Freeview EPG Problems

aatb

I have looked in the forums and in the Wiki and cannot find the answer to my problem. I live in the UK and many(but not all) of the channels I can successfully receive do not have sensible EPG data e.g. all BBC channels. I note than in the options that I can select Freesat EPG. and something called Mediahighway EPG data.

I can only assume that Mediahighway is not sending the correct information but I see no way to receive terrestrial Freeview EPG or any other source I can access. Video is fine, audio is fine but without EPG recording is a problem with random characters for the program title! Another DVB program is receiving (Freeview) EPG fine but it is very buggy otherwise hence my download of DVBViewer trial.

I do not believe my exact setup is relevant but I have fairly high end video and TBS 6281 dual tuner plus a very good signal strength so there is no other software or hardware issue.

Anybody got any ideas? Am I able to set up a config file to point at Freeview EPG - for example?

Thx Alan

Just noted that most of the EPG channels affected are HD most SD are OK

Obviously a bug but nobody seems interested in commenting so I shall move on to alternative software for my purposes.

I live in the UK and many(but not all) of the channels I can successfully receive do not have sensible EPG data (...) I see no way to receive terrestrial Freeview EPG or any other source I can access.

Unfortunately we can't receive terrestrial broadcasts from the UK in Germany, so there is no way for us to check how the EPG works.

Up to now we assumed that the Freeview EPG can be received / processed in the same way as the Freesat EPG. It's using a special Huffman coding / compression, and decoding works pretty well here (I can receive Astra 28° East).

However, if the Freeview EPG is using a different coding scheme or a different way to signal the coding, yielding random characters in the DVBViewer EPG, things are getting complicated... it will take some efforts to fix it, also on the user's side, because we would need Freeview transponder dumps to get some insight into the matter. This discussion gives an impression of what is required...

Just to make sure: Are there other UK users experiencing a garbled Freeview EPG for HD channels in DVBViewer?

Just noted that most of the EPG channels affected are HD most SD are OK

It's part of a content protection system, as you can read here. An official licence for EPG decoding requires support for HD content protection resp. recording restrictions, which is no urgent item on our to-do list, as you may understand... :innocent:

P.S. I've edited the topic title so it makes more clear what it is about.

Receiving UK terrestrial EPG to DVBViewer recording service fine here. No special config, no additional software or imports, it just works. To all channels including HD.

I don't have a DVB-T2 tuner to get the Freeview HD channels but with my DVB-T tuner using EPG Collector I've got a EPG dump from EIT with the 'Use FreeSat Huffman tables to translate compressed EIT text' option selected and all the HD freeview EPG details for channels available in my area show in the xml dump.

In my DVBViewer/recording services options I have all 3 receive EPG data options ticked