How to rename channel name to SID?

mannypr

Hello, My provider uses its SID as the channel name.

When I scan using transedit all channels are named sequentially, I need the channels to be renamed to its SID setting.

I ve been struggling to sort my channels so they appear named after its sid number.

I have look all over transedit and channel manager to do this automatically but no dice.

Yes, I could do it manually, but it would take forever, they are about 800 channels.

I searched around this forum onto similar post but none cover my needs.

So if anyone know how to this, please lend me a hand here.

Edited by mannypr
My provider uses its SID as the channel name.

Which provider? Are you sure? TransEdit labels the scan results as "Service XXXX" if it can't read the SDT (Service Description Table).

The provider is ch@rlie.

The SDT are being scanned ok, all metadata like NAME, CATEGORY, PROVIDER are being downloaded correctly.

The issue is that channel editor does not allow for SID sorting. Each scanned channel is being name sequentially named (eg channel0 but SID is 100).

I have used other other programs to scan like dvblink or dvb dream just to test, and all of them renames with corresponding SID as the channel name.

I love DVBViewer and is my main means to watch DVB, but this drives nuts, not being able to dial a channel directly. Everything else works beautifully.

The issue is that channel editor does not allow for SID sorting.

TransEdit allows to sort the scan results by Service ID. Just click the SID column title. Is this what you need?

Each scanned channel is being name sequentially named (eg channel0 but SID is 100).

..delete your channel list (or part of it) and perform a scan with transedit. Before sending the scan to the DVBViewer you can sort the channels according to their SIDs

Snap303.png

Thanks for the answers.

Board Inventar, this method if for visually sort the channels and arrangement, this does not rename the channel name to its SID value. The only thing this method do is make the channels sid sequentially appear on the list.

[channel0]
TunerType=1
Frequency=12326
Polarity=h
Symbolrate=20000
FEC=3
APID=7715
Language=eng
VPID=7714
PMTPID=33
TelePID=0
PCRPID=7714
StreamID=208
NetworkID=4102
SID=7781
AC3=0
LNB-Selection=0
LNB=11250
DiseqC=2
DiSEqCValue=0
Root=An example
Name=Example
Category=Example
Provider=Example
Encrypted=0
SatModulation=1
Group=0
OrbitalPos=2500
In this example please notice that SID value is 7781 but channel is name 0. I need a a way ti rename channel value to 7781.

Could someone please suggest how to do this renaming? Maybe a script or something.

Edited by mannypr

ok, to better explain myself, this is how the other DVB program does it, after applying this filter it would rename all channel names to its sid value:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Vjz5tcrYFDTXd0V3I2Sk8wTGM/view?usp=sharing

And also can be done at other dvb-s programs. I dont want to use other programs, I would like to keep using DVBViewer.

So if some one has a suggestion it would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

By the lack of answer, should I infer there is no solution to this problem? Should I open a support request? Or should I look other place for a solution?

If there anyone with enough knowledge, please help.

TransEdit uses this a fall-back but is is not possible if the channel name is detected correct.

You could export the channel list as .csv open it in a spreadsheet program. And copy the SID column to the channel name column. Save the .csv and import it in DVBViewer.

• Like 2

Ok, looks like I am getting warmer, but still.

When editing the file, I don''t seem to recognize which of the variable pertains to the channel number.

This the view when exported to csv format:

Root Category Name TunerType DiseqC LNB-Selection LNB Frequency Polarity Symbolrate FEC APID VPID PMTPID PCRPID AC3 TelePID SID StreamID Encrypted NetworkID SatModulation SatModulationSystem Group Language AudioChannel EPGFlag Volume OrbitalPos DiSEqCValue SubStreamID

Is there a new variable (column) I should add?

Is there any possible way to modify the importcsv.dll to accommodate this variable so when I import the csv file, DVBViewer acknowledges this variable as the [channelX] value?

TransEdit uses this a fall-back but is is not possible if the channel name is detected correct.

You could export the channel list as .csv open it in a spreadsheet program. And copy the SID column to the channel name column. Save the .csv and import it in DVBViewer.

Tjod, thanks for the idea, but there is no channel name column...

Edited by mannypr

Thanks for the answers.

Board Inventar, this method if for visually sort the channels and arrangement, this does not rename the channel name to its SID value. The only thing this method do is make the channels sid sequentially appear on the list.

[channel0]
TunerType=1
Frequency=12326
Polarity=h
Symbolrate=20000
FEC=3
APID=7715
Language=eng
VPID=7714
PMTPID=33
TelePID=0
PCRPID=7714
StreamID=208
NetworkID=4102
SID=7781
AC3=0
LNB-Selection=0
LNB=11250
DiseqC=2
DiSEqCValue=0
Root=An example
Name=Example
Category=Example
Provider=Example
Encrypted=0
SatModulation=1
Group=0
OrbitalPos=2500
In this example please notice that SID value is 7781 but channel is name 0. I need a a way ti rename channel value to 7781.

Could someone please suggest how to do this renaming? Maybe a script or something.

..could it be that you are confusing things? In your example 0 is not the channel name. It's the channel number that is used to select a service. The channel name ist "Example" ;)

• Like 1

OHhhh no. I just realized that I have mixed the terms. When I meant channel name, meant SID to channel number number. :thumbsdown:

I am truly sorry!!! So stupid of me. I have mislead you guy, it's my fault you have not been able to help. :|

..could it be that you are confusing things? In your example 0 is not the channel name. It's the channel number that is used to select a service. The channel name ist "Example" ;)

Derrick, thanks for pointing it out. :blush:

Yes I screwed this, sorry I was wasting your time.

But getting back to the topic. Can I rename SID to channel# aka [channel] ?

Thank you guys for all the replies. :sadwalk:

The channel numbers is a the result of the position in the channel list.

The first channel gets the number 0 the second 1 and so on.

It is not possible to have gaps in the channel numbers.

So to get a channel with SID=7781 the channel number 7781 you have to put 7781 channels before this one in you channel list.

So not really possible.

• Like 1

Really?! That is a shame, its makes me sad.

I have a nice HTPC setup, I use DVBViewer as my dvb-s2 frontend, I even installed a FLIRC and have the TV remote fully working with DVBViewer (it works wonderfully).

The idea is to have the channels arranged equally as my STB. Its a pain in the butt dialing a channel when they are scrambled like this.

This was the last milestone to make it perfect. :( I wanted DVBViewer to be frontend becase its OSD is simply awesome and the best out there, hands down.

Every other competitor products do this SID to channel# sorting, but DVBViewer does everything else supremely when compared.

Do you guys think that someday this could be fixed? I just hope...

Do you really dial xxxx on your rc to tune a channel?

The channel list (channels.dat) of the DVBViewer stems from the very early days of dvb on a pc. Have a look with a hexeditor. It starts with B2C2 which was the chip manufacturer of the 1st Technisat S1 card. The channels.dat has been revised a couple of times but it's still same rigid scheme. And it always starts with "0" :D

Do you guys think that someday this could be fixed? I just hope...

...would you believe it? ;)

Do you really dial xxxx on your rc to tune a channel?

The channel list (channels.dat) of the DVBViewer stems from the very early days of dvb on a pc. Have a look with a hexeditor. It starts with B2C2 which was the chip manufacturer of the 1st Technisat S1 card. The channels.dat has been revised a couple of times but it's still same rigid scheme. And it always starts with "0" :D

...would you believe it? ;)

Well yes, I need to dial by SID. I am not the only one that uses the HTPC, is for the family use also. My wife and kids knows their SID by from memory and they dial it directly...

Anyhow thanks all of you who took the time to reply. This is one of the reasons DVBViewer is the best, without its community such a product would not be possible.