thumbnail generator issue or ffmpeg bug?

majstang

This is a tricky one. Im not sure how this issue should be classified. Im having trouble with my thumbnail copy system for dummy database entries. DVBViewer Recording Properties and Vthumbs.exe together with ffmpeg 2013-08-07 and all later ffmpeg versions produces grey thumbnails (not for original recording though). Vthumbs.exe together with ffmpeg version from 2013-08-01 and earlier produces perfect thumbnails (for both original recording and the thumbnail copy video).

I can produce a perfect thumbnail out of the thumbnail copy video with all versions of ffmpeg alone (meaning not using vthumbs.exe or DVBRP). So from being absolutely sure this is a ffmpeg bug, im not so sure anymore. The greyness output problem occurs only if trying to produce a thumbnail out of thumbnail copy video with vthumbs.exe together with ffmpeg 2013-08-07 and later. Can something in the vthumbs.exe "video to thumbnail" ffmpeg syntax be problematic? When using vthumbs.exe there is no output log on the console, like if using ffmpeg alone, so no conclutions can be drawn.

How to reproduce:

Im on Win7 32-bit so download Zeranoe FFmpeg win32 static version from 2013-08-01 and FFmpeg win32 static version from 2013-08-07...from here

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/

Download these small (17 kB) thumbnail copy videos:

1. Made with ffmpeg 2013-08-01

2. Made with ffmpeg 2013-08-07

samples.rar

Provided DVBViewer Recording Properties is installed set the "large icons" option in the explorer for the folder where these files are located. The thumbnail for the file 2013-08-01 is good, but grey for 2013-08-07.

Settings for DVBVPropertyHandler.ini looks like this:

[Main]

enablethumbs=1
Offset=360
ReadNetwork=1
[Ext]
ts=1
mpg=1
avi=1
flv=1
mp4=1
m4v=1
m2ts=1
mkv=1
vob=1
mpeg=1
m2t=1
divx=1
mts=1

Second way to reproduce:

If opening the console and run these files via c:\program files\DVBViewer>vthumbs "path-and-one-of-the-files.ts"

the same result can be seen. The thumbnail .jpg vthumbs and ffmpeg produces is successful for first case and grey for second.

Maybe this can be looked at just to rule out a DVBViewer Recording Properties/thumbnail generator bug, before taking it to the ffmpeg guys? I know i wont get any help from them because of the simple fact all ffmpeg versions alone produces good thumbnails out of both thumbnail copy videos .

Regards

majstang