VLC player EPG...

thor2002ro

I just got DVBViewer for recording service... I use it for my tv backend works great...

is there a plugin that can give me some epg information in vlc? at least for current program...

• Like 1

There is no plugin for that im aware of. Do you know which EPG format VLC requires? If it supports XMLTV format your options is plentyful. Most grabbers produce XMLTV.

VLC can process normal EPG data embedded in a transportstream (PID 18). The RS sends it to RTSP clients resp. clients that are using the RTSP channellist exported by the RS:

RS Web Interface -> Timeline -> click on some channel -> RTSP Channellist (.m3u) -> open the .m3u file with VLC -> Tools -> Program Guide

I just tried rtsp channellist in vlc Tools -> Program Guide is still empty :(

and yes channel has epg... I can see it on the website...

the channel has epg... it shows up in DVBViewer...

no idea what ETI EPG is... I'm new to this "dvb show"

I left VLC program guide window open even for 1h... showed nothing...

Standard DVB EPG is transmitted as EIT (Event Information Table) with PID 0x0012. If the EPG is showing up in DVBViewer, VLC should show it as well if you used a correct RTSP url.

Snap301.png

You art not using the RTSP Channellist (.m3u) there are two different lists in the web interface and you are using the non rtsp one.

If you download the list it is called rtspchannels.m3u

The URL in the list should be like that: rtsp: //127.0.0.1:554/?freq=522&msys=dvbt&bw=8&tnr=2...

..open the transponder 434MHz in transedit and check the analyser window. Can you see the events you're looking for in the left window of analyser under Actual TS (PID 18)?

Snap303.png

OK my fault it doesn't work in TransEdit 4.0.8 (but the next version will be able to Analyze play lists).

Try the suggestion from Derrick Analyze the transponder from you DVB-C transponder list.

Ok, I found out why it does not work. The VLC EPG additionally requires the SDT (PID 17). I've lately added it to the RTSP URLs in an internal RS version, but it's missing in the release.

The RTSP URLs contain pids=0,18,... at the end. It should work if you manually change it to pids=0,17,18... You can try to change it in a text editor with "search and replace" for the whole list.

vlc you can get everywhere.... and I don't have to deal with license on every pc I wanna watch tv....

including some work laptop that has vlc preinstalled and I don't have admin rights to install...

in one word to answer your question... "mobility"

Then it would be much better to access the dvb device directly. After tunung you could also switch to other programmes within a transponder. But that is not possible with DVBViewer/RS.

Snap311.png

I only have dvb-c don't see what advantage I would get...

also I have multiple tuners for multiple clients so anyone can watch what they want and RS handles that great...

• 2 weeks later...

found another issue with the current version of recording service....

rtsp - apart from pid 18 missing for epg its also missing subtitle pids and some second audio pids that are not consecutive...

Only information that is stored in the channel list can be added in future.

And because of limitations of the channel.dat format it is not possible to add subtitles to the RTSP list automatically.

There are channellist limitations, but the basic problem is that you want to do everything with a Sat>IP "thin client" like VLC and a static URL. It's not designed for what you want. Audio track /subtitle handling usually requires a full-featured Sat>IP client that dynamically requests PIDs from the server on demand. You should rethink your concept.

you guys haven't really given me an answer ... as a software developer myself I find it disturbing blaming client software for something you can do in your own software... if theres a limitation shouldn't you guys work on that and not using it as an excuse?

well then if you cant change the format, improve with algorithm... the fact that the pid shows up in the codec tab saying that its a subtitle I suppose theres some metadata you can interpret and pass to the stream...

You don't understand. VLC doesn't request any information. All PIDs have to be known a priori. To watch subtitles, you have to edit the URLs cos the channellist does not contain dvb subtitle pids.

it doesn't contain the pid... but in vlc if you go to codec information you see the dvb subtitle with the pid there even if url doesn't contain it...

the pid is named "original id" so I guess this metadata can be easily used to add subtitle pid into playlist generation

here is an example

post-148033-0-33725900-1424726740_thumb.jpg

Yes the algorithm in VLC need to be improved.

VLC is able to detect pid, but not to request pid which are not in the play list.

VLC is only a Sat>IP "thin client" and not a real Sat>IP client (which are able to manage there channel list on its own).

but in vlc if you go to codec information you see the dvb subtitle with the pid there even if url doesn't contain it...

It finds the PIID(s) in the PMT (Program Map Table). A true Sat>IP Client would not only display the possibility of getting a subtitle stream, but request it from the server as soon as the user wants to see it. VLC is not (yet) able to do it. DVBViewer is.

Broadcasters often add subtitle PIDs dynamically to the PMT or remove it, depending on the broadcasted content. In this case it is not possible to know beforehand if and how subtitles are available.

You need to understand that the PMT is based on a dynamic concept. "Static" clients like VLC can't adapt to it. Don't blame the server. Accept it or use software that is able to do what you want.

Yes the algorithm in VLC need to be improved.

VLC is able to detect pid, but not to request pid which are not in the play list.

VLC is only a Sat>IP "thin client" and not a real Sat>IP client (which are able to manage there channel list on its own).

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN "SPECIAL CLIENTS"

this can be done with rtsp playlist generation...

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN "SPECIAL CLIENTS"

That's your problem. You are insisting in using the wrong tool - like someone who tries to drive a nail into the wall by using scissors. You won't succeed.

this can be done with rtsp playlist generation...

No the information is not present (in the RS) at play list generation time (see posts above).

But it is easy accessible by the client at playback time.

There are channellist limitations, but the basic problem is that you want to do everything with a Sat>IP "thin client" like VLC and a static URL. It's not designed for what you want. Audio track /subtitle handling usually requires a full-featured Sat>IP client that dynamically requests PIDs from the server on demand. You should rethink your concept.

Maybe the DVBViewer should rethink its concept ;)

It is obvious that the insufficient channellist can't solve the problem. The recording engine shows that it is possible to record elementary streams (e.g. dvb subtitles),that are not described in channellist. This principle could be easily extended for thin clients. Then the url only has to contain the necessary tuning parameters and the SID. The RS tunes to the transponder and sends all or a selected number of PIDs to the client. A selection could be made the same way as for the recordings engine.

Snap320.png

The UPnP Streaming is based on the channel list.

But if the RS works as Sat>IP Server. The channel list is not involved. And detecting which channel it tuned is not easily possible.