Sat>IP Alignment Tool for Android and iOS

Derrick

ok, found it :)

..but I must say it's a step back to the early beginnings of the DVBViewer. Hard coded, outdated transponder lists is not what I expected.

What do you mean with step back? The Code is based on the DVBViewer and very well restructured by griga. The Network stack is based on synapse which i had to rewrite partially (http://delphi.cz/post/Synapse-Android-a-iOS-hack.aspx). It runs fine on almost every *ix based system. The transponder lists can be updated by the App and the current lists are equal to those from the DVBViewer.

• Like 1

Well,DVBViewer's lists are not up-to-date either ;) There's no possibility to edit the parameters, even worse they don't show.

With my card TBS5925 the right gauge doesn't work. DVBViewer shows 59% signal and transedit 51% quality (19E, 11362H). The alignment tools shows 59% signal and 0% quality.

After closing the tool, it takes quite a time before the device is released.

The alignment tools shows 59% signal and 0% quality.

Due to the known BDA limitations the Recording Service doesn't send a quality value to SAT>IP clients. The signal value is the same as in DVBViewer and may be the signal strength or signal quality (whatever is more usable) depending on the DVB device used by the Recording Service.

Due to the known BDA limitations the Recording Service doesn't send a quality value to SAT>IP clients. The signal value is the same as in DVBViewer and may be the signal strength or signal quality (whatever is more usable) depending on the DVB device used by the Recording Service.

A nice tool, but sadly not much use to me without a signal quality measurement. My "Signal" is always at 98%, unless the LNB is disconnected. Are those "limitations" fixable? DVBViewer GE shows quality, so I presume the issue is with RS. Would it be possible for the user to choose the figure, depending on device? Strength is better for my DVB-T tuner (in DVBViewer), quality for DVB-S.

I have been aligning a new dish this week and this tool could have been useful, instead of using my Android tablet with VNC to the server and trying to control TransEdit via touch screen while balancing on a ladder.

The other reason for using TE is the positioner console to control the motor. Is it likely this would ever be developed for the Alignment Tool? That would make it very attractive. Users with multi-LNB setups might also appreciate a switching capability.

The Satfinder page could still be quite useful. I've been using a similar tool but don't trust it's accuracy. If you use a "smart case" (with magnets to detect closure), you need to take the tablet out for the sensors to work! The device does seem a bit fragile outside the case when you're working up a ladder.

The figures looked a bit strange ("Elevation: 4583.6°") when I first tried it (downstairs) last night, though they look OK now I'm nearer the roof. Maybe the calculated values should be suppressed until a GPS lock is obtained.

Edited by QBox User

The Satfinder page could still be quite useful. I've been using a similar tool but don't trust it's accuracy. If you use a "smart case" (with magnets to detect closure), you need to take the tablet out for the sensors to work!

Systems which calculate azimuth based on GPS are very accurate. You're outside anyway ;)

The transponder lists can be updated by the App

I couldn't find the option for this. The menu icon at bottom right doesn't respond. Android 4.4/Nexus 7

The Satfinder page could still be quite useful. I've been using a similar tool but don't trust it's accuracy. If you use a "smart case" (with magnets to detect closure), you need to take the tablet out for the sensors to work!

Systems which calculate azimuth based on GPS are very accurate. You're outside anyway ;)

The virtual reality apps rely on compass readings.

Yes and i set the GPS sensor to 1000m in Detail. There is no reason to get your position more exact and the sensor eats a lot battery power otherwise. The calculated values are also correct and as i said earlier the compass is not quite correct since you use the magnetometer xyz fieldvalues (in microtesla) with the gyro sensor to calc the compass value.

And to be honest Derrick, i do not understand the discussion. The project is for SES and i included the AR since i liked to have such a thing. The project itself was only about sat>ip. Parsing NIT, PAT, SDT and presenting the quality and signal with a gauge.

The project itself was only about sat>ip. Parsing NIT, PAT, SDT and presenting the quality and signal with a gauge.

OK, but you named it Sat>IP Alignment Tool. I wouldn't use it for aligning a satellite dish, at least with signal strength only from DVBViewer ;) A compass can only provide a course direction. If you have a satellite picture you can use landmarks for exact alignment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will reupload a new version. There seem to be problems with the with the augmented reality part of the App. The iOS Version passed the review and will become published once i get the ok from SES.

• 1 month later...

Hello

Great app !!

I have not tried it while adjusting anything, but if it is responding fast enough it is really great!!

A question: does it get the transponderlists from DVBViewer/Recordsevice? or are they , as I think, a part of the app, and can not be updated?

I especially miss these frequencies on 0.8W

10716 to10934
are there any way to get both meters to work?

The transponder lists are the same like in the pro. I plan to update them in the near future, but not via offering newer lists on our server, they are stored in a zip file bundled with the app.

Right now we (SES and me) try to polish the application. I had to speed up the rendering process which is quite a pain. In order to save time i used Firemonkey for iOS and Android, which is a performance break. Anyhow the backend runs fine and you receive the signal information provided from your Sat>ip server quite easily. It also prompts you the dish settings (Angle, Tilt etc) which should help you adjusting the dish.

The android version does no longer have the Augmented Reality code. The reason is that the compass has to become calculated by the sensor data which is not really correct - but I will add it in an other update. It simply took to much time to develop this feature and i really like pointing my mobile around while staring at the horizon.

• 2 months later...

I tried this. It would have been useful as I need to align a new LNB. I downloaded it from the store, it was dated 19 Jun 2014.

But it didn't run - not on my Sansung Android 4.0.4 tablet, or on a Samsung Android phone.

On the tablet I just get a black screen, then it returns to the 'desktop', on the phone I get a black screen, then briefly a picture of a planet, then back to the deskop again.

It t has been tested in Samsung devices at SES, i tested it in a Nexus 7 and Huawei Mediapad X1 with KitKat and Jelly Bean. The listed crash log by Google was only by Intel devices running the app in an Emulator.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I'm a registered user of DVBViewer Pro. Now I like to check the Android SAT>IP Alignment tool. The problem is with my hardware SAT>IP server: it don't send RTCP messages, only the RTP stream. Yes, this little server is not implementing the full specifications of the SAT>IP server, but it works and it's inexpensive!

After reading the full specification I realized that two different ways exist to receive information about tuner:

- Section 3.5.15.1. Description (of RTCP Announcements): Using RTCP messages received over the RTP UDP port+1.

- Section 3.5.7 Listing available media streams (DESCRIBE) page 39: Using the parameter "a=" in the RTSP response to a DESCRIBE request.

Then my request is to add the option of using also the DESCRIBE command to receive the tuner info.

I check messages from my server, and it is sending the tuner status in all responses to DESCRIBE commands. Then two different ways exists to receive this info. And I suggest to add support for both.

Please, can you implement this?

Thanks a lot!

To be honest, the project was made for SES and even if i planned to update certain features i did not found time to do so. Yes the tool uses RTCP for the signal and quality information retrieval.

To be honest, the project was made for SES and even if i planned to update certain features i did not found time to do so. Yes the tool uses RTCP for the signal and quality information retrieval.

Hi,

But not only in the Android App, but in DVBViewer Pro, will be productive if you support both techniques to receive staus info. For example, if you don't receive RTCP messages (or status info with these messages) then when you send the OPTIONS message in RTSP to maintain the connection open, you can also send a DESCRIBE message to obtain the status info. It's not too complex: IF not status_info THEN request_status; ... when send OPTIONS: IF request_status THEN send_options AND send_describe.

I hope you will upgrade the software for supporting more SAT>IP devices.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

The transponder lists are the same like in the pro. I plan to update them in the near future, but not via offering newer lists on our server, they are stored in a zip file bundled with the app.

Right now we (SES and me) try to polish the application. I had to speed up the rendering process which is quite a pain. In order to save time i used Firemonkey for iOS and Android, which is a performance break. Anyhow the backend runs fine and you receive the signal information provided from your Sat>ip server quite easily. It also prompts you the dish settings (Angle, Tilt etc) which should help you adjusting the dish.

The android version does no longer have the Augmented Reality code. The reason is that the compass has to become calculated by the sensor data which is not really correct - but I will add it in an other update. It simply took to much time to develop this feature and i really like pointing my mobile around while staring at the horizon.

Hello

any new about updating transponderlists? or are there a way we can do that ourselves?

- and not to forget : great app!! :original: