM Okey not sound: original problem.

Coyhaique: Radio does not sound Patagonia: problem source.

La Serena: FM Okey not sound.

Rancagua: There are 2 Radio Rancagua equal.

Talca: Poetry Radio Curepto not sound: original problem.

Radio Paloma No sound: original problem.

Temuco: Radio Copihue not sound, changes the url:

Valdivia: There are 2 FM Radio Conquistador.

Valparaiso: No FM Okey in the city as the site of the radio. There are 2 Radio Valparaiso equal.

The database of the url and logos is own?

If yes? should have one form to the url and logo should change.

Here is a good list of Chilean radios:

And here you can try if you do not work:

Thanks for the suggestions. The database contains about 30k stations and besides the radio database (which is inside the application) the logos are stored on our server (~500mb). They differ extremely and you have some stations with a 512x512 pixel logo and some with 100x51 pixels which look awful. I tried to replace the logos with better one, but only for european and some american stations. I might create a function which allows the user to mark those images and allow to send me a link with a higher resolution. Or you could have a look into the settings folder (program data\cmuv\just radio\) there you will find all logos which have been received from the server as png. Just update a file and send me the png which i could upload to the server. This would save much time. Radio BKNES runs just fine here, same with the others. By the way I have a check tool running here on my development server which tunes all stations around the clock, when i'm not working. I updated the database a week ago, so they should all run fine. Keep in mind some stations have a maximum user limit. If its full the connection fails.

Several stations appear multiple times in the database, since i sorted them by city. This allows you to tune the station via map.

Ok.

Not a bad idea, The form should have to put up ulr pictures and images.
For my part, I will gather the logos of Chile.
There are some radios with the numbering of the frequencies changed.
For example: FM Caricia 104.5, is now 102.3.
Here he left you some logo in Winrar.

Logos.rar

I've made a small tool to create station logos for the database. You can drop me a mail and i will sent it to you. The idea is to select a station and drag&drop a png for this station. It is stored in a subfolder and you can sent me this folder via mail. This saves some time to upload it to the database, especially since the filenames are set correctly. The image names are calculated by the station name (some sort of semi unique crc value).

Well i can easily add a new entry for such a thing, but at the moment they are not inside the database and it would be a hell of a job to add them.

Christian

@ResidentCL: Nice job, i've updated your logos and they look really good. Since the Daddo Player uses the same database you should be able to see the updated logos also in the Android and iOS application.

Nice :thumbsup:

Now I have no money :oops: and have no card to pay at Play Store app. =( :whistle:>_<

Mail: now pack logos 2 and update 1.

Edited by Residentcl
  • 1 month later...

I installed the application but I cannot find any way to use my RTL2838UHIDI dongle.

The channel scan is greyed out and there are no settings for radio dongles.

The RTL dongle works fine with HDSDR program, can someone advise please.

• Like 1

Unfortunately Windows 7 will not let me do that, every time I uninstall the Windows driver it puts it back on every re-start.

What is the regular driver??, I only have Zadig for HDSDR application plus the Windows 7 driver.

Well thats what i meant with driver. The zadig driver is some sort of USB wrapper which allows to get data out of the device which is not supported by the regular driver. Justradio needs the regular Realtek driver for DAB radio. You might try to put the device in another usb port. Or you open the device manager, select the zadig driver, then properties and then select the driver tabsheet and press update driver. You can override the "device does not support this driver" my unchecking.

The bad side is that you have to install the zadig driver again if you want use SDR. The regular driver should be on the driver disc.

By the way, i'm quite sure that the most stations you receive via DAB are also available as stream inside the app :)

As I use the rtl dongle for HF and VHF receive I will leave things as they are. Don't want to mess about. Unfortunately the two other DAB radio applications available do not work either so I give up.

Thank you for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm trying to find the "hardware compatibility list" you once had on your site to find a DVB-T and DAB+ usb stick for DVBViewer and Just Radio.

The ones mentioned here are not available on Amazon and I can't find them elsewhere...

Which one would be the easiest to install and use? I mean because you are writing of replacing driver etc. ...

Cheers

Markus

Monty uses a special SDR driver. DVB-T sticks which based on the RTL2838U chip can be used as Software-defined radio.

http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

But the DVBViewer and JustRadio need the normal driver. If you just install the normal driver you don't need to change something.

I have the Hama Nano DVB-T (not available any more).

But if I'm right all RTL2832U based DVB-T sticks should work. Just search for RTL2832U and DVB-T.

OK! Thank you very much! The sticks that come up when I search "rtl2832u DVB-T" say this: RTL2832U+R820T. Is this ok?

What is the normal driver? The one on the CD when I buy it or shall I download the Realtek one from the Realtek site?

No need to writ big and in bolt. It feels like you are screaming. :mad:

And this id not direct a DVB-T Stick name.

This are only the name of two chips which are used to build the DVB-T stick. tuner = R820T

Hama Nano DVB-T uses RTL2832U and the E4000 tuner.

About the driver use the BDA driver from the CD or better the one form the website of the DVB-T sick manufacturer (Realtek is the chip and not the DVB-T stick manufacturer).

If the Stick is sold as SDR (Software Defined Radio) they may include SDR drivers as well. Don't install them.

If a stick is really working, can only someone tell how has exact this model.

I don't know why it was all big and bolt, I just typed in my text in reply box and the rest happend automaticaly..., I never klicked on "B" for bolt or changed to bigger letters..., sorry.

I was incorrect, I meant all Sticks that show up on Amazon after typing in "rtl2832u dvb-t" have the information of "rtl2832u + r820t" and now i know that r820t is a tuner, so it's fine, isn't it?

Then I can order such one and will write here what happened...

Thank you and hear from you soon...

Markus

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

I received my stick and installed it. The software that comes with the stick finds 74 channels.

JustRadio displays now a menu when I click on "Just Radio" / "DVB Scanner" but when I choose "EuropeTDAB" or "T-DAB LB" it finds nothing...

Is there anything I can do?

OK, I have the other software to listen but it would be nice to be able to record something with your prog but that's how it is...

Maybe with one of the next updates it will work for me too... Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

i'm glad to announce the fact that i'm currently updating the DAB(+) ability in Justradio. I know a lot people own Astrometa devices and they do not work correct with the application. Well actually now they do. I also started adding a few extras in order to support more DAB features. I do not plan to add Journaline, but Dynamic Labels will become implemented as well as recording the AAC+ streams in MP4 containers.

So far everything seem to work fine, but the code looks like a mess. I have to clean it up first, but i'm confident to publish a new build within the next 14 days :)

• Like 1

I've just tested the new version, 1.03. However the 'Scrollable labels for Station and Title labels' seems to remember the last station if I tune to different station that does not use Station title. In this example I first listened to the station on the top of the list: P3, Then I tuned to Rix FM, but the title remains from P3.

post-5516-0-56482400-1417168315_thumb.jpg