Just Radio (+DAB)

@ Christian:

these are my findings on XP Sp3:

post-485-0-98571600-1420590024_thumb.jpg

- "JustRadio uninstall" from JustRadio's start menu folder doesn't find "unins000.exe"

- v. 1.0.4.0 die just after his icon appear on the taskbar, without open any window

- the equalizator cursors are inverted and all are managing the same (high) frequency range

...good hunting!

:bye:

Edited by Gioxy
Hello, here let some problems.
Gioxy:
- "JustRadio uninstall" from JustRadio's start menu folder doesn't find "unins000.exe"
+1

Problem spectrum:

http://youtu.be/DgEmsvCjLL8

and the other is missing Uninstaller Programs and Features:

ZDzv4XN.png

Greetings and Happy New Year to all!

Edited by Residentcl

The video is not working. You are right with the uninstaller. I will check this after i fixed an issue caused by older OSX builds which are not officially supported by Embarcadero.

It was a problem of law in the audio, so it was not possible to see in the UK.

You should now see the video without problems, but no audio.

Got it, i did not found the reason for this. I have the same issue sometimes here in the past. Actually the background is drawn on 3D Quad as texture and there was somehow the wrong back site of it painted.

I've reuploaded a new binary with a fixed installer and the visualizer should also work like they should.

@Christian

Yup, uninstall and all visualizations work ok in v. 1.0.5.4 (with same cpu levels of previous v. 1.0.5.x)!

I also noticed that, even when a visualization is activated, if you shrink the window so that only the station list remain visible, the CPU level falls down to less than 5%; otherwise, when a menu is rolled down, the CPU rises to 100% and the visualization refresh falls down - on my poor Pentium M 2GHz - to ~2 frame/sec...

Anyhow the audio is always uninterrupted, and the "tuning in" speed is astonishing :)

I hope you can find the time to take a look at the equalizer, now unusable...

Keep up the good work!

:bye:

Glad to hear of new developments going on with justradio. :original:

Here is my CPU usage with

XP SP3 (32-bit)

AMD dual core 3.6GHz

no visualization

post-146830-0-60676100-1420685880_thumb. 25-30%

With the visualizations the usage jumps up to 60% and more.

This is with the latest justradio build 1.054.

There is a problem with the new build, though, and the station names. Some of the characters are rendered incorrectly:

post-146830-0-25778000-1420686079_thumb.post-146830-0-47972100-1420686087_thumb.

With the earlier builds all the characters were rendered correctly.

post-146830-0-60676100-1420685880_thumb.png

post-146830-0-25778000-1420686079_thumb.png

post-146830-0-47972100-1420686087_thumb.png

Edited by damley

I'm barely able to see the image. Can you send me your channel list? The cpu usage should be below 4% the whole time, at least on systems >= vista. The application uses Direct3D 10 and 9 as fallback since December.

Here's my dabradio.dat file. In 3 station names there is a square instead of a letter:

SCHLAGERPARADIES

radioBERLIN 88 8

FG_DJ_Radio_BRLN

Also, in this last one I don't think there were underline marks in the name with the previous versions of justradio.

DirectX 9c is the highest version of DirectX supported by XP, at least officially. There are reportedly hacked versions of DirectX 10 that work with XP, but I've never tried them. They aren't really 100% compatible, but maybe they would work with justradio?

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easily-install-and-download-directx-10-for-windows-xp

dabradio.txt

Edited by damley

XP gets no security updates since nearly a year (ok there a hacks to let it look like a other version for POS terminals, but that will you only get updates for software which is installed on POS terminals).

To make it short nobody shout use a XP pc with a connection to the internet any more.

And a big part of Just Radio is about internet streams.

So I think there is no need to addressed XP only problems in Just Radio.

But it is Christians decision.

Of course it's Christian's decision. But if that is the decision then it should be made known. For the record, DVBViewer works great with XP and I enjoy using it very much. I haven't experienced any problems and the program is incredibly versatile and configurable.

I use Justradio mainly for listening to DAB radio. Same dongle as for DVB-T. It's not really necessary to install separate software to listen to internet streaming. Many (most?) streams you can listen to using your browser and maybe a flash plugin. Maybe a separate program like Justradio is more convenient for some people, but to me it's just icing on the cake.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Edited by damley

Thanks for the database, i will check it once i finished another subproject.

I do not have any XP VM any longer, but i suppose i have an old Windows 2000 one somewhere on my backup drives. The speed issue is quite simple. Firemonkey tries to use DX10 Hardware and falls back to Software mode if any problem appears. I probably will add the ability to define the output mode via parameter. I will not create a version which does not use Firemonkey, since the original Justradio was designed for Mac and iOS platforms. I hope the DVBViewer will be able to play these stations and DAB sooner or later, but this will take time.

What i'm currently working on, while i do not sit over the DVBViewer is a database editor/importer for the radio stations. I daily get new stations via mail and it is quite awful to hack them into the xml database. Not sure if the app will ever become available for public, but at least it should help me to keep the database up to date.

Thanks for the feedback, Christian.

I changed my screen resolution to get some better screenshots.

post-146830-0-89648300-1420844056_thumb.png post-146830-0-78469000-1420844129_thumb.png post-146830-0-84471100-1420844100_thumb.png

Hope this helps. Normally the font for the station list is pretty small.

The speed issue is quite simple. Firemonkey tries to use DX10 Hardware and falls back to Software mode if any problem appears. I probably will add the ability to ...

Thanks for the background info. The good news is that Justradio never crashes because of the load.

I'm excited about future developments - but, take your time. Hopefully you get a little fun out of it all! :icecream:

Happy programming

Edited by damley

Thanks, yes sure i'am. What i now have is a sql database with all my radio stations inside and connected with cities and regions - inkl. the information about which kind of radio transmission (am, fm, dab). I unluckily forgot that in usa there are a bunch of other transmission formats (like HD). I also wrote an exporter which creates the database justradio is using. The cool thing is that i'm able to add new stations at ease. I can either select the country or province resp. city i want to add a station. I'm also able to remove stations from this db more easy. The reason for this was that i daily get new stations which are a pain to add at the moment. Till now i used a huge xml file with all the channels inside in combination with notepad. Right now i can do this via sql commands :)

Even if the app wont become public, its simpler to manage the stations which are right now (select count(id) from radios;) 25084. I did not added these pure internet stations to the database yet, which i kept up to date in a second xml file.

Christian

• 3 weeks later...

@Damley: The bug with the station names was quite nasty. By definition the maximum size of a descriptor is 16 bytes and the streams which have had weird characters at the end are always 16 byte in size. The reason is a missing #0 character at the end, which causes the utf8 decoder reading the text over the end. I will upload a fix later this week, once i finished updating the database manager tool. At the moment i add all the stations i received by mail since last year, which are a lot. Some of them are already inside the database, but some of them are not. Luckily i use a sql based system which detects double entries automatically.

• Like 1

Today i've submitted a new version of Just Radio mobile. It is a partial rewrite, caused by the experience i've collected while working with XCode and ObjectiveC in the last weeks. It is slightly faster, the cpu usage is probably lower (i measured this with the temperature of my iphone while betatesting in the gym) and it looks far more nicer than the previous builds. I also integrated it a bit more into the device. Sounds strange and means that i use the api to display the cover while playing a recognized song in the lock screen, fall back to the station logo if not and handle the volume regulator of a ear plug.

I also thought about theming the background depending on the weather information in the region of the station you currently listening, but everything except blue (for cold) looked awful. So i dropped the idea for the moment, until i found handsome colors for white fonts (e.g cold is #30a0ff to#1060ff at the moment).

IMG_1663.jpg IMG_1662.jpg

Christian

I really like Just Radio, but:

Norton Security deleted my "justradio.exe" because it detected a "Suspicious.Cloud.7.EP" ! :excl:

Suspicious.Cloud.7.EP is a particularly nasty strain of virus and it can have some quite devastating knock on effects on your PC. Strictly speaking this high risk infection isn’t a virus, although it is often mislabeled as one. Whatever you choose to call it, you certainly don’t want it on your computer so let’s take a little closer look at what it is and how it works.

Please fix as soon as possible :D

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I might consider this, especially since programming a timer without kept the application running in background under osx is one of the issues i'm currently working on.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this quite nice application! Trying the Windows version, I don't have a DAB card/stick, only a TV/FM radio PCI card. I see it works as an internet stream player which is great. After testing a few stations in my area (Greece), found that some play fine and several others not at all (like Kiss FM 92.9). Is this due to the absence of DAB? Thanks.

No, this is probably because the link is a mms file and no regular shoutcast stream. I will fix the player in order to deal Microsoft formats too, right now i focused on Shoutcast and AAC/Mpeg2 transmissions. Next release will be able to play these streams.

• Like 1

Thanks for your answer hackbart. A few suggestions for the excellent JR: a 'minimize to tray' option, ability to right-click the tray and browse/select a station from Favorites and also a mute option from the tray. About mute in the UI, it'd be nice if a single-click mute was possible (the left volume icon for example or a larger, more prominent icon) instead of having to use the slider. Another click would restore the previously set volume level.

Edited by Laserwave
  • 2 weeks later...

Suggestions and a bug report for JustRadio-1.0.5.7:

1. Tune To Last Station ("LastStation=" in justradio.ini) should be optional.

2. dabradio.dat should best be in text format, or maybe an XML file.

3. I would like to see an entry in option "DAB Scanner" for Hong Kong (frequency: 220.352).

4. Bug: DAB Radio does NOT appear in Root sometimes!!!

Thank you for your attention!

Yes a xml would be useful, at least for reading. I check the missing frequency. The bug has been fixed in the new version.

• 3 months later...

Weird, i made Tons of changes in the last months, and probably solved that issue. Just drop me a mail and i will send you the latest build. As you know i plan to publish a final build via justradio.org. The issue i stumbled on are just stupid eu related Problems with the VAT.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have recently upgraded (?) from Win 7 64bit to Win 10. Now Just Radio does not work with DAB.
Any hint of what to change or how to make it work, is appreciated.
The program it self starts as normal, but when I choose one of the previously scanned DAB-channels, 'nothing' happens.

BTW the DAB Player von Andreas Gsinn, does not work either.