"Uploading" 8Gb ts file to DVBViewer

itksso

Hello everybody,

In our school we are running DVBViewer Pro 5.2.9 + Recordings Service 1.27.0 recording TV emissions since some time without problem.

Now we would like to "upload" a DVD to DVBViewer and use the webinterface to stream it to one computer which is connected to a Beamer. The DVD is the history of the school.

To do this I have done the following:

1. Convert the original DVD to a TS file which is several Gb in size.

2. Upload the file to "Movies" folder of the computer were DVBViewer&RS are running.

I was specting that DVBViewer would recognize the video but this is not the case.

The question is: is there a way to make DVBViewer recognize this video and make the video appear in, for example, the "recording" list so someone with acces to the webinterface will be able to stream it.

An another question, through the webinterface is it possible to have access to the contents of the folders:

Movies,Pictures,Music... and so on?

Best regards

Jaume

IT KSSO

Hi Jaume,

IMO is better to convert the DVD in MPEG2 or 4 (H.264) format; to view manually added files in RS Web interface you have, anyhow and at least, to "rebuild" the recordings DB (look within RS "commands" in the web interface) or manually create a proper "info file" and (if I remember well) restart RS; from DVBViewer wiki:

The Information file and the file info can be used to rebuild the recording database of the DVBViewer Recording Service. From this database the DVBViewer Recording Service gets all its informations about the recordings.

...somewere in the forum there are more info about that process, sorry for not remember where...

To see and access the other RS Media folders you can use the "UPnP server": in RS configuration "Web/UPnP", check "Enable UPnP AV server" and "Enable UPnP controller (EXPERIMENTAL)" and you can see and play them clicking "UPnP Media" button in the RS web interface, but take in mind that non all files types can be streamed... without DVBViewer as RS client, I would prefer VLC to play them.

Good luke and please, let us know your progress

:bye:

Edited by Gioxy
  • Like 1
IMO is better to convert the DVD in MPEG2

There is no need for conversion or re-packing to another container format (like TS). The VOB files on a DVD are MPEG2, or more precisely MPEG2 program stream (PS). DVBViewer can play them "as they are", provided they are not encrypted resp. copy-protected. However, you may want to rename them to .mpg, which is a more common file extension for MPEG2 PS.

Since VOB files are limited to 1 GB size, the video may be split into several VOB files on a DVD. They can be joined to a single .mpg file by using the TSPlayer (download from the customer area -> tools section):

http://www.DVBViewer.com/griga/TSPlayer_Manual_E/TSPMainControls.html#Join

• Like 1

whether mpg will work or not, I can't tell. But as @Gioxy wrote, UPnP is what Jaume wants :)

To see and access the other RS Media folders you can use the "UPnP server": in RS configuration "Web/UPnP", check "Enable UPnP AV server" and "Enable UPnP controller (EXPERIMENTAL)" and you can see and play them clicking "UPnP Media" button in the RS web interface, but take in mind that non all files types can be streamed... without DVBViewer as RS client, I would prefer VLC to play them.

• Like 1

I forget to mention that the school doesn't have a flat network structure but a strucutred one with VLANs to reduce broadcats traffic. Every building has he own VLAN and therefore protocols like UPnP should not work in our network in principle.

Confirming the last point, once enabled "Enable UPnP AV server" and "Enable UPnP controller (EXPERIMENTAL)" were enabled, I was able to access the file from a variety of devices: Windows Pc, iPAD with an special app, Samsung Smartphones and even from a high-end TV but only if the device was in the same building (broadcast domain) as the server were DVBViewer/RS runs.

On the other hand, through the webinterface option "UPnP Datein(Files)"(sorry my software is in german), I was able to acces the acces the folder "Movies" and play the TS file with the following methods: "Direkt Verbindung"(direct connection) and "Stream zum Webbrowser"(stream to browser. Needs Flash) from everywhere in the school.

So, problem, solved !!!

Thank you for the help

Jaume

IT KSSO

Edited by itksso

@Griga:

I'm sorry I shrinked to much my answer about DVD->file conversion; what I wanted to suggest to itksso is to "create" a MPEG 2 or 4 (PS) unique file from his DVD, but I wasn't aware of "Joining files" function of your great tool TSPlayer... really useful and nice!

Cheers

:bye: